• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man found in WI basement covered in BBQ sauce

Pointman

imported post

Mangledfrom: http://www.wwmt.com/news/sauce_1350893___article.html/basement_covered.html
Appleton, WI, July 3, 2008 - 7:44 AM

A couple telephoned police in the middle of the night after finding a man in their basement covered head to toe in barbecue sauce. "He told the officers that it was urban camouflage," said the homeowner.

The homeowners say they woke up to whistling sounds. The husband grabbed his shotgun and headed toward the basement where he found the sauced-up intruder andheld him at gunpoint until police arrived.

Police reportedly grilled the man who told officers he covered himself in barbecue sauce because he wanted to hide from the government. When questioned about the incident, officer Davenport responded, "Tastes like chicken."

The man faces burglary charges.

41 Magnum

imported post

Easy on the "blast him first" stuff. Given the situation, I'm sure the homeowner knows details about said perps demeanor, the distances involved, available weapons, etc.,then we ever will.

This had the best possible outcome:

Nothing taken, nobody hurt, bad guy goes away.

Pointman

imported post

The opinion at this point is the intruder was probably on drugs similar to LSD. The homeowner doesn't think it was marijuana, because the intruder wasn't baked.

SQLtables

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
Easy on the "blast him first" stuff. Given the situation, I'm sure the homeowner knows details about said perps demeanor, the distances involved, available weapons, etc.,then we ever will.

I'm sorry, but a lot can happen in the time it takes for the police to arrive. Keeping this guy from being hurt isn't worth the risk to my family.

My outcome, while maybe not the BEST for everyone involved, it guarentees my families safety, and that is number 1 priority:

Nothing taken, family not hurt, bad guy goes away, no laws broken

41 Magnum

imported post

I'mNOT saying don't protect your family. I'm not sayingbarbecue boyhad ANY right to be there.

BUT-

We weren't there. There are simply too many details that we will never know. Obviously the homeowner didn't feel lethal force was justified. Turns out it wasn't needed. Now he won't have to live with having to have shot someone the rest of his life.

That's a GOOD thing, right?

holeinhead

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
I'mNOT saying don't protect your family. I'm not sayingbarbecue boyhad ANY right to be there.

BUT-

We weren't there. There are simply too many details that we will never know. Obviously the homeowner didn't feel lethal force was justified. Turns out it wasn't needed. Now he won't have to live with having to have shot someone the rest of his life.

That's a GOOD thing, right?

I agree with you there. If I'm ever in that kind of situation, my hope is that I don't have to shoot, but will do so if I feel it's needed. If the situation can be resolved with no shots fired, then I'm less likely to have to deal with courts, and I don't have to deal with possibly killing someone. But if the intruder gives me reason to believe I need to shoot him, bang.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Loved the light mood of the article.

I too think the homeowner did the right thing. He was armed and ready if things escalated, they didn't, and no one got hurt.

1FASTC4

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Pointman wrote:

This guy is lucky he's alive. I'm not a big fan of "held him at gunpoint until police arrived." Not in my house.
Really? How many people have you shot in your house?

41 Magnum

imported post

You don't EVER want to see someone shot. I've seen it. Don't EVER want to again.

"Hold it right there and marinate?" :lol::lol:

If you could really pull that off under those type of circumstances, you are the coolest head I've ever heard of.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Only have two problems with just holding him there....
1. He knows where you live, you will not be able to get info on him.
2. He obviously will be getting off as a nut case defence, so no justice.

Was it the home owners bbq sauce?

thorvaldr

imported post

" Do crooks now come pre-coated? Mmmm-mmm good!"

Reminds me of the time a chipmunk fell in the trashcan at scout camp and got coated in maple syrup. We tipped the can to let him out but he was promply caught by this Jack Russell terrier. I always thought that catching a syrup covered chipmunk must be a high point in a Jack Russell terriers life. But I digress....

Jason Rogers

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:

I'm sorry, but a lot can happen in the time it takes for the police to arrive. Keeping this guy from being hurt isn't worth the risk to my family.

My outcome, while maybe not the BEST for everyone involved, it guarentees my families safety, and that is number 1 priority:

Nothing taken, family not hurt, bad guy goes away, no laws broken

If you are the type of person who can kill because it is a little more convinient or you don't want to have to stand there with the heavy shotgun cause you are getting borred orthis is finaly your big chance to kill a man and not go to jailthan I never want you for a neighbor.

Castle laws or other may make killing anyone in your home legal, but never in all cases moral. It is not for the law to instruct us in our morality.

Unless this man got real compiant real fast I would likely shoot. But the ball would be in his court.

If I take a mans life I firmly beleve GOD will ask me on judgement day why did I kill one of his children.If I don't have a JUST AND RIGHTEOUS reasonI will be found lacking and cast out of the sight of GOD.

Castle law may in most cases protect the innocent home owner but we have a duty to ourselves to act at all times in the most moral manner possible.

I think the castle doctrin of protecting the home owner in all cases of wrongfull entry shootingis acceptable even if some who are to quick to kill are shielded also. But that doesn't mean I am going to come onto this forum and tell you it's OK to kill without cause.-Jay