Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible self-defense shootng in SL

State Researcher

Post imported post

KSL keeps updating and changing this story so I'll post what I can here directly in adddition to a link.

Prior versions suggested the security guard was a vietnam vet with a permit to carry.

Charles

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3722062

A violent shooting this afternoon left one man dead outside a Salt Lake City restaurant. Now police are trying to figure out what prompted the shooting near 1400 South and West Temple.
    Witnesses say 47-year-old Mike James May, a transient in the area, began yelling at people who were sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation restaurant.

The witnesses say May took a swing at the customers, threatened them and a security guard and then reached inside his jacket or backpack. That's when the security guard pulled out his concealed weapon and fired.
    That single shot, which hit the May in the torso, was fatal.
    Neighbors who were on scene moments after the shooting say it's unsettling. "People don't seem to care anymore. They don't seem to care who they shoot or what they disturb. It's ridiculous!" said Ben Hollands, a resident who lives nearby.
    Police say the security guard has been very cooperative with them and, as of about a half hour ago, they have decided not to book him. They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case.
    To listen to a short interview with a witness named Mitch McMillen, click the related audio link.

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

Updated...

A bullet fired on a Salt Lake City street at lunchtime killed a man. Now we're learning the gun may have been fired in self-defense.

The shooting happened during a confrontation between two men near 1400 South and West Temple. Witnesses say 47-year-old Mike James May, a transient in the area, began yelling at people who were sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation restaurant.

The witnesses say May took a swing at the customers, threatened them and a security guard and then reached inside his jacket or backpack. That's when the security guard pulled out his concealed weapon and fired. That single shot, which hit the May in the torso, was fatal.

Mark Cazares, co-owner of Mama's Southern Plantation, believes it's a case of self-defense. "For him [the security guard] to defend himself this way, he had to feel his life was in danger. He, once again, he was a Vietnam vet, so he's had to deal with weapons and things before. I'm sure this was a life-threatening situation to him," he said.

Neighbors who were on scene moments after the shooting say it's unsettling. "People don't seem to care anymore. They don't seem to care who they shoot or what they disturb. It's ridiculous!" said Ben Hollands, a resident who lives nearby.

Police say the security guard has been very cooperative with them and, as of about a half hour ago, they have decided not to book him. They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

This is such a great example of where more people should carry guns. Who knows what the transient guymight have had tucked awayin that packpack or in his pocket? It was clear that the BG had already enguaged in aggrevated assault and was escalating the situation to where the security guard had no other choice.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Would be interesting to know what type of round he was using (hollow points, full metal jackets, etc).

Post imported post

And of course you get the standard, "Ah! Guns are bad, nobody cares, ban guns" type of comment. Lovely.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

the man that was shot did not have a weapon

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3730371

"We're hearing a different side to the story of a fatal shooting outside a Salt Lake City restaurant.

Witnesses say the victim was yelling at the shooter and acted like he was going for a weapon, but friends of the victim say that doesn't sound like him.
    Friends of Michael Mays say witness reports just don't fall in line with the man they knew. They say he was a friendly, kind father and grandfather, and in all the years they knew him, he never showed any signs of violence.
    Mays worked as a contractor for Leslye Stratton and Martel Burrows. "There was absolutely nothing that he could not build or do," Stratton says.
    They know he had a drug problem. They even got him into rehab once, but they say he was never violent. But yesterday, witnesses report Mays was aggressive and violent, yelling at a group of men sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation Restaurant near 1400 South and West Temple
    When he acted like he was going for a weapon, one of the men, a part-time security guard named George Harrison, pulled out his concealed weapon and fired.
    Burrows says, "Mike did not have a weapon. He didn't have a gun. He didn't have a knife. He didn't have a toothpick. For this man to shot him, it's murder, it's murder."
    Stratton says, "Any kind of weapon that he would have would probably be a little biscuit for his dog in his backpack. That's the kind of man he was, and [he was] very connected with his family."
    Police confirm that Mays did not have a weapon on him. They did interview Harrison and release him last night. They say they'll meet with the District Attorney in the next few days to determine if charges are appropriate.
    We looked into Mays' criminal background and found charges for drugs and domestic violence. We didn't find anything on the shooter.
    Coming up on Eyewitness News at 5, hear from experts on both sides of the gun debate about whether the shooting was justified. "

Ksl changed the storry twice since I read it the first time, I cant belive they do this all the time.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

edit: tripple tap

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

edit: tripple

Post imported post

OK, let me get this straight... the Burrows, a family who hired the deceased as a contractor, said he wasn't violent. The police say the deceased has Domestic Violence convictions. Hmm... OK...

Then the "Burrows" say this... LMAO... this is classic:

Burrows says, "Mike did not have a weapon. He didn't have a gun. He didn't have a knife. He didn't have a toothpick. For this man to shot him, it's murder, it's murder."
    HE DIDN'T HAVE A TOOTHPICK!!!! IT'S MURDER I TELLS 'YA!!!! MURDER!!!!

