Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: what else can you carry with a ltc?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    what else can you carry in your car if you have a license to carry in indiana?shotgun? ak? can they be loaded? i heard they recently changed the gun legislation in indiana and i never saw anything on in.gov about shotguns and rifles.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    LTCH - License To Carry a Handgun.

    Carrying unloaded rifles is legal with or without a LTCH.

    This is one of those issues where if the License was called what it is by everyone these questions wouldn't come up.

    It's not a CCW or CCP or LTC or CCL or whatever other term they call it in whatever other state it may be.

    It's a LTCH.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, ,
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    Prometheus wrote:

    Carrying unloaded rifles is legal with or without a LTCH.
    IIRC, you can carry rifles loaded or unloaded. At least, I wasn't able to find a statute that said they had to be unloaded.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LaPorte, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    I think you can carry long guns so long as there isn't a round in the chamber.

    I could be wrong, but I don't carry long guns.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    161

    Post imported post

    Well in these parts we just call it a PER-mit. EPHAsis on the PER.

    PER-mits let you carry a handgun open or concealed. For some reason the PER is usualy preceeded by "your" or "my". As in: Did you get your PER-mit yet? I got my PER-mit in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

    I have had my PER-mit for about 2 years now but I have owned guns since I can remember.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ogden, UT, ,
    Posts
    258

    Post imported post

    Please dont open carry an "Assault Rifle" down the road to make some point, sure use your 30.06 or shotgun

    Yeah most laws in most states say you can carry a long gun unloaded on the street.

    I only say that because it would give the liberals at heart attack if they saw you and more ammo for the AWB.

    Most conceal carry permit laws say handgun only, Utah says no rifel or machine gun



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    Honestly, I don't know what the laws on carrying long guns are, but even if carrying them is legal, it is not because of the LTC. If you read the license, it says license to carry handgun, so all you can carry with it are handguns (I'm not sure if assault pistols are included).

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LaPorte, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    tattedupboy wrote:
    Honestly, I don't know what the laws on carrying long guns are, but even if carrying them is legal, it is not because of the LTC. If you read the license, it says license to carry handgun, so all you can carry with it are handguns (I'm not sure if assault pistols are included).
    Define "assault pistol".

    If you are talking about an AR type pistol, It's legal, probably not smart though.

    LTCH is a license to carry a handgun.

    The right to carry long guns is a birth right in Indiana.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    tattedupboy wrote:
    (I'm not sure if assault pistols are included).
    Whats an "assault pistol"?

    Not such animal in the state of Indiana. Kommiefornia, yeah. Indiana? No.

    FWIW My wife has OC'ed a Skorpion machine pistol in front of 3 Hammond cops (let alone half of NW Indiana).... if anything would fall under "assault pistol"... that'd be it, LOL!

    I'm probably going to be OC'ing a Keltec PLR for halloween this year if I go as Neo.. otherwise it'll be dual 1911's as "Hitman".

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    Prometheus wrote:
    tattedupboy wrote:
    (I'm not sure if assault pistols are included).
    Whats an "assault pistol"?

    Not such animal in the state of Indiana. Kommiefornia, yeah. Indiana? No.

    FWIW My wife has OC'ed a Skorpion machine pistol in front of 3 Hammond cops (let alone half of NW Indiana).... if anything would fall under "assault pistol"... that'd be it, LOL!

    I'm probably going to be OC'ing a Keltec PLR for halloween this year if I go as Neo.. otherwise it'll be dual 1911's as "Hitman".
    Actually, Gary and East Chicago have assault weapon bans that were grandfathered when the state passed its preemption law in the 90s. So yes, there is such an animal in this state, and if you're caught with an AK-47, AR-15, MAC 10 or Intratec 9 in either of these cities, you can be arrested. Furthermore, don't even think of trying to get a class III fully automatic weapon in either city; it will not be approved. Not sure if violating these laws is a felony or misdemeanor, but it can prove to be troublesome nevertheless.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    attedupboy wrote:
    Actually, Gary and East Chicago have assault weapon bans that were grandfathered when the state passed its preemption law in the 90s. So yes, there is such an animal in this state, and if you're caught with an AK-47, AR-15, MAC 10 or Intratec 9 in either of these cities, you can be arrested. Furthermore, don't even think of trying to get a class III fully automatic weapon in either city; it will not be approved. Not sure if violating these laws is a felony or misdemeanor, but it can prove to be troublesome nevertheless.
    The state of Indiana has no such laws. Theoretically South Bend has a hi cap mag ban too, but it's still nothing to do with state laws.

    If gary and e. chicago do have those laws they would be misdemeanors (as they fall under nuisance violations, cities can't pass felony laws). Max fine would be $2,500, confiscation of weapon (judge has to order return), I can't recall if they can assign jail time over this, if they can, max would be a few days again due to state limitations on what cities can and can't charge/fine/imprison ect. ect.

    Again I don't go into gary or east chicago so I don't concern myself with their silly ordinances or policies. State law is all that really matters, in most of these cases you can "beat the rap, but not the ride". i.e. if I am passing thru either of them with an AR or AK under peaceable journey laws I'm still legal because neither of those two places are my destination and I'm legal where I started and where I'm ending.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    Prometheus wrote:
    attedupboy wrote:
    Actually, Gary and East Chicago have assault weapon bans that were grandfathered when the state passed its preemption law in the 90s. So yes, there is such an animal in this state, and if you're caught with an AK-47, AR-15, MAC 10 or Intratec 9 in either of these cities, you can be arrested. Furthermore, don't even think of trying to get a class III fully automatic weapon in either city; it will not be approved. Not sure if violating these laws is a felony or misdemeanor, but it can prove to be troublesome nevertheless.
    The state of Indiana has no such laws. Theoretically South Bend has a hi cap mag ban too, but it's still nothing to do with state laws.

