Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Blackhawk holsters and double stacks 1911

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Does anyone know if a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster for 1911 model pistols are compatible with a double stack .45's like a Para Ordinance?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    Depends on the gun. If the slide and trigger guard are the same size, it should work fine. The Serpa CQC does not interact with the grip in any way.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Thanks I was looking at some pictures of that holster and a 1911, and I thought that the grip and the top of the holster just did make contact with each other, that’s why I asked. Thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Actually, AP, I've been wondering about the double-stacks, myself?

    How does the grip size compare to the single-stack? I've got a Rock Island I've been pretty happy with.

    (Also, the BH website doesn't say anything about single or double, so I would PRESUME that it is for either)
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Actually, AP, I've been wondering about the double-stacks, myself?

    How does the grip size compare to the single-stack? I've got a Rock Island I've been pretty happy with.

    (Also, the BH website doesn't say anything about single or double, so I would PRESUME that it is for either)
    The double stacks are a bit thicker then the single stacks. I have owned a P10 Para ordinance 10+1 .45ACP double stack. The grip were nice not too think other than being too short.

    I now own a 1911 single stack Springfield, I am looking at buying another 1911 and was looking ata kimber, however after watching a cop have a shootout with 3 thugs, I am thinking a double stack 45ACP 1911 would be better to have. I just hope the BH will work. I will try to contact them and ask, and get back with you on it..

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Wait, you only get 10+1 out of a double-stack?

    I get 8+1 out of mine now...
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Wait, you only get 10+1 out of a double-stack?

    I get 8+1 out of mine now...
    That was a subcompact 1911. Now I am looking at this one, http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=63 aint she purrdy?

    that's 15 rounds of 45ACP

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Nice looking, but how does it hold up in the long run?

    How well does it handle dirt and grit?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    I'm not sure about how resilient they are to dirt and grind to be honest. But the P-10 I owned was very reliable it only malfunctioned on the cheap Wolf ammo for some reason. At the time I fed it that wolf ammo had only a few hundred round through it.


    I would imagine this particular make is just as good as many of the 1911 on the market today, other then the high-end pistols. Para Ordinance is considered a high-end pistol, but I would not say it is as good as Les Barer pistols.

    I am doing more reading on the pistol now. I changed my mind about thekimber I was going to buy alloy frames can crack some times, So I think i will go with the steele

    I sent Blackhawk an email about their holster, asking if it is compatible with the double stack 1911s I hope to get a reply back soon.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Nice looking, but how does it hold up in the long run?

    How well does it handle dirt and grit?
    Watch these and see for yourself.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wL2QuFTLQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ9AdOWUNw

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Eagleeye wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Nice looking, but how does it hold up in the long run?

    How well does it handle dirt and grit?
    Watch these and see for yourself.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wL2QuFTLQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFF0TbhgQMY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ9AdOWUNw
    Could you tell me if the videoshows good results are bad results about that gun, I cant see it because where I am Yourtube is blocked.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    Sure.

    Todd Jarrett Took a Box Stock Single Stack Para-Ordnance 1911 SSP (Model: PX745E B) and put 1000 Rounds through it as fast as he could without cleaning it, letting it cool down or anything.

    In short it Functioned Flawlessly and got so hot he could barely stand to hold it or pull the trigger.

    Then later (not in the video) after he finished, the Para-Ordnance crew that was there put another 4000 rounds through it (again without Cleaning it) and never had a single problem or Jam.

    (Note that this was done with various different brands of ammo, and I am told by some that they even used quite a lot of reloads and Wolf ammo without any problems)

    http://www.para-usa.com/record/index.php

    I think with that test Para Proved their Reliability in Spades.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Well, I was talking about standing up to dirt and grit, not having a bunch of rounds put through it.

    I :shock::shock::shock::shock: well expect it to last up to having a bunch of rounds put through it.



    http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

    Dirt and grit, how well does it hold up in a SHTF situation where you don't have a cleaning kit, and you might not have a cleaning kit for yourself....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    After seeing this I decided to post pictures of my own Serpa. You may be able to modify one if they don't make one that fits. The only important part is to make sure that the trigger guard is similar enough to hold securely.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=62

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran kimbercarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    They should as the grip is just above the holster.

    One thing though, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. A few times lately I noticed that after unholstering my gun the mag was no longer seated. After putting it in the holster and rocking the gun aeound a little the mag release was pushed and it ejected the mag about a 1/4 inch. I just took out the handy Dremel and gound the holster slightly. Everythings fine now.

    P.S. The mag release is the factory one not an after market extended one

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Eagleeye wrote:
    Sure.

    Todd Jarrett Took a Box Stock Single Stack Para-Ordnance 1911 SSP (Model: PX745E B) and put 1000 Rounds through it as fast as he could without cleaning it, letting it cool down or anything.

    In short it Functioned Flawlessly and got so hot he could barely stand to hold it or pull the trigger.

    Then later (not in the video) after he finished, the Para-Ordnance crew that was there put another 4000 rounds through it (again without Cleaning it) and never had a single problem or Jam.

