• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms sign

esstac

imported post

I live on Camano Island, our little Sheriff sub station is pretty small and via signs on the door is not exactly an office yet they handle walk ins quite frequently.

Once or twice a month they have 2 guys from the main station on Whidbey island come out to handle CPL's, not to bad considering the several counties we would normally have to drive to get to the main station on another island to file for a CPL.

I went down the day they were doing the CPL's to file for a replacement copy, kind of a run around as my original was obtained from Snohomish county and they refused to give me a copy as I now live in Island county and Island county tried to get me to file for a complete new one but I ended up talking them into a replacement for the 10$ fee. They told me I can pick it up at the station when it is ready, been about 3 weeks now and while I was there the several people filing for a permit were told 30 days to pick it up as they do not mail them.

But while I was there they have a big white/red sign on the door stating no firearms. My question is this legal? From what I have read it looks like it is not but I am not sure and would like some clarification. As far as I know there is no jail there, its a pretty small building. It is however secured, you must knock on the door for a Sheriff to open it and such.

Thanks

G27

imported post

I would not pay too much attention to the sign. Only secure areas are prohibited. Areas of egress, or common public areas, are completely fine.

joeroket

imported post

esstac wrote:
I live on Camano Island, our little Sheriff sub station is pretty small and via signs on the door is not exactly an office yet they handle walk ins quite frequently.

Once or twice a month they have 2 guys from the main station on Whidbey island come out to handle CPL's, not to bad considering the several counties we would normally have to drive to get to the main station on another island to file for a CPL.

I went down the day they were doing the CPL's to file for a replacement copy, kind of a run around as my original was obtained from Snohomish county and they refused to give me a copy as I now live in Island county and Island county tried to get me to file for a complete new one but I ended up talking them into a replacement for the 10$ fee. They told me I can pick it up at the station when it is ready, been about 3 weeks now and while I was there the several people filing for a permit were told 30 days to pick it up as they do not mail them.

But while I was there they have a big white/red sign on the door stating no firearms. My question is this legal? From what I have read it looks like it is not but I am not sure and would like some clarification. As far as I know there is no jail there, its a pretty small building. It is however secured, you must knock on the door for a Sheriff to open it and such.

Thanks
If it is secured then it would not be outside the guidelines of the RCW's for them to exclude firearms. But then again if anyone can go up and knock on the doors and be let in then it would be assumed it is an area that is open to the general public, and that is the place they may not restrict firearms.

esstac

imported post

Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking. They have another sign stating its not really a public office :? but then they do deal with the public there. Ill have to snap a pic of it when I return to pick up my copy.

amlevin

imported post

esstac wrote:
As far as I know there is no jail there, its a pretty small building. It is however secured, you must knock on the door for a Sheriff to open it and such.

Thanks

I am familiar with the building and it is small. Since it is a sub-station it may not be all that uncommon for deputies to bring prisoners in and secure them temporarily (usually a handcuff to an eyebolt in the floor or wall) while awaiting transport to a more secure facility. That alone could be reason for their prohibition. Prevents someone from coming in and hiding a weapon for later use (like the toilet tank trick in the "Godfather").

I doubt that the sign would stop that but it most likely is "legal".

esstac

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Do they cite an RCW for their putting the sign up? If not it is probably BS.
The are not required by the statute to post it with the appropriate RCW Bear.

Snippet from the code;

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas

heresolong

imported post

Yeah, but don't forget about this part.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

So you have the right to walk in, stand in line, ask the fellow behind the desk to check your weapon, fill out your paperwork, retrieve your weapon, and leave. All while standing in front of the exact same desk. :)