• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Father of 12 fatally shot by Akron Police officers...

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

PT111 wrote:
bobernet wrote:
Moments after just defending their life or that of their family is not a perfect time to expect someone to be totally tuned in to what you're saying and "jump" at your every command.

Turning to talk to a police offer when you are the good guy and have just been attacked/threatened is a pretty normal behavior. Getting shot 22 times and murdered for it, is not normal behavior.
Then he shouldn't be carrying a gun. If you can't control yourself any more than that then you don't need to be running around shooting at people. How were the police to know he was the good guy? As far as they knew they were being attacked also just like he was but I take it that you consider LEO to be bad guys. They had reports of shots being fired and as far as they knew he was the one doing the firing and fully expected him to continue firing. I have read on this board many times about the danger of waiting to shoot and how quick someone can close the distance between themselves and you.
quit making lame excuses.

the guy was murdered.

its the LEOs job to take risk, they can't murder innocent people because they are scared.

they should never work again, and in actually should all be in jail for life

Pauly

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
all those officers deserve to be in jail for the rest of their lives (the OP case)

Nope. If I'm a cop and you point a gun at me you're getting shot to death. That simple.

SWhetsel

imported post

I agree with Pauly, what makes one person’s life any less important than another? Cops have just as much of a right to defend themselves as anyone.

I’m an MP in the Army and there were times when I was overseas that yeah, the shoots where iffy, but are you saying I should have hoped a man with an AK standing on top of a building we just took fire from is innocent? Because there’s no way in hell I would wait around to find out. I guess I see where the officers are coming from, it’s called reasonable belief. Part of the Army's ROE and I'm sure most police dept.'s have similar policies.

HOWEVER, I do feel bad for the innocent man's family. It's sad and a shame that the "good guy" got killed, but on the same note, his own stupidity did get him killed. When an officer has his gun drawn and pointed at you telling you to get down, it's not the best time to ignore their commands.

Just my opinion.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just have a hard time believing that he drew on a group of cops that already had their guns on him.

How many here would not instinctively turn around to at least see who's yelling at you. The cops were jumpy because they saw a man with a gun. Perhaps the cops who had the advantage here should be using logic, what kind of bad guy is going to stuff his gun back in his pants OPENLY and be hanging around waiting for the cops?

It's not just soccer moms who we've got to condition to not panic at the sight of a gun, it is police officers too. I know not all are like this, but there sure are a lot of them who feel compelled to disarm a citizen during any confrontation. To me, this looks just like the unfounded fear we see from antis, just expressed differently.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
I just have a hard time believing that he drew on a group of cops that already had their guns on him.

How many here would not instinctively turn around to at least see who's yelling at you. The cops were jumpy because they saw a man with a gun.

Exactly my point. The fact that there were, apparently, a number of neighborhood witnesses, and the only ones claiming he pulled a gun were the two LEO's who shot him 22 times is rather suspicious.

That some here would try to justify his murder by the mere fact that he did not throw himself to the ground fast enough to satisfy them is even more appalling.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
I agree with Pauly, what makes one person’s life any less important than another? Cops have just as much of a right to defend themselves as anyone.

I’m an MP in the Army and there were times when I was overseas that yeah, the shoots where iffy, but are you saying I should have hoped a man with an AK standing on top of a building we just took fire from is innocent? Because there’s no way in hell I would wait around to find out. I guess I see where the officers are coming from, it’s called reasonable belief. Part of the Army's ROE and I'm sure most police dept.'s have similar policies.

HOWEVER, I do feel bad for the innocent man's family. It's sad and a shame that the "good guy" got killed, but on the same note, his own stupidity did get him killed. When an officer has his gun drawn and pointed at you telling you to get down, it's not the best time to ignore their commands.

Just my opinion.
our country isn't a ******* war zone. there is a huge difference. its beyond absurd to compare the two.

SWhetsel

imported post

Youre right its not a war zone, so cops shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves.

I don't know the whole story and no one does. Trigger happy or not, I stand with the police on this one. The guy was at someone elses house with a gun, right after a report of shots fired. They roll up and "hey look a dude with a gun at the scene of a shooting, lets ask him if hes the good guy." No thanks, either listen to commands and drop to the ground, or get dropped.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
Trigger happy or not, I stand with the police on this one.
Good to know where you stand. Murder is OK as long as a cop does it?

The guy was at someone elses house with a gun, right after a report of shots fired.
Um, no. He was at his own house, defending his own family from a criminal who was firing into the home where his wife and children were cowered in fear.

PT111

imported post

bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

The guy was at someone elses house with a gun, right after a report of shots fired.
Um, no. He was at his own house, defending his own family from a criminal who was firing into the home where his wife and children were cowered in fear.
I belive the reports say that he was not at his house but was walking down the street looking for who fired the shots. He was not on his property and the person who had been firing into the house was long gone.

Gunslinger

imported post

bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

The police should be charged with voluntary manslaughter. Let a jury decide. Then they, the department and the City should be sued for wrongful death. Let another jury decide. To me, these cops are as low as any other murdering scum in the city of Akron. That they were incompetent idiots is not an excuse that will hold up in a jury trial.

Gunslinger

imported post

PT111 wrote:
bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

I belive the reports say that he was not at his house but was walking down the street looking for who fired the shots. He was not on his property and the person who had been firing into the house was long gone.
"When officers arrived, they saw Stephens outside the house with a handgun in his waistband."

