• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEFTISTS GETTING USSC MAD: GOOD FOR FREEDOM

OmSigDAVID

imported post

From the Washington Times:

The District government appears to be headed for disaster as it prepares to craft policies to regulate handgun registration and licensing in response to the Supreme Court's decision declaring unconstitutional the city's absolute ban.

A hearing last week clearly showed that most members on the D.C. City Council want regulations tailored to discourage, to the point of infringement, the ownership of guns. That isn't surprising considering the handgun ban lasted 32 years, but the city's legislative body should get used to the new limits. Any regulations they pass will likely be the subject of a court action if they go too far.

Council members also want to look at a requirement that all handguns undergo a ballistic imprint or gun fingerprinting with the intent of helping solve gun crimes. There is already evidence that this is ineffective.

The Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division, in January 2005, issued a report on that state's gun fingerprint policy calling for its termination. "There have been no crime investigations that have been enhanced or expedited through the use of [Maryland Integrated Ballistics Identification System] MD-IBIS," the report said. "The program simply has not met the expectations and does not aid in the Mission statement of the Department of State Police." It would be foolish for the city to waste the more than $2.5 million our neighbors did on this system."

I suspect that the D.C. governmentgetting the USSC mad at themcan be GOOD for freedom loving gun owners.

David

compmanio365

imported post

I would ask who has the power to remove DC officials from office, as this may be what it takes to get DC to recognize the Supreme Court ruling.....not just in DC but elsewhere, as other areas that have similar laws preventing people from exercising their 2A rights are basically either ignoring or making up excuses as to why the ruling does not affect them. It will take a major shift in leadership to get this situation totally resolved. And these places will be better for it......

OmSigDAVID

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I would ask who has the power to remove DC officials from office, as this may be what it takes to get DC to recognize the Supreme Court ruling.....not just in DC but elsewhere, as other areas that have similar laws preventing people from exercising their 2A rights are basically either ignoring or making up excuses as to why the ruling does not affect them. It will take a major shift in leadership to get this situation totally resolved. And these places will be better for it......

Is this of any help ?

UNITED STATES CODE TITLE 18

CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE PART I

CRIMES CHAPTER 13 - CIVIL RIGHTS

§§ 241. Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten,

or intimidate any inhabitant of any State, ...or District

in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right

or privilege secured to him by

the Constitution or laws of the United States,

. . . [/b]

They shall be fined not more than $10,000

or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both;

and if death results, they shall be subject to imprisonment

for any term of years or for life.

§§ 242. Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute,

ordinance, regulation, or custom,

willfully subjects any inhabitant of any State,

Territory, or District to the deprivation of any rights,

privileges, or immunities secured or protected

by the Constitution or laws of the United States, . . .[/b]

shall be fined not more than $1,000

or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;

and if bodily injury results shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both;

and if death results shall be subject to imprisonment for any term of years or for life.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We can only hope that their continued, willful infringement and apparent disregard for the Heller decision leads to an immediate smack down from a court.

JosephMingle

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
We can only hope that their continued, willful infringement and apparent disregard for the Heller decision leads to an immediate smack down from a court.

That would be entertaining. But I submit that it would be even better if the residents of DC would show the local government the door and elect people more cognizant of the inalienable rights of citizens as detailed in our beloved Constitution. Of course after 32 years of infringement I can't imagine anything so appropriate happening.

Thankfully they are not represented at the national level of politics.

grishnav

imported post

Is USSC supposed to mean "United States Supreme Court"??

If so, they are usually referred to as SCOTUS - [The] Supreme Court of the United States.

/Really, I'm confused. :?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

grishnav wrote:

If so, they are usually referred to as SCOTUS - [The] Supreme Court of the United States.

Yeah, I thought it was some college until I read the post.

OmSigDAVID

imported post

grishnav wrote:

Too long; too many letters.

does not matter what " they are usually referred to as "

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Even if you are an incredibly slow typist (20 words per minute), the average English word is 4.5 letters, which translates to 90 Characters per minute. 2 extra letters accounts for a whole 1.5 seconds that you can spend to make your thread title more understandable.

Yes, you can make up your own acronyms, but it only leads to confusion, misunderstandings, and gives off an appearance of being uneducated. All for the sake of saving 1.5 seconds?

OmSigDAVID

imported post

asforme wrote:
Even if you are an incredibly slow typist (20 words per minute), the average English word is 4.5 letters, which translates to 90 Characters per minute. 2 extra letters accounts for a whole 1.5 seconds that you can spend to make your thread title more understandable.

Yes, you can make up your own acronyms, but it only leads to confusion, misunderstandings, and
gives off an appearance of being uneducated. All for the sake of saving 1.5 seconds?

I don 't feel a need of giving off an appearance of being educated (tho I was a trial attorney for over 20 years).

There is no logical reason against reducing the US Supreme Court to its initials.

When I was in law school, the federal jurisprudenceprofessor never told me that I have to say "SCOTUS".

David

Prophet

imported post

OmSigDAVID wrote:
asforme wrote:

Yes, you can make up your own acronyms, but it only leads to confusion, misunderstandings, and
gives off an appearance of being uneducated. All for the sake of saving 1.5 seconds?

I don 't feel a need of giving off an appearance of being educated (tho I was a trial attorney for over 20 years).

There is no logical reason against reducing the US Supreme Court to its initials.

When I was in law school, the federal jurisprudenceprofessor never told me that I have to say "SCOTUS".

David
True...but if i start using supco and expect people to understand that it is the abbreviated form of Supreme court and not a gas station, i would be fooling myself. The vernacular of this board lends itself to SCOTUS being the common usage and as such is better than just any ole willy nilly term you would like to use. 20 years of law and all aside, this isnt so much law related as it is sociology related in regards to the lexicon a group of individuals have assigned meaning too.

Flyer22

imported post

"Supreme Court of the United States" is commonly abbreviated as"SCOTUS" for the same reason "President of the United States" is commonly abbreviated as "POTUS" and "First Lady of the United States" is abbreviated "FLOTUS," although that one is not as common. Seethe followingstory for more information on this form of usage.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9805E6DC1F3DF931A25753C1A961958260

rodbender

imported post

Chill out guys, it's only an acronym. Who really cares as long as you can figure it out without wasting too much brain power.You can call 'em MIB (Men In Black)for all I care. It appears that about half of 'em are morons, or leftist activist,anyway.

grishnav

imported post

I didn't mean to start a big ol' debate, I was just honestly confused. :(

To the OP: Would you consider using SCOTUS in the future -- at least around here -- to save us the confusion? :)

thorvaldr

imported post

Hopefully they'll get the TSAFTC (Thorvalds Silly Acronym For The Congress) mad at them. Rep Souter has introduced bills (HR 1331 and 1399) to slap down all of DC's gun laws.

Toymaker

imported post

We must remember that the Federal District Court hasn't issuedthe injunction yet that will order DC to stop enforcing the gun ban.The district court willdecide exactly how the injunctionwill be phrased. DC's arrogance could very well work against them.

murphy2

imported post

DC. will probably give in to the law. But Iimagine, as history has showed us. The mayor and council will say "let them eat cake". Watch all the city functions go to hell in a hand basket. May not be a bad thing. But they'll use it to prove there ideology. This is good news otherwise and a good step in the right direction.