• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Davi's Range

apcci2

imported post

I lived in Raleigh for a while, but moved a couple of years ago. I was up there yesterday, and saw that the Davi's Gun Range was closed. What happened? All anyone would say was that they had issues? Is anybody familiar with this? It was a shock to see the range gone.

Vinny

imported post

I used to go there frequently, it bums me out because I still had plenty of time left on my range card, refunds for the time left are not being given apparently.

As this place was essentially the only sizable place around you could go to practice without having to join a gun club (granted the Wake County range is still open), I found it a bit funny that they would close just out of the blue like that. I figured there was a bit more to the story than was being let on, so I fired up the net and did a bit of research.

Everything I found is simply hearsay, but apparently among several safety incidents they have had, police officers "misbehaving" on the range was one of them.

http://handgunforum.net/archive/index.php?t-14114.html

Now I can think of other very valid reasons why they would close the range, besides run of mill safety issues. Liability risks, or more likely their insurance provider was going to drastically increase their cost of coverage. All kinds of levers can be pulled to get a gun shop to close their range by powerful people that want a disarmed public; my best guess is that safety issues were probably the least likely reason they closed the range. Who knows, but does anyone want to lay odds that this is a harbinger of things to come? Maybe the day is coming where the only places where people will be able to practice is on their own private property, or very expensive gun clubs.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I will go ahead and disclose that this is the place where the barrel grab incident happened on February 7th, 2008. They must have gone downhill after that crap. I know anybody that knew anything about firearms that saw it knew I was in the right. But the problem is I don't think anybody saw it until he waited 10 seconds and then started yelling. So all they saw was him freaking out and me standing there looking at him and asking "is he joking?"

I can believe they closed that range too, I get the feeling that it wasn't ventilated properly and that the walls between each "booth" were not bullet resistant. Somebody probably got shot or very nearly did. I can't imagine what else would cause them to shut up like that about what occurred. I haven't been there since they pulled that crap on me with grabbing the gun and stuff.

The original story on the incident was written when I was still steamed up about it so it was kind of jumpy and didn't include the proper details in the proper order. Here's the short version:

Basically the gun was pointed about 20 degrees to the left of a really fat guy. A skinny guy went behind him and did something and then popped out from behind the fat guy. The gun I was holding was still pointed 20 degrees to the left of the fat guy. The fat guy grabbed the barrel at the same instant that I saw the skinny guy just start to come out from behind the fat guy. As soon as the fat guy grabbed it, he pulled it hard to my right. He jerked it right into the path of the skinny guy (Who was still about 19 degrees to the right of the barrel when the fat guy grabbed it) before I could move the gun up and to the left. The skinny guy would not have had the barrel pointed at him had I been allowed to react. It would have been much more intelligent for the fat guy to have reacted by stopping the skinny employee from walking in front of me by putting out his hand in front of the skinny guy's path. Instead he grabbed the barrel to make himself feel cool, like he "knew what he was doing" and to make it clear that I was just a novice with no clue.

He did a much more dangerous thing by grabbing the barrel and ripping it towards himself violently. Had my finger been on the trigger, I would have likely unintentionally pulled it due to the motion he caused the gun to make. The problem was also that there were too many people in the store at the time and the employees were in too much of a hurry. In retrospect, they obviously weren't paying attention to what they were doing. People were in front of this counter to my right and left all the way down the 40ft counter. The skinny guy walked a few feet, turned around, paused and stared at me for quite some time. He then screamed "DON'T POINT THAT AT ME!!!" a good 10 seconds after walking in front of the barrel so that everyone that heard it would turn and look at me. Of course, conveniently they did not see him standing in front of me anymore, nor did they see the other employee cause the gun to be pointed at him in the first place. Then as he sat down in front of two other customers he muttered, "Dumbass!" I immediately handed back the gun and never went there again.

Neither one of them wanted to admit that they had screwed up. The fat guy should have let me direct the barrel. If the fat guy wanted to act like a cool "I'm going to save the day" "firearms guy," he should have stopped the skinny guy from walking in front of me. Instead he forced me to point the gun at the skinny guy, who then yelled at me for having the gun pointed at him, which was the fat guy's doing. So basically two gun store employees screwed up and then blamed me for it and yelled at me, fully armed with loaded weapons of course. When I asked the fat guy if the skinny guy was joking (Because I didn't point the gun at him, the fat guy did), the fat guy said "well, you did point it at him." When in fact the fat guy is who did it, sure it was in my hands, but he grabbed the barrel and jerked it right into the guy's path. They thought they were big, bad and infallible like a lot of gun store employees I encounter think.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yep, I've been there too. They're great, but their selection in store is small. They will order stuff for you though and they have good customer service.

yonder

imported post

I've gone into that place a few times and have always walked out empty handed. They seem to have an inflated sense of what everything in that store is worth.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yes, they do overcharge for things in the store, but when ordering stuff the pricing seems to be just fine.