    (Note that this was done with various different brands of ammo, and I am told by some that they even used quite a lot of reloads and Wolf ammo without any problems)

    http://www.para-usa.com/record/index.php

    I think with that test Para Proved their Reliability in Spades.
    Thanks so much for taking your time and explaining the video for me. It really sucks having a lot of the sites blocked here, but it is all for the mission so I understand. Yes I read about test fire in in a article recently, and was impressed with the results.

    I have not heard back from BH yet, if they sayit does not fit, I may have to modify the holster if I do get the P-O

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Pointman wrote:
    I have a Para 14.45 LDAdouble-stack and Blackhawk! SERPA Level 2 CQC holster. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/10753-4.html(Wed Jun 25th, 2008 01:44 pm) for how to modify the holster to fit the Para. I highly suggest using the Blackhawk! paddle instead of the belt loop because of the gun's weight when loaded.

    The gun is a tack-driver. ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/9952-2.htmlpage 2 Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 10:27 am, page 4 Wed Jun 25th, 2008 06:09 pm)No reliability or feed problems. It's heavy because it's all metal, but it is entry match quality. If I used it for serious competition I'd put in a Briley spherical bushing and barreland staged recoil spring. The barrelwould ruin the carry ability because it's too tight for reliability in all weather conditions, so I'd put the original barrel and bushing back in when using the gun for personal-security.
    Thanks for the heads up on using the paddle attachment for the holster on the PO. I know these pistols are heavy, but are you in the least bit bothered by there weight of the PO when you carry a full load? I never had an issue with the weight of a gun on me, it is a constant reminder that I my best friend is always by my side ready to take care of me at any giving moment.

    Where is what I got back from BH
    Jermaine,

    Our holster for the 1911 will work fine with your Para Ordinance pistol. If you have any other questions, please let us know.



    Marilyn Asher
    Territory Sales Representative

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    Pointman wrote:
    Blackhawk! Sportster (the new, very affordable replacement for the CQC, but only in gray)
    They're getting rid of the CQC? I thought the sporster was just an alternative. AFIAK the sporster is made of kydex, not carbon fiber. On Blackhawk's website it says "Paddle and traditional polymer for civilian use. For high threat level environment, use the Original SERPA!"

    How does the kydex compare to the origional carbon fiber material?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    Pointman wrote:
    asforme wrote:
    They're getting rid of the CQC? ... AFIAK the sporster is made of kydex, not carbon fiber. ... How does the kydex compare to the origional carbon fiber material?
    I heard (none of this is official) that internally (meaning inside the company), there was a problem with the paddles (like with insurance companies and possible product failure) because of an investigation (by the insurance company after the shirt-got-caught-in-the-trigger incident) and Blackhawk! decided to stop making the Close Quarters Combat and make the Sportster, which is a "different product" because it only comes in gray and doesn't include the belt loop. The CQCs started selling out immediately, so distributors raised the price on the stock that was left. Blackhawk! (reportedly) took notice, and raised the price of the CQC to cover the added insurance costs, and started selling the CQC in limited quantities. Supposedly, they're still "testing the waters" and seeing how sales go. Again, none of this is official, it's only what I heard.

    Also, as far as I know, all their "carbon fiber" products are actually kydex, which is injection molded plastic. The only carbon fiber I've "seen" is the decorative stuff on the "carbon fiber finish" products, and I've never seen those in real life, probably because they're so gaudy nobody wants to buy them. I have both CQC and Sportster holsters, and they look and feel exactly the same, and are the same thickness, just different colors and price points.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLtZ...eature=related
    Look at 0:43. The carbon fiber finish is just a sticker.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Pointman

    I have a 33-34 waste also, so it sounds like we may face the same dilemma. I am looking for a double stack 1911, or the XD(M), but I really favor the 1911 platform. Kimber also makes double stack 1911s with alloy frames that has less weight, but I hear they can crack. However I guess the same argument can be said for plastic guns. I also hear Kimber have lots of issues, but the kimber I owned had no problems at all, and never once FTF or FTE also it was really accurate. What is your opinion on the 2 guns, the Kimber and PO? Which would you say is the superior make. I am considering one ofthe two for my next handgun for OC and from time to time CC. Do you have any issues with CC of your PO

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I'm confused about some of your comments as to the XD.

    Pointman wrote:

    The XD has the safeties which might make a person feel better, but the main one is hard to access in a high-stress situation.

    Unless you get a new XD and choose to get the manual safety, all the XD safeties are passive and are disabled if the firearm is properly gripped and fired just like with the Glock.

    XD come in single-stack

    I'm not aware of any XD that is not double stack. The girth of all the XD grips is the same, even the subcompacts.

    I would not buy an XD, because the buttons are sure to get mashed and put the gun in some unknown state when I need it immediately.

    The only "buttons" on an XD is the mag release. If one chose an external safety model I suppose the external safety could get flipped (I haven't yet seen one in person). Besides that there is nothing to get mashed to change the state of the pistol

    I understand your conclusion and as it is merely a matter of preference I have no disagreement to make. I was just confused as to the 3 above matters.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •