• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video: NH Cop questions RidleyReport for photographing police cars

nh92d

imported post

like i commented at youtube..

awesome that he didn't mention or look down at your gun while talking to you.

i'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for the next open carry event.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Did anyone else get the impression that a less well informed citizen would have resulted in the officer coming on stronger and stronger? His demeanor seemed to get more "officer friendly-ish" as Dave matter of factly and confidently described the events.
That plus the absolute avoidance of discussion about OC made me picture him on the radio to his buddies first saying " oh this is bulls@#$ - now the taping me!? I'm gonna go talk to this a$$h***"

NYNRA

I believe most of us would question someone who was videotaping us in public. I dont have a problem with the officer asking about it. One day a person took a picture of my house. I followed that person and asked why they did that. It turns out it was a real estate agent working on appraisals in the neighborhood. Im glad I followed the person and asked the question. I can't fault anyone for doing the same.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I believe most of us would question someone who was videotaping us in public. I dont have a problem with the officer asking about it. One day a person took a picture of my house. I followed that person and asked why they did that. It turns out it was a real estate agent working on appraisals in the neighborhood. Im glad I followed the person and asked the question. I can't fault anyone for doing the same.

True enough.

While it is mostly conjecture, we've all observed here, and some of us personally, that cops behave very differently when they are being recorded.

Especially when they don't know it.

NewHampshireNative

The sad fact of the matter is in today's day and age as soon as you leave your house someone has the right to photograph and or video tape you. Big brother being the biggest stalker of all time! Some places you cant even walk down the street with out seeing "the mans" CCTV's recording you as you go about your day. But seeing as how police officers are "public servants" they have ZERO expectation of privacy the minute the uniform goes on. What gets me is they have no problem recording Citizen X openly or with hidden cameras and we just have to take it or risk a taser or night stick to the body. But the second the tables are turned and it's them on the other end of the lenses they revert to the grade school temper tantrum! Why are you filming me? I gave you no right to film me!! Officer your a public servant and I'm filming you on public property! Turn the camera off! When that fails to work because they know your right and have every right to film them. They turn into the school yard bully and try and intimidate you with do it "OR ELSE". The classic line is "leave now or I'm going to take you to jail". It's really kinda sad that most police officers chose to batter and assault their employers the tax payers!!

nhoc

Recently I've read some things which confuse this arguement a little. It was always my understanding that filming (audio / video) anyone in a public place doing a public thing (short of a place which is to expected to be private [restroom]) was perfectly within the law and my rights regardless of how the person being filmed feels about it. About a month ago a man in Portsmouth was arrested for videotapping police respond to a 4th of July party(lol, of all dates) under wiretapping laws.

To the best of my knowledge there isnt any legislation in NH that explicitly states we CAN record police but it looks like there may be unintended use of new legislation which may prohibit it without explicit concent of them.

Anyone else aware of this case (and others around the country) have some input on where filming police may stand? Sounds to me like we need some clear legislation on the subject.

-=NH/oc