• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

16 yr old shot in the leg

Chkultr

imported post

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY.com) -- A 16 year-old is shot in the leg, nowhe's behind bars charged with a crime. Newport News Police say that's because the boy was trying to rob a man at gunpoint in the one-thousand block of 25th street. What the teen didn't know was the robbery victim had a gun of his own.
Newport News Officer Harold Eley tells WAVY.com the robbery victim was justprotecting himself when he was approached by the teen Tuesday. Eley says the teen walked up to the man while he was in the backyard of a house on 25th street, pointed a gun at the man and tried to rob him.
That's when the victim pulled a gun and shot the teen in the leg. Eley says the teen ran and police caught up with him a block away. They took him to the hospital where he was treated and released back into police custody.
Through their investigation of Tuesday'srobbery, police say they were also able to connect the 16 year-old to a robbery and car jacking that happened in the 600 block of Aqua Vista Drive on Sunday.
"It's very serious. Anytime you have anyone with a handgun robbing people, especially a juvenile, we want to take care of that situation right away and get that person off the street, and in this case we've been able to take him off the street. It's a very serious thing," says Eley.
Eley says the teen is in Juvenile detention facing two felony charges of armed robbery and use of a firearm.

ODA 226

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
"It's very serious. Anytime you have anyone with a handgun robbing people, especially a juvenile, we want to take care of that situation right away and get that person off the street, and in this case we've been able to take him off the street. It's a very serious thing," says Eley.
It looks like the robbery victim was the one who took this POS off the street NOT the police.

Sheriff

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
It looks like the robbery victim was the one who took this POS off the street NOT the police.
My first thoughts as well. But hey, let 'em take all the credit! :lol:

Glock27Bill

imported post

Anytime you have anyone with a handgun robbing people, especially a juvenile, we want to take care of that situation right away and get that person off the street, and in this case we've been able to take him off the street.
But he'll be back out soon, and because he's a juvenile, with a clean/sealed record.

Stay tuned for further updates, likely his death or someone else's.

Sheriff

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
But he'll be back out soon, and because he's a juvenile, with a clean/sealed record.

Correct you are. We just had a 16-year-old juvenile sentenced to a lockup until he's 21 years old by a Juvenile Court judgefor shooting at cars on I-64 . The appeals judge reduced the sentence to 6 months of rehabilitation. He'll be back out on the street before he's 17.

ScottyT

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Correct you are. We just had a 16-year-old juvenile sentenced to a lockup until he's 21 years old by a Juvenile Court judgefor shooting at cars on I-64 . The appeals judge reduced the sentence to 6 months of rehabilitation. He'll be back out on the street before he's 17.

Sounds like 6 months for multiple counts of attempted murder? Sounds fair to me... :banghead:

hsmith

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

Sounds like 6 months for multiple counts of attempted murder? Sounds fair to me... :banghead:
We will hear the BB and MMM complain we didn't have a law to prevent this, that this is reason we need to close the gun show loop hole.

When the solution is to use the laws and put people in jail.

VApatriot

imported post

This is the third defensive shooting injust Virginia that I have heard of in about the last week or so. Why do y'all think that is. Is it because crime is up? Is a higher percent of Virginians buying andcarrying guns? Is the media simply being less bias and reporting the stories of citizensusing guns against criminals?

Glock27Bill

imported post

Well, if therehave been roughly 1.5 million self-defense uses of firearms annually, I'd have to vote for more media coverage, not more crime.

If these are evenly distributed amongst the 50 states (57 if you're running for President), we should be hearing of 30,000 such stories in Virginia annually, or 82 per day.

So even with the perceived increase in reporting, the media's still way behind the curve.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Ever think that the idiot judges and parole boards who do this kind of nonsense should be held legally and criminally libel for the released criminal's actions?

Let's say the 16 year old you spoke of does get out before he turns 17 and decides to switch from shooting at cars on the highway to carjacking people in shopping center lots. He does a few of these and gets a little more bold with each attack until he winds up seriously injuring, or killing, someone. Why not hold the judge accountable for this kid's actions? I'm not saying to hold judges accountable for people who serve their full term and then get out and turn back to crime. But a judge who deliberately passes lenient sentences when he could have been more harsh should pay a price for the damage done to others because he did not serve the people as he should.

Same goes for parole boards that let out people early who turn around and do the same things again.

Sheriff

imported post

The judge who issued this 6 month rehabilitation sentence is a very capable and competent person. I suppose she heard testimony in which she was led to believe the 16-year-old can be reformed. Only time will tell.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I'm not saying to hold judges accountable for people who serve their full term and then get out and turn back to crime. But a judge who deliberately passes lenient sentences when he could have been more harsh should pay a price for the damage done to others because he did not serve the people as he should.

Same goes for parole boards that let out people early who turn around and do the same things again.
We have too many crimes with too stiff penalties in this country for that.

Think about it this way, if your rifle malfunctions and you're being railroaded by jack-booted thugs, do you want all judgment and reason removed from the sentencing process?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder how many are aware that the homeowner/victim faces the possibility of felony aggravated wounding and/or attempted murder charges?

The Commomwealth Attorney would have to be a jackass to bring those to a Grand Jury, but then how many Commonwealth's Attorneys have we seen that are jackasses? And how many Grand Juries that were swayed by a CA with an agenda?

The reality is that use of lethal force in response to a crime where lethal force is presented by the perpetrator is still only an affirmativedefense. Castle Doctrine is in common and case law, but not codified. That means the judge gets to decide if it applies in this case. The suggestion that the homeowner/victim intentionally shot the perp in the leg would negate an affirmative defense.

Further, there is no codified defense against civil suit by the perpetrator/his family, and no defense in common or case law.

Yes, we have a version of "Stand Your Ground", but we need Castle Doctrine and Civil Liability Immunity codified. These ought to be on your legislative agenda for 2009.

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
SNIP The suggestion that the homeowner/victim intentionally shot the perp in the leg would negate an affirmative defense.
Are we talking legal rules of evidence,rebuttable presumption, or courtroomwrangling to get the jury's credulity.

mobeewan

imported post

skidmark wrote:
I wonder how many are aware that the homeowner/victim faces the possibility of felony aggravated wounding and/or attempted murder charges? ....snip

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY.com) -- A 16 year-old is shot in the leg, nowhe's behind bars charged with a crime. Newport News Police say that's because the boy was trying to rob a man at gunpoint in the one-thousand block of 25th street. What the teen didn't know was the robbery victim had a gun of his own.
"

How does the homeowner/victim face the possibility of felony aggravated wounding and/or attempted murder charges when being held at gunpoint?

Icould understand if the badguy walked up and said give me your money and had no weapon,made no claims of having one and did not assault the victim.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the antis would be happy about this. Aren't they the ones always asking why we don't just shoot the BGs in the leg or shoot the guns out of their hands?

Once again I think the key here is the restraint showed by the homeowner. He did not chase down the BG, he did not shoot him multiple times, he just ended the threat and contacted the police to hunt down the BG.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY.com) -- A 16 year-old is shot in the leg, nowhe's behind bars charged with a crime. Newport News Police say that's because the boy was trying to rob a man at gunpoint in the one-thousand block of 25th street. What the teen didn't know was the robbery victim had a gun of his own.

When the brady nuts talk about all the "kids" being shot as a reason for gun control, think about this "kid".