• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there any place that you won't/don't OC?

Gene Beasley

imported post

Is there any place that you won't OC (excluding those prohibited by law, private property rules (e.i. business), or employer rules)? If so, do you CC there or not carry at all?

The wife has become much more accustomed to me carrying everywhere now that the weather is warming. Due to my schedule, I'm not able to attend church - which meets in an elementary school anyway so it's a moot point. I had CC'd at a prior church that had their own building. I did this until I started playing drums and bass which put me up front.

Recent trips have taken me to the credit union, which is new for me to OC though not new to others here. These had been only places that I have thought that I wouldn't OC, but likely CC. Now that OC has become the norm for me, I'm giving this some more thought.

About the only thing I've been able to come up with is if I intend to try to work someplace; I think I would give it a rest dropping of an app. Not looking, but if the right PT gig comes up. I don't have that many in-laws and my family isn't phased. I must be overlooking something. Any thoughts?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Places I work at as a sales agent when I'm not working. This includes Wal Mart, Fred Meyer, Top Foods, Grocery Outlet, and other local grocery or retail stores. I can't afford a negative encounter. Sportsman's Warehouse is on the list of places I work at on occassion and I would probably OC there, but other than that I keep a low profile at places I have to go into and work. I extend this to stores outside of Thurston County as well. So I don't OC in any Wal Mart or any Top Foods, etc...

I haven't OC'd in Wells Fargo, although I've OC'd at their ATMs. I really haven't had the opportunity to OC in the branch as I use the bank so rarely and the three branches in Thurston County are out of my way.:(

So mainly I don't OC (but will CC) at I work in. (But no carry WHILE working)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't like to OC in rather crowded places where I will be jammed in a crowd with people and prefer to CC, especially if it is someplace that I know I will be distracted by other things. I also don't OC during the business day around customers.

G27

imported post

As I am sure many of you know from our meetings or just seeing you around town I hardly ever open carry. Don't get me wrong, I fully support the right to but CC just happens to be easier for me. I think Marty said it best in another post.

I would much rather go about my business on a daily basis armed but not advertising such. The arguments have been bantered back and forth on OC v. CC, and the intent of my post is not to renew that argument, just give my opinion. OC has it's place, (like the other day when I hopped on my quad to go rescue a lost hiker in the woods), or even if one tries on a suit jacket at the Bon, but it is my belief that while OC may be a right, CC is a privilege, and is more suited for the urban lifestyle.
Again, don't get me wrong. There is a time and a place for everything. I do OC occasionally but do not go out of my way to do such.

sailor628

imported post

I CC at church on Sundays but have been dabbling with OC for some weekday activies, worship practice, garage sale setup etc. No negative comments so far. I may start OCing at all church functions eventually. Otherwise I OC everywhere the law allows when I'm in the mood. I am not able to carry at work but they give me thousand$ of reasons to do as they say. The first OC in a bank (Columbia Credit Union) was a little strange for me but nobody seemed to care.

just_a_car

imported post

For places that are not prohibited by law, I will simply answer that YES, sometimes I do CC versus OC. I can't (and won't for a little while) admit online as to why I CC instead of OC at a certain place, but I have a damn good reason and one I highly doubt anyone here could fault me for.... ask me in person if you want to know.

Also, when I carry around my family, I CC, since they don't even know I own a handgun, much less carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given that the last poll on OCDO on the subject indicated that about 75% of the members have a concealed carry permit and CC at least on occasion when they feel it more appropriate or convenient, I don't think most anyone is going to take anyone "wrong" for CCing. Just throwing that out there ....

just_a_car

imported post

I appreciate the comment, deepdiver, but I was just trying to make a point with the way I worded my statement: That the area and situation I CC in is one that, if I did OC, would likely get a SWAT team called and my life and my future would be ruined; not by the LEO's being called, but by the fallout of just possessing a firearm, even though it's legal.

It should be pretty easy to figure out what I'm refering to, but I will not state it blatantly online until it is no longer a factor in deciding the direction of my life.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wasn't commenting directly to you just_a_car and sorry if it seemed I was. I meant it generally. Given that we had 2 people qualify their CC in this thread and I didn't want our many newcomers to get the wrong idea about things.

Richard6218

imported post

I've come in a bit late on this thread but it's exactly what most of my posts have been about in the past couple weeks. From some rather contentious and bitter lessons learned the hard way, most grocery stores and drug stores are now off-limits for me. I went into a small deli for lunch the other day OC'ing and the owner was visibly disturbed by the OC but didn't say anything.I'm surehe was glad when I left. I think I will add most restaurants to my personal no-OC list.

The lesson learned was that if a store owner/manager doesn't want us to OC and tells us his policy, we have absolutely no legal grounds to dispute him. We have to comply or risk arrest for trespass (after the legal preliminaries). So our challenge is to figure out which places will or will not allow OC, and exercise that privilege when they do. This site is a great resource for finding out whichcompanies have which policies. As folks have more encounters I would hope that the outcomesare posted so others don't step into a trap.

