• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sporting Stores Helping the OC Cause

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Today I wend to 4 different sporting goods and gun shops looking for a double-mag pouch (Only 1 had anything gooe enough) all the while discussing when I could OC being legal.

None of them knew it was legal to do so in public in California. Several of them had heard of people doing it in other states, but not here in Cali. We should get on this and use them as a tool. Think about it, I am sure Turners sells a few handguns in a given month, and I am sure many of them might be interested in OC and the AB2062 Ammo restrictions. . so lets distribute those pamphlets and get these people motivated!

Remember that although the state allows us the LEGAL right to carry, when carrying on a persons property you are subject to their rules. If a property owner (Store manager of a Wal-Mart for example) asks you to remove the firearm you should politely inform them and as long as the conversation remains polite you may continue until you have convinced them or they state again to leave. If the conversation gets nasty, unpolite or fired up you should thank them and continue on your day. Not doing so may result in police being called and tresspassing charges.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This is a good idea. I think the best way to 'distribute' the information would be to get permission to post a copy of the flier in a conspicuous place. Then give them a stack of fliers to keep on or behind the counter. When someone sees the flier and asks, "is this for real" they got to take a copy home with them.

The advantage to gun shop owners will be increased sales. When I purchased my Sig P220, I added the following items to my shopping list:
  • mag holder (x2)
  • Blackwahk rail system accessory platform
  • Blackhawk CQC holster
  • spare mag (the gun only came with 2)
My local store didn't have any of these items in stock, and said ordering would take 2-3 weeks. They also would cost about 20% more than having them shipped from an online catalog. If demand for these items were higher, the store could keep them in stock. They wouldn't have to worry too much about price, as most people won't go looking on the internet if they can buy at their local shop. Waiting time is what kills it.

So, one selling point to the gun shop owner/management is that promoting open carry enhances a niche market that they can turn a profit on.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

this can be as simple as printing out the flyer and asking to place it next to the registers of local gun shops, MOST if not all would be happy to allow it ONCE they realize it is legal. I can also see them wanting to not only tell their customers about it BUT ALSO setting up a handgun/oc holster combo in a "special" to generate more sales.

We might even be able to get local gunshops to sponsor local oc events. I was a campaign manager for a local mayoral candidate here in Fresno and have talked with many pro gun rights shops and know they would be MORE than happy to help as long as we educate them on the law.

I never knew BEFORE this site myself and that was weeks ago at most, don't ever assume people are against the cause until you ask and most of the time they will 100% be onboard.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have already edited the 3 fold to work for LE, I can easilly edit it to work specific for gun shops.

I am actually also trying to develop a small business-card sized one that might include the number to a lawyer and other helpful services if things go wrong.

Oh, we also need to note a digital voice recorder. . . Bought mine today and a tie mic. . . Unfortunately it is designed for broadcast and it filters too much. . .

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I want to get a digital recorder that can be setup on my shoulder or chest pocket so they can SEE what it is and not get shot for turning the damn thing on. I am actually looking to paint it or put something on it so I don't get SHOT turning the damn thing on IF I get that "slowly turn around sir".

I think recording any and all issues is very important to this cause and NEEDS to be done. We can post the audio and even video on youtube as well as locally to the media and press.

These rights are OURS to enjoy and should NOT be hassled over them. We really need to keep this right in the open or it will be overlooked as something in the past.

I think the business card idea would be great + a gun shop pamphlet would be great as well. We could even do a chip in or something to send out the information to ALL gun shops in cali and see who jumps on board and who doesn't.

I can see supporting PRO OC shops ONLY being a large step in the right direction and make sure to point out those who DO NOT allow it.

Theseus wrote:
I have already edited the 3 fold to work for LE, I can easilly edit it to work specific for gun shops.

I am actually also trying to develop a small business-card sized one that might include the number to a lawyer and other helpful services if things go wrong.

Oh, we also need to note a digital voice recorder. . . Bought mine today and a tie mic. . . Unfortunately it is designed for broadcast and it filters too much. . .

