• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How DC Can Defy SCOTUS

beradcee

imported post

I'd be willing to bet that they take as long as they possibly can, probably until another court has to intervene and force their hand, before they really make handguns available to the 'common folk'.

LuvmyXD9

imported post

Wait, I guess I haven't bought enough weapons to understand this, but what's to stop a person from buying a gun out of state and simply driving the weapon home? I understand you can't ship to an FFL, but you could buy one in another state and simply take it home, right?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Nope....handguns must be transfered to you from an FFL in your state of residence.....

Edit to add:...unless you have a relative that can "gift" you one that lives in another state (depending on their states laws)

Deanimator

imported post

Josh Sugermann of VPC is an FFL in DC.

Get a Black person to try to order a gun from him, then when he refuses, file a discrimination suit. If nothing else move to have his FFL administratively terminated.

JosephMingle

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Josh Sugermann of VPC is an FFL in DC.

Get a Black person to try to order a gun from him, then when he refuses, file a discrimination suit. If nothing else move to have his FFL administratively terminated.
Now that's a really good idea!!!

crotalus01

imported post

Sugermann got his FFL specifically to be able to take possession of handguns and destroy them. It used to be that BATFE said you had to be ussing your FFL to make a profit. If thats still the case simply report Mr. Sugermann to BATFE as not using his FFL properly...

Tomahawk

imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
Sugermann got his FFL specifically to be able to take possession of handguns and destroy them. It used to be that BATFE said you had to be ussing your FFL to make a profit. If thats still the case simply report Mr. Sugermann to BATFE as not using his FFL properly...
Could it be that BATFE practices "selective enforcement"? I would be shocked! shocked I tell you! to find that to be the case.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

But first, one must find a D.C. resident who is legally capable under Federal law of possessing a firearm.

On a more serious note, just as many sheriffs are noted for sitting on purchase and carry permit applications forever while "waiting to hear back from the FBI," so Sugarmann could easily agree to sell the gun "as soon as it arrives" while never actually receiving it. Or he could charge a ridiculously intolerable markup. Dealers who want to deal have been driving away customers for eons, someone like Sugarmann who actually wants to drive them away won't have any problem finding methods to do so.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said Sugarmann could claim that the ordered weapon never arrived. I was referring to what he'd tell would-be purchasers who came to him to order guns for them. Instead of flat out turning down their business and thereby proving he wasn't really in the firearms business and possibly losing his FFL, he could just promise to order the desired firearm, then tell the customer "it hasn't come in yet" until the customer tires of the game.