Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -Cop's Kid Shoots him in back, Cop Sues Gun Maker!

Post imported post

Officer hurt in accidental shooting sues gun maker
    --The Associated Press
    --Article Launched: 07/09/2008 10:39:23 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—An off-duty Los Angeles police officer who was paralyzed after his young son accidentally shot him in 2006 filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the manufacturer of the gun involved in the accident.

Enrique Chavez of Anaheim was shot in the back by his 3-year-old son after the boy grabbed his father’s Glock 21—a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol—from the back seat of his pickup truck................."

-Source
    http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_9...nclick_check=1

COMMENT: What about the father’s responsibility to secure his weapon?

Post imported post

You really can't go turning your back on a 3 year old.

Post imported post

so true, kids like to put their hands on everything. what amazes me is that he wants to sue the gun maker! i wonder if someone put him up to that.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

He can certainly try to sue, but he won't have much of a case. By virtue of the fact that the gun fired when the trigger was pulled proves that it operated as designed and this means it was without flaw (faultless). Yes, he will argue that there were no external operator-controllable safeties, but that is not the way in which the weapon was designed. He will loose.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

It's sad, BUT-

It's a classic case of someone who's around guns all the time getting a little too complacent.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Another cop gone to the Dark Side. Unfortunately it is a short trip for some.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Post imported post

Larry the Cable Guy might not be the best, or most intelligent man, but he defintely hits the nail on the head with this quote,
    The gun was just sitting there! If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil!

Post imported post

So now holsters are responsible for shootings? Better keep all 0f mine locked up.

Why didn't he also sue his wife for having a child and the truck maker ?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
    'The truck maker,' for them having a child? Eewww, TMI!

Post imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
    So now holsters are responsible for shootings? Better keep all 0f mine locked up.

hm... good thinking...might not be such a bad idea :quirky

There is something seriously wrong with this guy. I feel bad for the kid...

Post imported post

wow.....

just wow......

Banned

Post imported post

send him to mexico

Post imported post

We had a similar (wrongful suing of a manufacturer for self-stupidity) situation here in Springfield, Oregon with a riding lawn mower...

A guy bought a new John Deere ridinglawn mower, that has a built in safety feature that disconnects the blades when you put it in reverse. The owner's guide gives specific instructions of how and why the safety feature is there, as well as recommendations of NOT disabling the device, especially if you have children around. It also states to not allow children in the yard while mowing, and to make sure you look well behind you when backing up the mower...

The guy disabled the device and ended up backing the mower over his 2 year old daughter, severing her leg at the hip.

The father has sued John Deere BECAUSE they designed it with an override function for the safety device. He also names the local dealer because they did not "adequately instruct" him on the safe operation of the mower.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...t.632603a.html

Talk about lack of taking responsibility for your own screw ups! RTFM!Warnings are not JUST there to protect against lawsuits. If you choose to disregard the warnings in the manual, expect trouble!

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but a Glock manual I found online says on the FIRST PAGE:

"Any firearm, including the GLOCK pistols, is a dangerous weapon, it must not become accessible to unauthorized persons, especially children"

Although it's a sad thing when your mistake causes serious injury, trying to win the lawsuit lottery because of YOUR mistake is total BS, expecially when common sense and/or manufacturers warnings warn you in advance.

...Orygunner...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yet another case of someone shuffing off responsibility to someone else. As someone said on TXCDL.org, I think he should be jailed for child endangerment.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

How come he isn't suing the miners as well?...if they never pulled the raw materials out of the ground the gun, bullets, and truck would not have been made. After all it is the miners fault not the ignorantly irresponsible person. They should have known that the product that the so recklessly pushed on the people would eventually be made into dangerous consumer goods.

Post imported post

He should sue his parents for raising him to be a pinhead.

If he loses, maybe he can sue his lawyer for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

The mind reels......

Post imported post

Dumba$$ should sue himself for being an idiot and a tool.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

How callused can you guys be? Just because someone is trying to fund his retirement fund with someone elses money. Down here in Texas it's called theft, unless an attorney is your accomplice. Reminds me of the old lady that put a hot cup of coffee on the dash of a moving vehicle, whereas it spilled on her twat and she became a multi-millionaire. Wasn't it Will Rogers that said "The thing about common sense is, it ain't too common."?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

How callused can you guys be? Just because someone is trying to fund his retirement fund with someone elses money. Down here in Texas it's called theft, unless an attorney is your accomplice. Reminds me of the old lady that put a hot cup of coffee on the dash of a moving vehicle, whereas it spilled on her twat and she became a multi-millionaire. Wasn't it Will Rogers that said "The thing about common sense is, it ain't too common."?
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Given what a jerk and a parasite this guy appears to be, you have to wonder if maybe the kid didn't do it accidentally on purpose, ya know?

Hey, I know I'm awful but somebody had to say it...

Post imported post

Why isn't he suing the bullet manufacturer, the gun didn't injure him?
    I can see the 3 yo suing for any injury to wrist from recoil design maybe.....

But unless he got clubed be the gun, it is clearly the bullets fault.
    I'm amazed that the 3 yo can aim better than LAPD who usualy take 70+ rounds
    before maybe hitting something.
    Hope they lock hiom up for child endagerment myself.
    But then again this is the state who's govenor drives drunk, without a licence
    and nothing is done.
    Robert

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    Why isn't he suing the bullet manufacturer, the gun didn't injure him?
    I can see the 3 yo suing for any injury to wrist from recoil design maybe.....

But unless he got clubed be the gun, it is clearly the bullets fault.
    I'm amazed that the 3 yo can aim better than LAPD who usualy take 70+ rounds
    before maybe hitting something.
    Hope they lock hiom up for child endagerment myself.
    But then again this is the state who's govenor drives drunk, without a licence
    and nothing is done.
    Robert
    I want to know why he's not suing the kid. He's the one that pulled the trigger. Don't make sense, huh. Pockets ain't deep enough, I suppose.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

http://www.glock.com/english/safetypack_intro.htm

I would guess he could have purchased the Safety Pack.
    GLOCK 21
    An American icon
    The “big bore” .45 caliber belongs to the United
    States like stars and stripes. Americans have
    always had a very special relationship with this
    timeless caliber. The GLOCK 21 gives you everything
    you would expect of a ..45 pistol. Countless law enforcement
    units swear by this superior pistol for more than just its
    above-average magazine capacity of 13 rounds.
    I guess he forgot about the “CLOCK Safe Action System” or he told the toddler this is a point, aim and shoot weapon. It’s a shame the kid didn’t squeeze off all 13, this guy is an idiot and was a safety violation to his kids. I sure am glad the Kid was not shot, and hope there’s no long term metal guilt as the child grows up.

I guess the GLOCK folks should counter sue him, I don’t have a 21 manual but again a guess like most firearms manuals it talks about safety!! I think he may have failed GLOCKS safety recommendations, I would also guess GLOCK has been in the firearm business longer than this dumb guy and wrote the safety procedures for a dam good reason.

I guess this dumb guy doesn’t swear by the 21 anymore. If I sound harsh, it’s because this dumb ass could have beenstanding at hischild’s funeral because of his stupidity.

Edited size.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

I agree jbone - the kid could have shot himself, or some innocent bystander outside the truck be it another child or someone else's parent. The guy is too irresponsible to have a gun or a child.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast