• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

-Cop's Kid Shoots him in back, Cop Sues Gun Maker!

Ghost1776

imported post

Officer hurt in accidental shooting sues gun maker
--The Associated Press
--Article Launched: 07/09/2008 10:39:23 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—An off-duty Los Angeles police officer who was paralyzed after his young son accidentally shot him in 2006 filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the manufacturer of the gun involved in the accident.

Enrique Chavez of Anaheim was shot in the back by his 3-year-old son after the boy grabbed his father’s Glock 21—a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol—from the back seat of his pickup truck................."

-Source
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_9834513?nclick_check=1

COMMENT: What about the father’s responsibility to secure his weapon?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

He can certainly try to sue, but he won't have much of a case. By virtue of the fact that the gun fired when the trigger was pulled proves that it operated as designed and this means it was without flaw (faultless). Yes, he will argue that there were no external operator-controllable safeties, but that is not the way in which the weapon was designed. He will loose.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So now holsters are responsible for shootings? Better keep all 0f mine locked up.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Why didn't he also sue his wife for having a child and the truck maker ?

SQLtables

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
So now holsters are responsible for shootings? Better keep all 0f mine locked up.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Why didn't he also sue his wife for having a child and the truck maker ?

hm... good thinking...might not be such a bad idea :quirky

There is something seriously wrong with this guy. I feel bad for the kid...

Orygunner

imported post

We had a similar (wrongful suing of a manufacturer for self-stupidity) situation here in Springfield, Oregon with a riding lawn mower...

A guy bought a new John Deere ridinglawn mower, that has a built in safety feature that disconnects the blades when you put it in reverse. The owner's guide gives specific instructions of how and why the safety feature is there, as well as recommendations of NOT disabling the device, especially if you have children around. It also states to not allow children in the yard while mowing, and to make sure you look well behind you when backing up the mower...

The guy disabled the device and ended up backing the mower over his 2 year old daughter, severing her leg at the hip.

The father has sued John Deere BECAUSE they designed it with an override function for the safety device. He also names the local dealer because they did not "adequately instruct" him on the safe operation of the mower.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_010908_news_lawnmower_lawsuit.632603a.html

Talk about lack of taking responsibility for your own screw ups! RTFM!Warnings are not JUST there to protect against lawsuits. If you choose to disregard the warnings in the manual, expect trouble!

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but a Glock manual I found online says on the FIRST PAGE:

"Any firearm, including the GLOCK pistols, is a dangerous weapon, it must not become accessible to unauthorized persons, especially children"

Although it's a sad thing when your mistake causes serious injury, trying to win the lawsuit lottery because of YOUR mistake is total BS, expecially when common sense and/or manufacturers warnings warn you in advance.

...:banghead:...
...Orygunner...

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yet another case of someone shuffing off responsibility to someone else. As someone said on TXCDL.org, I think he should be jailed for child endangerment.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

How come he isn't suing the miners as well?...if they never pulled the raw materials out of the ground the gun, bullets, and truck would not have been made. After all it is the miners fault not the ignorantly irresponsible person. They should have known that the product that the so recklessly pushed on the people would eventually be made into dangerous consumer goods.
:banghead:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He should sue his parents for raising him to be a pinhead.

If he loses, maybe he can sue his lawyer for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

The mind reels......

rodbender

imported post

How callused can you guys be? Just because someone is trying to fund his retirement fund with someone elses money. Down here in Texas it's called theft, unless an attorney is your accomplice. Reminds me of the old lady that put a hot cup of coffee on the dash of a moving vehicle, whereas it spilled on her twat and she became a multi-millionaire. Wasn't it Will Rogers that said "The thing about common sense is, it ain't too common."?

rodbender

imported post

How callused can you guys be? Just because someone is trying to fund his retirement fund with someone elses money. Down here in Texas it's called theft, unless an attorney is your accomplice. Reminds me of the old lady that put a hot cup of coffee on the dash of a moving vehicle, whereas it spilled on her twat and she became a multi-millionaire. Wasn't it Will Rogers that said "The thing about common sense is, it ain't too common."?