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:
I want to get a digital recorder that can be setup on my shoulder or chest pocket so they can SEE what it is and not get shot for turning the damn thing on. I am actually looking to paint it or put something on it so I don't get SHOT turning the damn thing on IF I get that "slowly turn around sir".

I think recording any and all issues is very important to this cause and NEEDS to be done. We can post the audio and even video on youtube as well as locally to the media and press.

These rights are OURS to enjoy and should NOT be hassled over them. We really need to keep this right in the open or it will be overlooked as something in the past.

I think the business card idea would be great + a gun shop pamphlet would be great as well. We could even do a chip in or something to send out the information to ALL gun shops in cali and see who jumps on board and who doesn't.

I can see supporting PRO OC shops ONLY being a large step in the right direction and make sure to point out those who DO NOT allow it.

Theseus wrote:

Actually, the Voice recorder I bought has over 300 hours of recording capability and is voice activated so. . . I don't need to turn it on, it is always on, and it even notes the date the recording was taken. Cost? $40. In my pocket it seems it will pick up enough as long as it doesn't scrape, but I tried a lapel mic and it was not senitive enough to pick up my wife just a few feet away. Me it got perfectly, but yeah.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I am not sure if voice activated will work for me tbh. I can see how it could help not "going for something" while being confronted by an officer BUT can also see the point in only recording what is relevant. Just my luck the cop would take my own recording device and go through it and TRY and locate something on there to use against me.

A lapel mic however would be a great idea indeed as long as I can get it to work and record those around me.

I am still wanting to oc with others and have ONE person with a video camera to then be that 3rd party to record any issue that COULD arise as well as step outside the situation just so the cop WILL leave that person alone and focus on myself or another oc person if they so choose.

We need to protect this right WHILE protecting ourselves. Recordings are one way for that to happen and has been proven in many court cases.

Not trying to be a martyr for anyone damn it lol... BUT will keep this righ that I was born with and enjoy using it BEFORE they assume no one cares. We need to make carrying a gun as common as a cell phone (legally of course)

Theseus wrote:
Actually, the Voice recorder I bought has over 300 hours of recording capability and is voice activated so. . . I don't need to turn it on, it is always on, and it even notes the date the recording was taken. Cost? $40. In my pocket it seems it will pick up enough as long as it doesn't scrape, but I tried a lapel mic and it was not senitive enough to pick up my wife just a few feet away. Me it got perfectly, but yeah.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Although I am positive cellphone use does lead to undesired deaths it is not in the numbers of gun violence, but if it were the case, perhaps we just start lobbying for laws requiring registration for the purchase of cell phones. .

Our argument could be the same a pro-gun control. . "If this legislation saves just one child from an avoidable cellphone related death all this trouble would be worth it."

We would see just how quickly people start arguing that the "economic effect of such legislation would outweight ANY public safety benefit" and it would get shot down for being rediculous.

Oh, and here is another gem, a conversation I have the other day with a friend asking my why I had a gun.

Statement: "Having a gun doesn't gurantee your safety or that it will save your life."

Answer: "I could use that argument for a safety belt in your car. Using does not gurantee your safety or that it will save your life, but using it will greatly increase your chances of surviving. A gun is a safetly device similar to a seat belt, you are required to use your seat belt because it may save your life, why can't I have the freedom to carry my safety device against criminals?"

"

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
SNIP
When I purchased my Sig P220, I added the following items to my shopping list:
  • Blackhawk rail system accessory platform

lol

:lol:
My bad... it's actually called "rail accessory platform." The mag holders come with belt clips, but they shift around a lot. I want this platform to make them easier to carry.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah, so you use it for mags? I was imagining flashlights and other tacticool accessories. ;) :lol:

I have a double-mag holster (paddle-style):

Looks kind of bulky, but the part that actually sits outside the belt is about what you'd expect for two mags. All in all I like it. That said, I've only actually worn it once here in CA. :banghead: