• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Father of 12 fatally shot by Akron Police officers...

Pauly

imported post

Does anybody have any more information on this? The articles aren't much help.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/07/akron_chief_defends_officers_w.html

Akron chief defends officers who fatally shot homeowner Posted by Jesse Tinsley July 09, 2008 16:19PM Categories: Breaking News, Crime Akron's police chief defended two officers today who killed a homeowner while responding to a call of a shooting at the man's house last weekend.
Chief Michael Mutalavich said his officers were "100 percent justified in using deadly force" against Jeffrey Stephens. The Akron father of 12 was shot 22 times.
Several people called police about 4 a.m. Saturday to report shots fired into a house on Celina Street while a party was going on at the residence. When officers arrived, they saw Stephens outside the house with a handgun in his waistband, Mutalavich said.
Stephens ignored several warnings to get on the ground and was shot when he turned towards the officers, Mutalavich said.
Stephens, 42, fell to the ground and was handcuffed by officers.
On Tuesday, police charged Reginald Valentine, 27, of Akron, with aggravated menacing and several weapons charges accusing him of shooting at the house. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was held in Summit County Jail on $10,000 bond.
The officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

Gunslinger

imported post

Pauly wrote:

Akron chief defends officers who fatally shot homeowner Posted by Jesse Tinsley July 09, 2008 16:19PM Categories: Breaking News, Crime Akron's police chief defended two officers today who killed a homeowner while responding to a call of a shooting at the man's house last weekend.
Chief Michael Mutalavich said his officers were "100 percent justified in using deadly force" against Jeffrey Stephens. The Akron father of 12 was shot 22 times.
Several people called police about 4 a.m. Saturday to report shots fired into a house on Celina Street while a party was going on at the residence. When officers arrived, they saw Stephens outside the house with a handgun in his waistband, Mutalavich said.
Stephens ignored several warnings to get on the ground and was shot when he turned towards the officers, Mutalavich said.
On Tuesday, police charged Reginald Valentine, 27, of Akron, with aggravated menacing and several weapons charges accusing him of shooting at the house. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was held in Summit County Jail on $10,000 bond.
The officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.
They were justified in commiting murder? I hope this guy's family has alread talked to a lawyer about suing these pos cops for wrongful death. He had a gun on his own property and was executed by these bastards. Then the stupid scum handcuffed him.--after they shot him 22 times. Typical room temperature IQ'd cops.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
SNIP Typical room temperature IQ'd cops.

That high?

I agree. Nothing in the story would necessitate the use of lethal force. Either the story is omitting critical facts, or the officers murdered a citizen.

Pauly

imported post

That's the reason I wanted more information. I can't find justification for killing this man on his own property. There has got to be more to the story. Please, let there be more to the story.

SWhetsel

imported post

I heard onthe radio that today there was a conference where the police chief explained that the gun was in the mans waist band, when they told him to do what ever he turned away from them and reached towards his waist. So knowing that there where gun shots and not knowing who fired them. When they arrived and asked hm to put his hands up or what ever, and he instead turned and reached towards his waist band where the gun was. Thats what I heard was the reason.

PT111

imported post

This goes to show that when you are surrounded by several LEO with their guns drawn it is not a good time to argue your rights or that you are theGood Guybut best to get on the ground if ordered to. I don't know what happened but it sure appears that the father made a bad decision not to obey the LEO.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
This goes to show that when you are surrounded by several LEO with their guns drawn it is not a good time to argue your rights or that you are theGood Guybut best to get on the ground if ordered to. I don't know what happened but it sure appears that the father made a bad decision not to obey the LEO.

Yeah, because if he *hadn't* just "reached toward his gun," and had in fact been following orders to say "put your gun on the ground" and then he got shot 22 times...

I'm very sure the police department would have been honest and forthcoming in their press release by saying, "Officers today shot a law-abiding father of 12 who had just defended his family against a criminal and was following the orders of police. Unfortunately, our officers were afraid of him and were too quick to react to the sight of a citizen with a gun."

He was a "criminal" until he proved himself to the LEOs, just like LEO229 has told us we must do to avoid an "us vs. them" attitude. I'm sure he had it coming. The police are here to help you.

Deanimator

imported post

Pauly wrote:

In Illinois, Valentine could be charged with felony murder, since his criminal acts were tied in with the homeowner's death. If convicted, he could get the death penalty. And such things have happened in Illinois, with FAR less justification. Back in the '80s, a guy was in (IN, not running, not working in, just IN waiting for his purchase) a drug housethat was raided by Chicago Police. During the course of the raid, police chasing the operator of the drug house ran into police breaking in the back door. One cop shot and killed another cop. The drug dealer cut a deal and the hapless purchaser was charged with, indicted for, convicted of and sentenced to death for felony murder. As I recall, he was one of the prisoners who received commutations from now imprisoned Gov. Ryan.

By all rights, the cops who murdered the old woman in Atlanta should have received the same treatment.

PT111

imported post

bobernet wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Yeah, because if he *hadn't* just "reached toward his gun," and had in fact been following orders to say "put your gun on the ground" and then he got shot 22 times...

I'm very sure the police department would have been honest and forthcoming in their press release by saying, "Officers today shot a law-abiding father of 12 who had just defended his family against a criminal and was following the orders of police. Unfortunately, our officers were afraid of him and were too quick to react to the sight of a citizen with a gun."

He was a "criminal" until he proved himself to the LEOs, just like LEO229 has told us we must do to avoid an "us vs. them" attitude. I'm sure he had it coming. The police are here to help you.

Who said he was reaching for his gun, and who said they told him to put his gun on the ground?

From the OP:
Stephens ignored several warnings to get on the ground and was shot when he turned towards the officers,
If I am standing in front of several police officers/people in general with thier guns drawn and they order me to get on the ground I am going to start digging and if you wouldn't then you are a fool. I don't know if he attempted to draw his gun or not or if the shooting was justified but when an armed gunman tells you to do something that is not the time to argue with or ignore him.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Moments after just defending their life or that of their family is not a perfect time to expect someone to be totally tuned in to what you're saying and "jump" at your every command.

Turning to talk to a police offer when you are the good guy and have just been attacked/threatened is a pretty normal behavior. Getting shot 22 times and murdered for it, is not normal behavior.

PT111

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Moments after just defending their life or that of their family is not a perfect time to expect someone to be totally tuned in to what you're saying and "jump" at your every command.

Turning to talk to a police offer when you are the good guy and have just been attacked/threatened is a pretty normal behavior. Getting shot 22 times and murdered for it, is not normal behavior.
Then he shouldn't be carrying a gun. If you can't control yourself any more than that then you don't need to be running around shooting at people. How were the police to know he was the good guy? As far as they knew they were being attacked also just like he was but I take it that you consider LEO to be bad guys. They had reports of shots being fired and as far as they knew he was the one doing the firing and fully expected him to continue firing. I have read on this board many times about the danger of waiting to shoot and how quick someone can close the distance between themselves and you.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's among the most arrogant tripe I've read here in a long time. A father of 12 who, quite possibly, saved his family's lives is dead. You want to say he had it coming to him because he didn't throw himself on the ground fast enough to please the "authorities."

God have mercy on you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bobernet wrote:
That's among the most arrogant tripe I've read here in a long time. A father of 12 who, quite possibly, saved his family's lives is dead. You want to say he had it coming to him because he didn't throw himself on the ground fast enough to please the "authorities."

God have mercy on you.

Lets keep it civil, please.

We have to self-moderate.

MetalChris

imported post

He wasn't on his property.

Father of 12 killed in Akron shooting

Family, neighbors say landscaper was shot by police near home

By David Giffels
Beacon Journal staff writer

Published on Sunday, Jul 06, 2008

An Akron man was shot and killed early Saturday morning in what police are describing as an ''officer-involved shooting.''

Jeffery Stephens, 42, died shortly before 5 a.m. on the sidewalk near the Celina Avenue home where he grew up and lived with his family.

Akron police released few details Saturday, pending investigation. Police spokesman Capt. Paul Calvaruso said two officers initially responded to a call that a man was firing into a house at 1000 Celina Ave. and that the fatal shooting took place outside, a few doors away. More officers responded later.

He declined to provide the names of the officers who responded.

About 15 of Stephens' family members were gathered on the front porch and in the yard of the white, Colonial-style home Saturday.

Johnson Stephens, the victim's 47-year-old brother, said there had been a Fourth of July party at the home at 1000 Celina Ave. on Friday evening, and the man believed to have fired shots at the house had attended. He did not know the man's name.

He said his brother, a self-employed landscaper who has 12 children, was inside with his family when the shots were fired about 4:30 a.m., and that Jeffery Stephens exited the home with a gun.

''Like any other man would do,'' he said. ''Came out with his gun, to protect his home.''

What happened next is not clear. Family and neighbors said an altercation involving Stephens' adult son occurred a few houses away, and that Stephens went up the sidewalk to intervene. Within minutes, he was dead.

Family and neighbors said Stephens was shot by police.

Police have not specified who shot Stephens. No other injuries were reported.

At midday Saturday, a small brown teddy bear was tied to the chain-link fence with a piece of cellophane above the spot on the sidewalk where Stephens died.

Neighbors kept to their front porches and driveways, some joining the Stephens family to talk quietly, others watching the activity in the quiet working-class neighborhood, where most of the homes were built before 1920.

R.L. Polk, 82, lives across the street from where the shooting occurred. His family and the Stephens family have been residents of Celina Avenue for more than four decades.

''I've never known none of them to get in no trouble in 40-some years,'' he said, his voice choking with emotion. ''It's a good neighborhood. We never had no trouble with the police, and with the people neither. It's hard for the whole street, let alone the family.''

His granddaughter, 31-year-old Erniece Winfield, remembers growing up with the Stephens family a few doors away.

''All this neighborhood's been a pretty nice neighborhood. The sad thing about this whole story is Jeff — he don't bother nobody,'' she said.

Summit County court records show no criminal record for Stephens.

An autopsy was performed late Saturday afternoon. Akron police and the Summit County prosecutor's office are investigating.

As usual we don't know the whole story, but it looks like this "father of 12" (probably from 6 or 7 different women) might not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I'm with the "when you're armed and cops are responding to a shots firedcall, get on the effing ground" crowd. It's not like the cops were responding to a simpleMWAG call, there were actually shots fired! That's a very volatile situation, and one that can get you killed if you're a moron (like homeboy here.)

Deanimator

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
As usual we don't know the whole story, but it looks like this "father of 12" (probably from 6 or 7 different women)
So you know this person PERSONALLY and have intimate knowledge of his family history?

If not, on what do you base this unsubstantiated claim?

MetalChris

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
As usual we don't know the whole story, but it looks like this "father of 12" (probably from 6 or 7 different women)
So you know this person PERSONALLY and have intimate knowledge of his family history?

Nothing, because it's unsubstantiated. ;)

PT111

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
MetalChris wrote:

Nothing, because it's unsubstantiated. ;)

http://www.legacy.com/Ohio/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=112852394

According to his obituary he had been married to this wife for 11 years. He had a son 20 years old so more than one wife is a possibility.

If you read this article you can see that the Akron police need to upgrade their 9mm weapons.

http://www.ohio.com/news/24582144.html

Snip:

A 911 call of shots fired into the home came in at 4:39 a.m., Matulavich said.

Because of the nature of that call, Matulavich said, Sidoti and Miles had their guns drawn when they left their patrol car and confronted Stephens and his son as they walked south toward West Thornton Street.

The son obeyed their orders to hit the ground and was not shot, Matulavich said.

Stephens Sr., after reaching for his gun with Sidoti facing him, turned and pointed his gun at Miles, Matulavich said.

The chief said Sidoti fired first, getting off 12 shots, followed by 10 shots from Miles.

''Officer Sidoti stated that the rounds [that he fired] did not have any visible effect that he could observe,'' Matulavich said.

''Multiple witnesses,'' the chief said, including a woman who observed the confrontation from her bedroom window on Celina, reported hearing Sidoti give those commands.

''He gives several loud commands to Stephens Sr. to get on the ground,'' Matulavich said.

SWhetsel

imported post

Yeah it sucks that this man died doing "nothing wrong", but to tell a police officer that they can't defend themselves is nuts. If I responded to a call of shots fired and when I got the scene a man had a gun in his waist band, I wouldn't just HOPE that he was the good guy. It's time to make him get on the ground and control the situation, as you are taught to do in the academy. Just my 2 cents. Still a shame that the inocent man got killed.

Pauly

imported post

Well, I hate to hear about things like this but you can't point a gun at an officer and not expect to be shot to death. I am siding with Akron on this one. (not that they care) It is a shame what happened but one assumes a great responsibility when walking down the street with a gun. If he had stayed inside his home where he belonged this whole thing may have been a thing of the past and he could've gone on with his life. You don't have the right to go looking for trouble with a gun. Stay inside and protect your home and family.

Decoligny

imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
Yeah it sucks that this man died doing "nothing wrong", but to tell a police officer that they can't defend themselves is nuts. If I responded to a call of shots fired and when I got the scene a man had a gun in his waist band, I wouldn't just HOPE that he was the good guy. It's time to make him get on the ground and control the situation, as you are taught to do in the academy. Just my 2 cents. Still a shame that the inocent man got killed.

Stupidity on all sides is the way I see it. Homeowner obviously knew there were shots fired. He was riht to have his weapon to defend his home and family.

The Police when responding, probably didn't sneak up on the house. The were probably code 3, lights and sirens, adrenaline pumping.

Whether he actually went for his gun, or whether the Police just overreacted, is now between them and God. Because if they did overreact, I highly doubt that any of them will stand up and say "We screwed the pooch on this one Captain, we killed an innocent man!"

Homeowner, unless stone deaf, should have been aware that the Police were arriving.

The proper actions when you know the Police are arriving at the scene it to secure your weapon and comply with all commands.

If you end up in cuffs until the Police sort out who's been shooting at who, it is better than the end result this homeowner achieved.