PT111

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
PT111 wrote:
bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

"When officers arrived, they saw Stephens outside the house with a handgun in his waistband."

http://www.ohio.com/news/24582144.html?page=2&c=y
Details of shooting

Matulavich said in his news conference that the two officers fired at Stephens from a range of 5 to 8 feet after he refused repeated orders to get to the ground, then reached for a handgun in his waistband while Sidoti was ''directly in front.''

''Officer Sidoti clearly observed the handle of a handgun sticking out of Stephens Sr.'s waistband,'' Matulavich said.

Stephens and his son, Jeffery Stephens Jr., 20, were walking on Celina looking for a man who had allegedly fired shots into the Stephens home at 1000 Celina, Matulavich said.

A 911 call of shots fired into the home came in at 4:39 a.m., Matulavich said.

Because of the nature of that call, Matulavich said, Sidoti and Miles had their guns drawn when they left their patrol car and confronted Stephens and his son as they walked south toward West Thornton Street.

The son obeyed their orders to hit the ground and was not shot, Matulavich said.

Stephens Sr., after reaching for his gun with Sidoti facing him, turned and pointed his gun at Miles, Matulavich said.

sjalterego

imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
I heard onthe radio that today there was a conference where the police chief explained that the gun was in the mans waist band, when they told him to do what ever he turned away from them and reached towards his waist. So knowing that there where gun shots and not knowing who fired them. When they arrived and asked hm to put his hands up or what ever, and he instead turned and reached towards his waist band where the gun was. Thats what I heard was the reason.
Of course we have no independent way to corroborate that. That may in fact be what happened but I always take such plice statements with a grain of salt. The police can often make after the fact statements that "justify" their use of force and since they are the only survivor witnesses what they say has to be believed. We all know how much a cell phone looks like a gun.

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
PT111 wrote:
bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

Details of shooting

Matulavich said in his news conference that the two officers fired at Stephens from a range of 5 to 8 feet after he refused repeated orders to get to the ground, then reached for a handgun in his waistband while Sidoti was ''directly in front.''

''Officer Sidoti clearly observed the handle of a handgun sticking out of Stephens Sr.'s waistband,'' Matulavich said.

Stephens and his son, Jeffery Stephens Jr., 20, were walking on Celina looking for a man who had allegedly fired shots into the Stephens home at 1000 Celina, Matulavich said.

Because of the nature of that call, Matulavich said, Sidoti and Miles had their guns drawn when they left their patrol car and confronted Stephens and his son as they walked south toward West Thornton Street.

The son obeyed their orders to hit the ground and was not shot, Matulavich said.

Stephens Sr., after reaching for his gun with Sidoti facing him, turned and pointed his gun at Miles, Matulavich said.

Gunslinger...Take off your hate colored glasses for a moment and look at what we know.

Does the term"Innocent until proven guilty" mean anything to you?

There are a lot of things we don't know...formost among then is that the police "murdered" anyone.

The more I read, the more it sounds like the 20 year old son, got all the brains in the family.

Tarzan

SWhetsel

imported post

Yes I understand that anything looks like a gun when you have your adrenalin pumping. I've been in situations like that and I know that when it comes down to it, judged by 12 is better than carried by 6.

MAYBE, they did "murder" this man by over reacting and firing when they saw him motion towards the pistol in his waist band.

But in the CCW law if you even MOTION towards your weapon it’s a felony, so why would this be different? He motioned towards a weapon that the officer clearly saw, and the man had on him. They told him to get down and he didn't even though his unarmed son did. IF he MOTIONED towards his weapon, even if he didn't draw it, then why aren't they within the law to fire? They have to wait to be fired upon?

That’s why with the info that has been written in papers, and said in statements, I side in saying that if a man pulls a gun on a officer, then the officer is within his means to shoot him. I lived in Akron for many years and now live in a surrounding suburb. I know the area and it's AGAIN a shame the man was killed in TRYING to defend his home. But he wasn't on his property, was brandishing a weapon (it was NOT in a holster, a waistband doesn’t count as a holder made for the purpose), and I don't have the exact quote, but did he not MOTION for his weapon, if not draw it?

Gunslinger

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
PT111 wrote:
bobernet wrote:
SWhetsel wrote:

Details of shooting

Gunslinger...Take off your hate colored glasses for a moment and look at what we know.

Does the term"Innocent until proven guilty" mean anything to you?

There are a lot of things we don't know...formost among then is that the police "murdered" anyone.

The more I read, the more it sounds like the 20 year old son, got all the brains in the family.

Tarzan

I hate injustice. I hate those who would take away the rights brave men fought and died for. I hate bigotry, and I hate the arrogance that comes from unbridled power. No glasses needed. 22 shots into a man who did not pull a gun is probably not murder, but voluntary manslaughter. The cops who killed those scumbags in New York walked. I'll bet these do also. That, my friend, is something else I hate. Replace "murderers" with "executioners."

And you ask "Does the term"Innocent until proven guilty" mean anything to you?" You're kidding, right? What was the executed man 'guilty' of?

SWhetsel

imported post

22 9mm shots, from two officers, that fired until they eliminated the threat. The man stood through the 22 bullets. You don’t stop shooting until you eliminate the threat. (Notice I said threat, not until the man is dead. However, sometimes these things coincide) Even if he was a dead man standing after only three shots, he was still standing there, keep firing.

And by the way, he was walking down the street LOOKING for the people that fired upon his house. Is that not illegal?

Gunslinger

imported post

No. His intent was not established--nor can it be with him in the ground, and the last I heard "walking down the street" was still legal.