44Brent

imported post

Like deepdiver, I would conceal if I would have to be present in a large crowd of people in close proximity.

neddis

imported post

I can't OC at work and choose not to at church. I have only been OCing for less than a week now though, so I am sure my list will grow with time. I am going to be taking the class and applying for an Oregon CHL (and Washington soon after) so I will probably CC at church. The nature of my employment pretty much prohibits any type of carry, even though CC is technically legal.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
I've come in a bit late on this thread but it's exactly what most of my posts have been about in the past couple weeks. From some rather contentious and bitter lessons learned the hard way, most grocery stores and drug stores are now off-limits for me. I went into a small deli for lunch the other day OC'ing and the owner was visibly disturbed by the OC but didn't say anything.I'm surehe was glad when I left. I think I will add most restaurants to my personal no-OC list.

The lesson learned was that if a store owner/manager doesn't want us to OC and tells us his policy, we have absolutely no legal grounds to dispute him. We have to comply or risk arrest for trespass (after the legal preliminaries). So our challenge is to figure out which places will or will not allow OC, and exercise that privilege when they do. This site is a great resource for finding out whichcompanies have which policies. As folks have more encounters I would hope that the outcomesare posted so others don't step into a trap.
All the places I've eaten at while OCing have either (A) Not given a rip, or (B) Actually welcomed OC.

In fact I can think of one place I've OC'd where I could tell the manager was unhappy with me having a gun and I won't be going back there. It was a bookshop and they have always tended to be a little too far to the left for my tastes.

heresolong

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:

I still find your case very interesting Richard. I carry in the same places you do and have never had one single problem. Not one manager, not one complaint. What do you carry and in what kind of holster?

Richard6218

imported post

Answer to heresolong's question about why I seem to be a s--- magnet: I really don't know. In the case of Cost Cutter, the manager accosted me as I was approaching the checkout line and he was loaded for bear. Never a word between us until then, and in fact I had never seen the guy. I've been thinking about the Haggen case and I have a real suspicion it goes to an encounter I had with one of the butchers who approached me about a week before. He made some sarcastic remark about the "decoration" on my belt and asked why I had it. I said the standard line about 2A, etc., and he walked away. I thought it was over, but I think it was he who complained to the manager. Next time I came in the store the mgr came looking for me and said something about customers, but I think he was acting on something from that butcher. I went in there a couple days ago and the butcher was leaving after his shift, and he gave me a really sly kind of look that said "gotcha".

It might be that my big Glock is pretty conspicuous. I carry it in a paddle holster on my right side. When my jeans droop down as they tend to do after an hour or so, the gun tilts outward. (This is bad, too, because it makes it almost impossible to draw from the lack of tension in my belt.) Maybe I should switch to my little S&W .38 and stick it in my waistband. OR ---- to be really conspicuous I could carry my shiny stainless steel Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag with the 8" barrel
lol.gif

Seriously, though, I don't have a clue as to why I've had trouble in these stores. For some reason it seems people notice me, or seem to notice, more than I realized. And I rarely if ever talk to anyone while I'm there. Sooooo----????????

Bear 45/70

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Answer to heresolong's question about why I seem to be a s--- magnet: I really don't know. In the case of Cost Cutter, the manager accosted me as I was approaching the checkout line and he was loaded for bear. Never a word between us until then, and in fact I had never seen the guy. I've been thinking about the Haggen case and I have a real suspicion it goes to an encounter I had with one of the butchers who approached me about a week before. He made some sarcastic remark about the "decoration" on my belt and asked why I had it. I said the standard line about 2A, etc., and he walked away. I thought it was over, but I think it was he who complained to the manager. Next time I came in the store the mgr came looking for me and said something about customers, but I think he was acting on something from that butcher. I went in there a couple days ago and the butcher was leaving after his shift, and he gave me a really sly kind of look that said "gotcha".

It might be that my big Glock is pretty conspicuous. I carry it in a paddle holster on my right side. When my jeans droop down as they tend to do after an hour or so, the gun tilts outward. (This is bad, too, because it makes it almost impossible to draw from the lack of tension in my belt.) Maybe I should switch to my little S&W .38 and stick it in my waistband. OR ---- to be really conspicuous I could carry my shiny stainless steel Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag with the 8" barrel
lol.gif

Seriously, though, I don't have a clue as to why I've had trouble in these stores. For some reason it seems people notice me, or seem to notice, more than I realized. And I rarely if ever talk to anyone while I'm there. Sooooo----????????

Try suspenders to prevent the belt drop. I use these because they work better than regular suspenders.

http://www.orcacustom.com/harness/harness.html

Richard6218

imported post

sv- Your point is well taken about the restaurants. But until we actually go into a place we can't know how we will be received, unless we have second-hand info such as reports from others on this list.

Here's another thought: If we cross off every business we can't (won't) go to because of a negative encounter, what will that leave us with? If I crossed off both Haggen and Cost Cutter from my list, I would then have to drive about 7 extra miles to shop for groceries. So I'm just punishing myself, and the store hasn't really lost anything.