• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy very confused

Slickity

imported post

I having alot of trouble understanding open carrying. I personally live in flordia but visit often to WA to see my family. I have a flordia concealed license which I know doesn't apply. I just have a few concerns manily this-

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Also does the state have anything saying I have to register my weapon?

Thanks for any info, just having a hard time understanding the RCW's.

Kyle

heresolong

imported post

No registration required in Washington state.

The key words in the law that you cited are "in a manner that warrants alarm". In State vs Casad the court ruled that the mere fact of openly carrying a firearm clearly did not warrant alarm in the average person. I believe there have also been cases where the court ruled that if the state had wanted to ban open carry they could simply have written the law to do so. The fact that they used the words "warrant alarm" indicates that they did not intend to ban all open carry.

I would reccomend the pamphlet that a member put together which many of us carry all the time but because we can't get stickies on this site I can't find the original link. Maybe someone can help out here.

Slickity

imported post

Thanks for the info. I'd like to get a phamlet how would I go about doing so?

Slickity

imported post

One more question, I know the firearm has to be unloaded in a vehicle. But does that apply to boats? Because are boats vehicles or vessels or both?

compmanio365

imported post

Slickity wrote:
One more question, I know the firearm has to be unloaded in a vehicle. But does that apply to boats? Because are boats vehicles or vessels or both?

Firearms have to be unloaded in a vehicle.....UNLESS you have a CPL......hence why most here have our CPL.....yes, it sucks that you have to get it, but it really makes it easier so you don't have to unload/load everytime you get in/out of a vehicle. Also means that if you somehow end up concealing, you can't get in trouble for it.

In terms of a boat, not sure......sv_libertarian might have a better answer, since he is kinda a boat guy..... ;)

Slickity

imported post

I have my CPL for flordia, but I wont be in the state long enough to get the CPL for WA. Im still going to apply for it regardless. You guys ever have any meetings or anything like it?

Bill Starks

State Researcher

Slickity

imported post

Dang wish I was in town then. I wont be in town until the middle of August

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Slickity wrote:
Scheduled meets usually fall on the third sunday of the month.

If you were to head to the Sherrif's Office in Silverdale (Kitsap County), you can get your CPL the same day as others have done with a CPL from their home state.
Some folks have been processed by the time they washed off the ink used to get their prints.

Slickity

imported post

Even if Im not a resident? Dang flordia took 3 months to give me mine.

bobestes

imported post

Another thing to consider with boats is that a large boat could be considered a "home". I know this is a complication instead of an answer, but it is something to consider.

joeroket

imported post

bobestes wrote:
Another thing to consider with boats is that a large boat could be considered a "home". I know this is a complication instead of an answer, but it is something to consider.
And if the IRS rules are followed for exemptions of a second home then it does not take much for it to be legally declared a home. Hmmmm interesting thoughts in this thread.

Slickity

imported post

I'm mainly worried about the rules on the water. I know for a fact that a boat is a vessle, so maybe it doesn't apply but I still want to know for sure. It seems like me and my brother are magnets for the cops and the coast guard.

RiverTMasco

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Slickity wrote:

If you were to head to the Sherrif's Office in Silverdale (Kitsap County), you can get your CPL the same day as others have done with a CPL from their home state.
Some folks have been processed by the time they washed off the ink used to get their prints.

Wow that must be nice.

I went to the sherrifs office in port orchard and it took about a week or so.

Bear 45/70

imported post

RiverTMasco wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Slickity wrote:

Wow that must be nice.

Whywould you go to Port Orchard when you live in Silverdale?

RiverTMasco

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
RiverTMasco wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Slickity wrote:

Wow that must be nice.

Whywould you go to Port Orchard when you live in Silverdale?

lol good question.

I was already in the area taking care of some other stuff so I just stopped in because I thought I could get it done that day.