• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk holsters and double stacks 1911

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
asforme wrote:
They're getting rid of the CQC? ... AFIAK the sporster is made of kydex, not carbon fiber. ... How does the kydex compare to the origional carbon fiber material?
I heard (none of this is official) that internally (meaning inside the company), there was a problem with the paddles (like with insurance companies and possible product failure) because of an investigation (by the insurance company after the shirt-got-caught-in-the-trigger incident) and Blackhawk! decided to stop making the Close Quarters Combat and make the Sportster, which is a "different product" because it only comes in gray and doesn't include the belt loop. The CQCs started selling out immediately, so distributors raised the price on the stock that was left. Blackhawk! (reportedly) took notice, and raised the price of the CQC to cover the added insurance costs, and started selling the CQC in limited quantities. Supposedly, they're still "testing the waters" and seeing how sales go. Again, none of this is official, it's only what I heard.

Also, as far as I know, all their "carbon fiber" products are actually kydex, which is injection molded plastic. The only carbon fiber I've "seen" is the decorative stuff on the "carbon fiber finish" products, and I've never seen those in real life, probably because they're so gaudy nobody wants to buy them. I have both CQC and Sportster holsters, and they look and feel exactly the same, and are the same thickness, just different colors and price points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLtZDuXjNA&feature=related
Look at 0:43. The carbon fiber finish is just a sticker.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman

I have a 33-34 waste also, so it sounds like we may face the same dilemma. I am looking for a double stack 1911, or the XD(M), but I really favor the 1911 platform. Kimber also makes double stack 1911s with alloy frames that has less weight, but I hear they can crack. However I guess the same argument can be said for plastic guns. I also hear Kimber have lots of issues, but the kimber I owned had no problems at all, and never once FTF or FTE also it was really accurate. What is your opinion on the 2 guns, the Kimber and PO? Which would you say is the superior make. I am considering one ofthe two for my next handgun for OC and from time to time CC. Do you have any issues with CC of your PO

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:question: I'm confused about some of your comments as to the XD.

Pointman wrote:

The XD has the safeties which might make a person feel better, but the main one is hard to access in a high-stress situation.

Unless you get a new XD and choose to get the manual safety, all the XD safeties are passive and are disabled if the firearm is properly gripped and fired just like with the Glock.

XD come in single-stack

I'm not aware of any XD that is not double stack. The girth of all the XD grips is the same, even the subcompacts.

I would not buy an XD, because the buttons are sure to get mashed and put the gun in some unknown state when I need it immediately.

The only "buttons" on an XD is the mag release. If one chose an external safety model I suppose the external safety could get flipped (I haven't yet seen one in person). Besides that there is nothing to get mashed to change the state of the pistol

I understand your conclusion and as it is merely a matter of preference I have no disagreement to make. I was just confused as to the 3 above matters.
trink39.gif

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah I also do not believe the XD comes in a single stack anything…
I have the original XD.40, I think it is a very good gun, if I ever have to use it on a BG I know it will function flawlessly. I don’t think I will get the XD with the manual safety at all, because from what I see of the safety it looks like it could be a possibility of my thumb slipping off of it when I try to disengage it, unlike that of a 1911. If I get another XD one it will be the NEW XD.40 with 16+1 founds of .40 cal. The all new XD(M).

As for the Glocks, I hear they are good pistols, but there are those who love the Glock and there are those who hate that Glock, I am one who hate Glocks. I have fired the glock .40cal and for one it hurts my hand when I fire it. They may be very good pistols, but they are just not for me.

I heard that the older Kimber are better than the II generation Kimbers, but I tend to stay way from used guns for the most part, I do not know what the person before may have don’t to it.

As for carrying I now carry a full-size 1911 Springfield Mil Spec. It's not to heavy, and the size is nothing to me, If I can CC a 3inch barrel, I can CC a 5 inch barrel, where CC tends to be compromised is the grip of the pistol. Also I rather carry a full size because of accuracy and muzzle velocity, that it has over a sub or a compact. The P-10 I owned is my first handgun that I ever owned, and it CC very well, no problems, but for the full size double stack I think could take more of an effort to CC.

Yes, I am looking for a reliable, accurate, durable, and nice looking OC pistol with double stack .45ACP and we call know here are times when CC is a must, That’s what I am considering when I buy my next pistol.

I now own the XD, I will OC that and my Springfield 1911, but I really want a 1911 double stack, just incase there are multiple attackers, having more .45ACP from a 1911 would be ideal to me. Not that I expect to fight multiple attackers, but we carry for the just in case, so I feel I need more rounds for just in case.

Yes on my 10mm I did add a buffer for the recoil, if anything it just gave me a piece of mind when shooting it. I am really torn between what firearm to buy next. I even looked at the HK 45, but with that new ring on the barrel I see it having to be changed out on a regularly, that means extra time and money.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
I did get the chance to read that thread, and responded on page 2 or so. I plan on buying the spring and a bumper for the G21. It's really a nasty recoil for such a large frame, even when fully loaded. I'm thinking of doing the same for the Para once I find out how well the modifiedG21 works.
Bumper? Never heard of that, but I'm interested in anything that may be able to let me double tap my 21SF.