• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My eye opening open carry experiences in Virginia and West Virginia

minus

imported post

First of all I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in the Virginias except the unexpected trip to Roanoke but more on that later. I entered VA on 81 stopped at a flying J just over the state line. I walked in paid for fuel and purchased a few items. No stares no looks nothing. This would tend to be the theme for the rest of my time spent there.

I HAD 0 law enforcement interaction!
Locations I covered:
Narrows Va ( Burger King/Gas station)

Rich Creek VA (Queens Pizza)

Bluefield VA / WVA (Bluefield flea market)

Pearisburg VA (Pearisburg Wal-Mart)

Highway Rest areas in VA.

Princeton WV (Wal-Mart, The Shoe Dept, Kroger , Grants super market , Virginia
Hardware, Lowes, Starbucks , Princeton mart, Is half enuf? and a few other places in town I can't remember basically everywhere I went where it was lawfull.

Elgood/Athens ( Everywhere I went and on my atv , also the pipestem fleamarket.

Pence Springs (Flea market).

Now the Roanoke area incident...

Going down I 81 near Buchannon the front seal decided to go on the trucks transmission leaving us stranded we coasted off the highway and waited for AAA and the Taxi to take us to Roanoke. The woman at the exxon station was more than helpful and I had no comments / looks from any of her patrons in the hour plus I waited there.

Once we got to Roanoke and arrived at fleet transmission mark and the staff treated us like family. They got the job done super quick and even helped find us lodging and drove us to the airport to get the rental!

While staying in Roanoke I covered:
Sheetz station on by the Civic center (multiple times).
The Little chef (excellent food better prices)
Rodeway INN
The wendys on Williamson rd ( across the street from roanoke pd :what:).

All in all it was an eye opener to exaclty how free we as americans can be. It is a shame that I cannot exercise this right, in my home state without fear of my license being revoked on a whim by the state. If any of you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Sheriff

imported post

minus wrote:
Pennsylvania can be found here.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/26696-minus-pa-open-carry-log.html

Mike please let me know if there is an issue with cross posting.

I'm not Mike, but I don't see a problem with cross posting if my vote counts. Virginia people read the Virginia section. And Pennsylvania people read the Pennsylvania section. I think it's helpful that both state sections read your post.

Two weeks ago it might have been a problem. Somebody would probably have locked and closed one of your threads as a "duplicate". Maybe that's why Mike and John took moderation back upon themselves?

I'm glad to see Virginia treated you so well. I might not have seen it if you posted it in the Pennsylvania section only. :)