• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Otsego County Road Comm: Illegal Sign: No Firearms Allowed.

UpNorth

imported post

A while back I had a meeting with the head of the road commission. As I entered the main building a sign stating " No Firearms past this point". I didn't have time to argue, so in I went to leave it for another day. Fast foreward to Yesterday. I called and spoke to the Manager on the phone. I asked him to please sight the law/ordinance/etc., that they were using as authority to post such a sign. His response was that it was an employee issue(they use the back door by the way). He went on to say that employees could park their vehicles in the garage area in the winter to thaw, and that from time to time they need to move them during the day. A few times they discovered weapons in them...He then said," we posted it at the front to try to keep people (the general public) from coming inside with weapons. "Kind of a bluff", he said. Well, I then went on with my information Venator and others have stated, etc...... I requested to know who was the Attorney that represents the road comm. He then states, "are you challenging it?" I said well, it depends on what YOU do about it. He says"well, I guess I should take it down". I said great. He then backs up a little and states" maybe I should call our attorney". Go ahead, and let me know what he says. Today, got the call that the sign has been removed and destroyed. HAHAHAHAHA. Guess I need to go and check, but put a win in for OUR side. Guess bluffs are just that sometimes, eh?

warlockmatized

imported post

When you have the chance PLEASE go check to see if IS in fact gone. I am thinking of doing the same thing here with regards to a sign i saw TODAY at a public park. pic included...

parksign2hj0.jpg

private

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

does it really matter if they put up a sign that gives inaccurate information, unless they are illegally enforcing the inaccurate information?

how are you hurt by that?

warlockmatized

imported post

I am planning an OC picnic at this VERY park, and PERSONALLY feel it would make life easier IF the sign was edited OR gone all together. Which is why i even visited the park/noticed the sign today. Makes sense to ME......

UpNorth

imported post

ilbob wrote:
does it really matter if they put up a sign that gives inaccurate information, unless they are illegally enforcing the inaccurate information?

how are you hurt by that?

The sign IMPLIES that there is a law of some type and there was not. It is a long road to battle with entities like this one. One at a time. Just on it's face, it is illegal that they post a sign which gives the impression they have some statute or other auhtority that they want people to think and be intimidated by.

Nuff' said.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
I am planning an OC picnic at this VERY park, and PERSONALLY feel it would make life easier IF the sign was edited OR gone all together. Which is why i even visited the park/noticed the sign today. Makes sense to ME......

Mail a copy of the Michigan Preemption Laws to the chief with a brief explanation of why you're sending it. :)

Shelby Twp PD
52700 Van Dyke Ave Ste 1
Shelby Twp, MI 48316
Phone: (586) 731-0896

Link: ShelbyPD