• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE

Gosirr

imported post

First I would like to thank you all for the education. I'm new to the forum and I'm dissy with the welth of info I have gotten. I have sent the LEO info document to my police chief in Hazel Park,MI. (no responce) Was wondering if anyone has oc'd in Hazel Park yet? I still have the jitters about doing it alone my first time. MY background: ccw holder for about 6 yrs now. I carry cc most of the time -Glock 23.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Gosirr wrote:
First I would like to thank you all for the education. I'm new to the forum and I'm dissy with the welth of info I have gotten. I have sent the LEO info document to my police chief in Hazel Park,MI. (no responce) Was wondering if anyone has oc'd in Hazel Park yet? I still have the jitters about doing it alone my first time. MY background: ccw holder for about 6 yrs now. I carry cc most of the time -Glock 23.
Welcome to OCDO Gosirr. Can you attend the Lapeer County Picnic on Sunday, August 31? Also, the Charity Event on Saturday, September 13 (See Threads)?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
Welcome to OCDO Gosirr. Can you attend the Lapeer County Picnic on Sunday, August 31? Also, the Charity Event on Saturday, September 13 (See Threads)?
What picnic is this? Dop we have a thread that explains all the upcoming events in MI?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Mike wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
What picnic is this? Dop we have a thread that explains all the upcoming events in MI?

Lapeer County Thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15093.html

Charity Event Thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/12077.html

ETA: Not at this time Mike. Hopefully, in the near future, OC events can be organized in a earlier fashion to allow for an Event Schedule Thread,for example.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Mike wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Gosirr wrote:

Lapeer County Thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15093.html

Charity Event Thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/12077.html

ETA: Not at this time Mike. Hopefully, in the near future, OC events can be organized in a earlier fashion to allow for an Event Schedule Thread,for example.
Maybe Venator or somebody can create a "Michigan Events Schedule Thread," then i will sticky it, and Venator can update the initial post - just bare bones of who/what/where etc for each event - so much seems to be happnening in Michigan!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Mike wrote:
SNIP
Maybe Venator or somebody can create a "Michigan Events Schedule Thread," then i will sticky it, and Venator can update the initial post - just bare bones of who/what/where etc for each event - so much seems to be happnening in Michigan!
Sounds good to me. If Brian or someone else here (Mi) does not want to do it, I will.

nuxi

People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
imported post

Continuing on the firearms and universities topic:

It was mentioned that university policy is different from a law, but MCL has this gem regarding Michigan Tech's Board of Control:

"When the rules and regulations are adopted, posted on the premises to which they pertain, and also published in newspapers circulated in Baraga and Houghton counties, they shall constitute ordinances. Any violation of such ordinances is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $100.00 or imprisonment for not more than 60 days, or both."

Does anyone know what legally constitutes posting on a premises?

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have looked for signage on the dorms and public safety building, but have not found any. I am a volunteer fireman, my chief happens to be a public safety officer there as well. He is well aware of my open carrying as there is usually an empty holster on my at a fire call, lol. half a mile to get to the firehall at a nice rate of speed through town streets, easier to remove and glove box the weapon without the holster.

Anyways, i will ask him and ask if there was ever any talk that it is not a legal policy you can enforce on the general public, as there is no postings regarding it as required by law. Kinda interesting twist, and I think I may have been happier not knowing this.

Alas, it doesnt sound like parking areas are exempt either. On top of that, the reason for the policy is to keep the campus safe. It clearly hasn't helped with the letter threats or bombs they found on campus some years back. perhaps they should make a ordinance insisting all legally allowed to students carry a gun instead.

nuxi

People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
imported post

Well just remember that dorms and classrooms are covered under CPL law. You can't concealed carry there. Not sure if you have a CPL or not. I just got mine.

I might be up that way this weekend, so I'd be interested to know the answer. Although since I spend most of the time drunk off my ass when I visit, I probably won't bother bringing up a firearm.

Day

imported post

The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as: 1) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. 2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair. 3) While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business. 4) While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol. 5) While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale. 6) While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted. 7) While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

I bought my first pistol today (a Taurus 1911-AlL, and she's beautiful), and I've been looking for information on Michigan's open carry laws. This was a great help, but I'm still a tad confused.

If you can only lawfully transport your pistol under the above circumstances, how are you supposed to get your pistol to a place where you'd like to open carry? Say I want to open carry in my local Wal-mart, but I need to drive there. Would it be unlawful to transport my pistol to Wal-mart?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Day wrote:
The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as: 1) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. 2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair. 3) While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business. 4) While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol. 5) While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale. 6) While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted. 7) While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

I bought my first pistol today (a Taurus 1911-AlL, and she's beautiful), and I've been looking for information on Michigan's open carry laws. This was a great help, but I'm still a tad confused.

If you can only lawfully transport your pistol under the above circumstances, how are you supposed to get your pistol to a place where you'd like to open carry? Say I want to open carry in my local Wal-mart, but I need to drive there. Would it be unlawful to transport my pistol to Wal-mart?
I think you are conflating restrictions on "carrying a handgun" with "transporting" a handgun. 18 USC 926 A provides place to place immunity as you presumably know already; reagrdless, what does full text of Michigan statute say on this subject?

ghostrider

imported post

Mike wrote:
Day wrote:

I think you are conflating restrictions on "carrying a handgun" with "transporting" a handgun. 18 USC 926 A provides place to place immunity as you presumably know already; reagrdless, what does full text of Michigan statute say on this subject?
The statute refers to what are inclusions of lawful purpose. It makes no such definition.

(b) “Lawful purpose” includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. (ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.
(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.
(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed on the pistol as is required by section 9 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.429, or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.
(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.
(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(hpw2rw45zqrjb245rnbrrtat))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol%20AND%20en%20AND%20route

The MSP website has taken the word "includes", and changed it to "defines".

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Mike wrote:
Day wrote:

18 USC 926 Pertains to the "interstate" transportation of a firearm, not the "intrastate" transportation of firearms; BIG difference as far as the law is concerned. States would need to interpret through the courts. New Jersey and Illinois communities, as examples, are known for citing people who transport because of the inter/intra issue.

Yes, it appears that the MSP page did change the wording of the law. The law gives examples but seems to allow that there are more lawful purposes than listed whereas the MSP page is limiting the lawful purposes portion to those listed. This is much like the MSP's Pistol Free Areas webpage which USED to say that CPL holders could not posses a firearm in the listed areas, but now does say "concealed" pistols.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DrTodd wrote:
18 USC 926 Pertains to the "interstate" transportation of a firearm, not the "intrastate" transportation of firearms; BIG difference as far as the law is concerned. States would need to interpret through the courts.
No, read the text of the statute - it provides place to place immunity.