    If gary and e. chicago do have those laws they would be misdemeanors (as they fall under nuisance violations, cities can't pass felony laws). Max fine would be $2,500, confiscation of weapon (judge has to order return), I can't recall if they can assign jail time over this, if they can, max would be a few days again due to state limitations on what cities can and can't charge/fine/imprison ect. ect.

    Again I don't go into gary or east chicago so I don't concern myself with their silly ordinances or policies. State law is all that really matters, in most of these cases you can "beat the rap, but not the ride". i.e. if I am passing thru either of them with an AR or AK under peaceable journey laws I'm still legal because neither of those two places are my destination and I'm legal where I started and where I'm ending.
    I'm not sure what the punishment is for violating Gary and E.C.'s assault weapons bans, but I do know that the one gun shop within Gary city limits, Jack's Pawn Shop, refused to allow me to do an FFL transfer of a MAC 10 for that very reason; I went over to Westforth Sport Shop, which sits just outside of city limits on 47th Avenue andRoosevelt Street,to do it. Even there, they told me that if they were located just two blocks east, on Cleveland Street, they could not sell many of the weapons they currently carry, such as AKs and AR-15s because they would be runnning afoul of the ordinance. So, even with you downplaying it, the gun stores seem to take the local AWB pretty seriously. If they take it that seriously, then so too should private citizens.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    tattedupboy wrote:
    I'm not sure what the punishment is for violating Gary and E.C.'s assault weapons bans, but I do know that the one gun shop within Gary city limits, Jack's Pawn Shop, refused to allow me to do an FFL transfer of a MAC 10 for that very reason; I went over to Westforth Sport Shop, which sits just outside of city limits on 47th Avenue andRoosevelt Street,to do it. Even there, they told me that if they were located just two blocks east, on Cleveland Street, they could not sell many of the weapons they currently carry, such as AKs and AR-15s because they would be runnning afoul of the ordinance. So, even with you downplaying it, the gun stores seem to take the local AWB pretty seriously. If they take it that seriously, then so too should private citizens.
    Huh, I really thought westforth was in gary. They claim to be in gary and their address comes up gary on mapquest as well... odd.

    Gun shops are notorious for not knowing the laws on firearms (specifically state and local), I never put much stock in them and I need to see the code they cite. I've been told by Indiana gun shops that with a Indiana CCW permit you could carry any firearm or weapons like switch blades and ASPs but could not open carry, "you'll spend atleast 30 days in jail"... of course IN has no CCW permit, your LTCH only covers handguns and open carry is legal.

    This isn't just a Indiana phenominom, I've found it all over. PA I had TWO gun shops tell me handguns had to be registered and you couldn't open carry... no such registration law in PA and you can OC withOUT a permit.

    BTW: Gun shop owners are 'private citizens' too

    I don't believe you have to dress up for OC, but I find that the looks are alot less when I wear khakis and plain tshirt. I got more points and stares wearing shorts, flip flops and a old navy flag tee a couple weekends ago than I have in my 12 months of OC'ing total, lol.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Prometheus wrote:
    tattedupboy wrote:
    I'm not sure what the punishment is for violating Gary and E.C.'s assault weapons bans, but I do know that the one gun shop within Gary city limits, Jack's Pawn Shop, refused to allow me to do an FFL transfer of a MAC 10 for that very reason; I went over to Westforth Sport Shop, which sits just outside of city limits on 47th Avenue andRoosevelt Street,to do it. Even there, they told me that if they were located just two blocks east, on Cleveland Street, they could not sell many of the weapons they currently carry, such as AKs and AR-15s because they would be runnning afoul of the ordinance. So, even with you downplaying it, the gun stores seem to take the local AWB pretty seriously. If they take it that seriously, then so too should private citizens.
    Huh, I really thought westforth was in gary. They claim to be in gary and their address comes up gary on mapquest as well... odd.

    Gun shops are notorious for not knowing the laws on firearms (specifically state and local), I never put much stock in them and I need to see the code they cite. I've been told by Indiana gun shops that with a Indiana CCW permit you could carry any firearm or weapons like switch blades and ASPs but could not open carry, "you'll spend atleast 30 days in jail"... of course IN has no CCW permit, your LTCH only covers handguns and open carry is legal.

    This isn't just a Indiana phenominom, I've found it all over. PA I had TWO gun shops tell me handguns had to be registered and you couldn't open carry... no such registration law in PA and you can OC withOUT a permit.

    BTW: Gun shop owners are 'private citizens' too

    I don't believe you have to dress up for OC, but I find that the looks are alot less when I wear khakis and plain tshirt. I got more points and stares wearing shorts, flip flops and a old navy flag tee a couple weekends ago than I have in my 12 months of OC'ing total, lol.
    now if only i could get one of those gun shop owners to sell me one "privately". you think they'll do it at debs Gun range?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    588merc wrote:
    now if only i could get one of those gun shop owners to sell me one "privately". you think they'll do it at debs Gun range?
    :shock:

    It is illegal for a federally licensed gun dealer to sell inventory without the appropriate paperwork and background checks.

    Deb is above board. She'd never do anything like that.

    Conspiring to committ a felony in a public form? Thats not just bad form to show to the owners of OCDO... it's criminally stupid. :?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    so if you're a federal firearm dealer you MUST only sell firearms while at work? i meant if they were on they're own time(not working at the gunshop) would it still be illegal with a LTCH? explain?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    FFl dealers can sell "off-hours", but only from their personal inventory, not their store's inventory, just as any citizen. Any firearm that a dealer removes from his stock for his own collection must remain in his collection for one year before he can sell it in a person-to-person transfer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •