• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Script from which to introduce and argue the petitioned resolutions.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mr. Chariman, Supervisors, Ladies and Gentlemen;

Thank you for the opportunity to present these petitions and my remarks defending the resolutions.

I am not an attorney and will avoid citations of law but the law will have to be examined by you and by your Corporate Counsel to establish the truth of what I say here tonight.

Gun carry is a benefit to our communities. This is well established by scholars, usually in the works of individual scholars that stand behind their peer reviewed work. The opposition employs anonymous legions of lobbyists, legislators and lawyers that hide behind attractively homely names and volumes of statistics.

I stand before you arguing for legally carried guns, having evaluated the arguments pro and con and deciding that gun carry is a benefit to our community. I personally have carried a gun in public for nearly a decade without incident.

Gun carry in Wisconsin is legal and proper. Unfortunately jurisdictions at all levels have threatened to and actually harassed legally armed citizens with charges of Disorderly Conduct. It is this extra-legal harassment that the petitioned resolution addresses.

Wisconsin prohibits concealing guns, carrying guns on premises licensed for alcohol consumption, schools and in publicly owned buildings ONLY! Guns are allowed by law in homes, businesses, on the street, ................

And now I have to go about my life - but these arguments that might be extended and expanded by y'all must needs be literate, rational and grammatic since they should be presented to the Boards written as well as spoken. You don't have to follow any thing that I have written, neither must I adopt your suggestions. But we must all have some version of this script ready.

WIG19

imported post

Although I was making progress, one of my farmed out petitions was accidentally cleared off the service desk where it had lain. (Simple mistake, too bad, and yes I'd thought "I should collect some of these continuation sheets.)

Nonetheless, the effort continues though some personalpriorities have had me retasked this year a bit. (Still awaiting local Sheriff response but he did respond to my followup and is working with the local DA to insure they're on same page.) One thing I've found helpful is a simple PowerPoint I created whichoccasionally helps the uninitiated when they firstencounter the petition and "why...?" starts to cross their lips.

It's actually only 22K so I'll see if it'll upload. Everyone else might have their own method, but it's been a conversation starter a few times. A couple of opportunities for many sigs will occur next month when my own Rod & Gun hosts their Field Days and also events supporting the National Youth Hunting/Fishing observation.

"endeavor to persevere"

ETA: Current version uploaded following Doug Huffman's editorial coup. ;)

WIG19

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Are you saying that your Board will entertain a .ppt presentation?

Nope; haven't broached that yet but worth considering. Still gathering sigs - I use the .ppt as a lead-in when the petition & continuation sheets are at a table or counter just available for signing in case I"m not there, or the compadre they're farmed out to isn't either. We have garnered signatures (not alot yet IMO but notable) simply with the petition lying there. Those not adamantly opposed are pretty easily sold (a notable percentage are women also). The .ppt just helps those who might not realize that such things are completely legal.

Am still gauging the Board as, although we're pretty conservative country over here, Boards are often made up of those for whom the 2A simply means they get to take their 742 out deer hunting because it's not been declared an assault rifle... yet.

:cool: We'll get there.

WIG19

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Slide #2; why is concealed in double quotes?
Dang! Good catch; thanks, I thought I'd gotten rid of that pre-printjob version. The quotes surrounding that word were omitted (also around the word 'openly') and underlining substituted simply to call attention to the difference for the uninitiated. Let's see if I can remove the old ver and substitute the correct one...

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

My Town Board limits public comments to three minutes, while a dialogue may go on at the pleasure of the members and Chairman. I expect the County Board to conduct itself similarly. I have attended one County Board meeting when they recently met here on the Island. We few townfolk that attended sniggered over their potential ulterior and financial motives.

As to quotation marks single and double - style in general. Many academic disciplines publish or adopt a manual of style. We are not academics but seek to be read as reasonable and literate. So I refer here to my 'Harbrace College Handbook' Eleventh edition of 1990 (I took English and Composition again after 25 years).

"Use quotation marks for direct quotations (other than those in indented blocks), for some titles, and for words used in a special sense."

"Use double quotation marks for direct quotations but none for indirect quotations. Use single quotation marks to enclose a quotation ... within a quotation."

"Use quotation marks for minor titles ... and subdivisions of books."

"Used sparingly, quotation marks may enclose words intended in a special or an ironic sense."

"Do not overuse quotation marks. Do not use quotation marks to enclose a cliche."

WIG19

imported post

Good stuff Doug. Many trips around the sun since my first college class on that, where they called it Expository Writing. :)

I will capture your words into a little notepad as, working for .GOV and always resistant to the contagion of being dumbed down, I be da resident grammar nazi.

Thanks - less the one that was lost, I'm gonna grab what I've got left for continuation sheets on the petition today and get them scanned & emailed in.

Be safe! :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Thanks for your interest.

I am sorry that we don't have others interested enough to help with the practicalities of introducing our petitions.

Is there anyone else active in Door County that will stand before the Board?

Do Wisconsonites think that weight of signatures is sufficient argument to induce their Boards to adopt the resolution?

WIG19

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Thanks for your interest.
Do Wisconsonites think that weight of signatures is sufficient argument to induce their Boards to adopt the resolution?
I hope not; it will matter little if someone - and they need not possess Daniel Webster-like skills - isn't willing to be present at time of petition consideration. When Gene gets them all mailed in, it would be a very short list of possible events that would keep me from being present. (And my loving CFO works for the county and keeps me apprised of everything, working mere yards from the County Clerk.)

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

WIG19 wrote:
When Gene gets them all mailed in, ...
German's messages are too mixed for me to trust him to properly advance my cause.

For instance, I will be speaking with one of our business owners for whom I wrote a letter appealing for federally funded dredging - against my principles. After the fact I find that an unprincipled busy-body may have had a hand in cozening Finegold and making me the fool tool of Democrats. Who can we trust? NONE, NO ONE!

WIG19

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
WIG19 wrote:
When Gene gets them all mailed in, ...
German's messages are too mixed for me to trust him to properly advance my cause.

I'm going to be articulating locally with my County Board when it comes up. (Actually I'd always assumed that; that Gene wants to blanket send them to all the counties is something newer.)

Did you have a separate multi-county effort you're working or just a unilateral effort in your county?