• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible self-defense shootng in SL

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

KSL keeps updating and changing this story so I'll post what I can here directly in adddition to a link.

Prior versions suggested the security guard was a vietnam vet with a permit to carry.

Charles

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3722062

A violent shooting this afternoon left one man dead outside a Salt Lake City restaurant. Now police are trying to figure out what prompted the shooting near 1400 South and West Temple.
Witnesses say 47-year-old Mike James May, a transient in the area, began yelling at people who were sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation restaurant.

The witnesses say May took a swing at the customers, threatened them and a security guard and then reached inside his jacket or backpack. That's when the security guard pulled out his concealed weapon and fired.
That single shot, which hit the May in the torso, was fatal.
Neighbors who were on scene moments after the shooting say it's unsettling. "People don't seem to care anymore. They don't seem to care who they shoot or what they disturb. It's ridiculous!" said Ben Hollands, a resident who lives nearby.
Police say the security guard has been very cooperative with them and, as of about a half hour ago, they have decided not to book him. They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case.
To listen to a short interview with a witness named Mitch McMillen, click the related audio link.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Updated...

A bullet fired on a Salt Lake City street at lunchtime killed a man. Now we're learning the gun may have been fired in self-defense.

The shooting happened during a confrontation between two men near 1400 South and West Temple. Witnesses say 47-year-old Mike James May, a transient in the area, began yelling at people who were sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation restaurant.

The witnesses say May took a swing at the customers, threatened them and a security guard and then reached inside his jacket or backpack. That's when the security guard pulled out his concealed weapon and fired. That single shot, which hit the May in the torso, was fatal.

Mark Cazares, co-owner of Mama's Southern Plantation, believes it's a case of self-defense. "For him [the security guard] to defend himself this way, he had to feel his life was in danger. He, once again, he was a Vietnam vet, so he's had to deal with weapons and things before. I'm sure this was a life-threatening situation to him," he said.

Neighbors who were on scene moments after the shooting say it's unsettling. "People don't seem to care anymore. They don't seem to care who they shoot or what they disturb. It's ridiculous!" said Ben Hollands, a resident who lives nearby.

Police say the security guard has been very cooperative with them and, as of about a half hour ago, they have decided not to book him. They say they will meet with the district attorney very soon to discuss the case.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

This is such a great example of where more people should carry guns. Who knows what the transient guymight have had tucked awayin that packpack or in his pocket? It was clear that the BG had already enguaged in aggrevated assault and was escalating the situation to where the security guard had no other choice.

Kevin

xRapidDavex

imported post

Would be interesting to know what type of round he was using (hollow points, full metal jackets, etc).

thx997303

imported post

And of course you get the standard, "Ah! Guns are bad, nobody cares, ban guns" type of comment. Lovely.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the man that was shot did not have a weapon

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3730371

"We're hearing a different side to the story of a fatal shooting outside a Salt Lake City restaurant.

Witnesses say the victim was yelling at the shooter and acted like he was going for a weapon, but friends of the victim say that doesn't sound like him.
Friends of Michael Mays say witness reports just don't fall in line with the man they knew. They say he was a friendly, kind father and grandfather, and in all the years they knew him, he never showed any signs of violence.
Mays worked as a contractor for Leslye Stratton and Martel Burrows. "There was absolutely nothing that he could not build or do," Stratton says.
They know he had a drug problem. They even got him into rehab once, but they say he was never violent. But yesterday, witnesses report Mays was aggressive and violent, yelling at a group of men sitting outside Mama's Southern Plantation Restaurant near 1400 South and West Temple
When he acted like he was going for a weapon, one of the men, a part-time security guard named George Harrison, pulled out his concealed weapon and fired.
Burrows says, "Mike did not have a weapon. He didn't have a gun. He didn't have a knife. He didn't have a toothpick. For this man to shot him, it's murder, it's murder."
Stratton says, "Any kind of weapon that he would have would probably be a little biscuit for his dog in his backpack. That's the kind of man he was, and [he was] very connected with his family."
Police confirm that Mays did not have a weapon on him. They did interview Harrison and release him last night. They say they'll meet with the District Attorney in the next few days to determine if charges are appropriate.
We looked into Mays' criminal background and found charges for drugs and domestic violence. We didn't find anything on the shooter.
Coming up on Eyewitness News at 5, hear from experts on both sides of the gun debate about whether the shooting was justified. "

Ksl changed the storry twice since I read it the first time, I cant belive they do this all the time.

GeneticsDave

imported post

OK, let me get this straight... the Burrows, a family who hired the deceased as a contractor, said he wasn't violent. The police say the deceased has Domestic Violence convictions. Hmm... OK...

Then the "Burrows" say this... LMAO... this is classic:

Burrows says, "Mike did not have a weapon. He didn't have a gun. He didn't have a knife. He didn't have a toothpick. For this man to shot him, it's murder, it's murder."
HE DIDN'T HAVE A TOOTHPICK!!!! IT'S MURDER I TELLS 'YA!!!! MURDER!!!!

LMAOROFLTD

thx997303

imported post

LOL, the family always says that the deceased was not violent. Yet obviously not the case.

And he had a drug problem, and they admit it? Geez.

Denial.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
OK, let me get this straight... the Burrows, a family who hired the deceased as a contractor, said he wasn't violent. The police say the deceased has Domestic Violence convictions. Hmm... OK...

Then the "Burrows" say this... LMAO... this is classic:

HE DIDN'T HAVE A TOOTHPICK!!!! IT'S MURDER I TELLS 'YA!!!! MURDER!!!!

LMAOROFLTD
Haha... No the best is this one..

Stratton says, "Any kind of weapon that he would have would probably be a little biscuit for his dog in his backpack. That's the kind of man he was, and [he was] very connected with his family."
All he had was his biscuit for his dog... :D:D

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:

Bla Bla Bla... Gunn should shut his blow hole! I'll bet that if it was an off-Duty cop that shot that guy dead, there wouldn't even be a story.

Kevin

yeah I watched that.... I'm glad Gunn has the name he does, :lol:he didnt say anything worth while. He did say he wants the guns out of the peoples hands, but for what so criminals will still have them? and crime will go up?

I wish I knew what his deal is. what a family member kill them self with a gun? or get murdered? or is he just straight ignorant?

If it were a cop that shot him, the news story would be much much different

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I put a lot of thought into this encounter. I thought to myself if this was me would I have had the same outcome. Then while I was on my way to work open carrying on my motorcycle . The thought hit me if the firearm used in killing the man in front of the Cafe was carried out in the open would the encounter have had a different outcome. I feel for both familys of this incident and hope that this will not be a step back in gun rights but on the other hand I can not imagine what was going on in the minds of each person when this happened. I put my trust in the D.A and SLCPD to rule in this case.

scorpioajr

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
Has anyone heard anything new on this?
Only the comments made by local ppl on ksl.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3722062&comments=true

Most are calling this guy a murderer and how he shouldn't have shot this other guy...very shocking, at least to me. I think its so funny the vast number of ppl so quik to call a gun "bad" - but when they are in trouble of any sort, they call the police, hmm...

I dunno the whole story ofcourse, but geez:

"What is Utah coming to? The only thing that is used to resolve disputes is guns. Put the guns away and just walk away!" -by Becca @ 1:23pm - Wed Jul 9th, 2008

geez...