LMAOROFLTD

Post imported post

LOL, the family always says that the deceased was not violent. Yet obviously not the case.

And he had a drug problem, and they admit it? Geez.

Denial.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    OK, let me get this straight... the Burrows, a family who hired the deceased as a contractor, said he wasn't violent. The police say the deceased has Domestic Violence convictions. Hmm... OK...

Then the "Burrows" say this... LMAO... this is classic:

HE DIDN'T HAVE A TOOTHPICK!!!! IT'S MURDER I TELLS 'YA!!!! MURDER!!!!

LMAOROFLTD
    Haha... No the best is this one..

Stratton says, "Any kind of weapon that he would have would probably be a little biscuit for his dog in his backpack. That's the kind of man he was, and [he was] very connected with his family."
    All he had was his biscuit for his dog...

Post imported post

Huh? This guy is a moron.. did you just see that he called a doggie biscuit a weapon? Well then, this is completely justified in my mind.

Any kind of weapon that he would have would probably be a little biscuit for his dog.

Post imported post

Post imported post

xRapidDavex wrote: Bla Bla Bla... Gunn should shut his blow hole! I'll bet that if it was an off-Duty cop that shot that guy dead, there wouldn't even be a story.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    xRapidDavex wrote: Bla Bla Bla... Gunn should shut his blow hole! I'll bet that if it was an off-Duty cop that shot that guy dead, there wouldn't even be a story.

Kevin
    yeah I watched that.... I'm glad Gunn has the name he does, he didnt say anything worth while. He did say he wants the guns out of the peoples hands, but for what so criminals will still have them? and crime will go up?

I wish I knew what his deal is. what a family member kill them self with a gun? or get murdered? or is he just straight ignorant?

If it were a cop that shot him, the news story would be much much different

Post imported post

I put a lot of thought into this encounter. I thought to myself if this was me would I have had the same outcome. Then while I was on my way to work open carrying on my motorcycle . The thought hit me if the firearm used in killing the man in front of the Cafe was carried out in the open would the encounter have had a different outcome. I feel for both familys of this incident and hope that this will not be a step back in gun rights but on the other hand I can not imagine what was going on in the minds of each person when this happened. I put my trust in the D.A and SLCPD to rule in this case.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Has anyone heard anything new on this?

Post imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
    Has anyone heard anything new on this?
    Only the comments made by local ppl on ksl.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...;comments=true

Most are calling this guy a murderer and how he shouldn't have shot this other guy...very shocking, at least to me. I think its so funny the vast number of ppl so quik to call a gun "bad" - but when they are in trouble of any sort, they call the police, hmm...

I dunno the whole story ofcourse, but geez:

"What is Utah coming to? The only thing that is used to resolve disputes is guns. Put the guns away and just walk away!" -by Becca @ 1:23pm - Wed Jul 9th, 2008

geez...

Post imported post

Must distribute that sign. I would like to see it up on every gun free zone.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Must distribute that sign. I would like to see it up on every gun free zone.
    lol
    No kidding.

Post imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
    ....They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case....
    It was ruled SELF-DEFENSE

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10063162

Post imported post

" Let me understand a "liberals" thinking here..........

Mr. Harrison had two other witnesses to confirm his story (no where in this story does it mention Harrison holding a gun to these two witnesses heads), he has stated numerous of times how he wishes this incident had never taken place.

Now, on the other hand (left one to be exact), had Mr. Harrison been a law abiding liberal and had the living crap beatin' out of him or possibly been killed. Mr. Mays would be charged with assault and battery, attempted murder, or murder. And the Utah Tax Payers would foot the bill.

While I feel sorry for both families to have to go through this ordeal, I'm still in favor of concealed weapons."

-BrainFart:8/1/2008 4:17:00 AM:http://166.70.44.77/comments/read_co...2&sec=News

Hahahahaha

Post imported post

It is unfortunate that despite the DA ruling self-defense that there are still so many in this state that insist that this event was murder and a murderer is walking free.

You shouldn't have to worry about jail or repurcussions when you are defending yourself and/or your family from threats of harm.

It's nice to have a forum like this where you can find those with similar mindsets and ethics regarding gun laws and safety.

Thank you opencarry.org for being a voice!

Post imported post

From what I know of the case, I believe that it was absolutely self defense.

Glad the DA agreed.

Post imported post

swjr wrote:
    ...You shouldn't have to worry about jail or repercussions when you are defending yourself and/or your family from threats of harm....
    Unfortunately I'm sure this isn't the case.

Half of the people that OC/CC for protection probably (hopefully) dread the day they might have to defend themselves. However, Its sad, that we worry so much about what its worth to us that we protected ourselves PRE-event...

Edit: (((Did that make sense?)))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast