• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

another wa guy comming through oregon

uncoolperson

imported post

since i don't have an oregon CHL, unloaded in the trunk (if my rental has a trunk), or in disassembled in luggage okay in your state?

also, any full auto ranges around portland that would let me show up, rent a rifle and blow off a few rounds for a modest price? (or people here for that matter?).

i've been in washington too long, and it's been waay too long.

Thanks

grishnav

imported post

Open carry OK in Oregon without a permit, including in your car, except for 8 cities that ban it:

Portland
Beaverton
Tigard
Independence...

and a few others I can't think of. If you search around the forum, and also oregonfirearms.org, you can find a pretty complete listing.

Just don't:

Get within 500 or 1000 feet of schools (can't remember for sure which, but it's a federal law, not an Oregon one) w/o permit

Don't go into any public buildings w/o permit

Don't go into any court, even with a permit (there is some theory that certain municipal courts are exempted; not tested)

And obviously, avoid the banned cities w/o permit.

There is an interpretation of statue that your car is private property and not subject to city ordinance banning carry, so as long as you OC in your car, you're OK, even in banned cities. This has not been tested in court, and don't expect much love from our liberal justices for at least the first level of appeals.

As for carrying in your trunk, concealed carry is banned in Oregon without a permit if the firearm is "readily accessable", loaded or otherwise. You're probably Ok even not disassembling it, so long as it's not readily accessable. I know some people that lock them in glove boxes under the theory that they'd have to remove their key from the ignition to get to it. I'm not aware of this being tested, but they haven't had any problems.

Good luck.

Orygunner

imported post

Grishnav has it right, you don't have to lock it in the truck or disassemble it, but you sure can if you want to or just feel more comfortable that way.

You should be fine open carrying it in a belt holster, even in a vehicle.ORS 166.250 says it's not considered concealed.

Oregon has Preemption (ORS 166.170), so no other government entity in the state can make ANY firearms laws regulating transfer, posession, carrying, use, etc. except the State Legislature. With the exceptions of where they may be discharged, andcities and counties can regulate where loaded firearms can be carried in public places (ORS 166.173)

The complete (known) cities to ban loaded carry of firearms in public (without a CHL)is:

Dallas
Beaverton
Oregon City
Bend (just parks)
Independence
Salem
Tigard
Portland

As far as locking it in the glove box, it's what I always did picking up the kids from school. I would stop outside school property, unload it, and lock it in the glove box with the key. That way it's "unloaded and locked in a vehicle" as required by ORS 166.370 and in my opinion not "readily accessable" (so thereby not concealed as defined by ORS 166.250), so I don't believeI violated state law. Federal law may be another matter, but I haven't seen any federal LEOs around my kids' schools yet! ;) (My CHL should be in my mailbox any day now! :D )

I don't know about any "full auto" ranges around Portland, but in Eugene, there's Baron's Den. I still haven't made it there to check it out, but they advertise you can rent and shoot a real tommy gun on full-auto. http://www.thebaronsden.com/

References: ORS 166.170, 166.173, 166.250, 166.370
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

...Orygunner...

Cremator75

imported post

As far as locking it in the glove box, it's what I always did picking up the kids from school. I would stop outside school property, unload it, and lock it in the glove box with the key. That way it's "unloaded and locked in a vehicle" as required by ORS 166.370 and in my opinion not "readily accessable" (so thereby not concealed as defined by ORS 166.250), so I don't believeI violated state law. Federal law may be another matter, but I haven't seen any federal LEOs around my kids' schools yet! ;) (My CHL should be in my mailbox any day now! :D )
The CHL exempts this school ban doesn't it? I thought you could even OC in a school with a CHL, not that I would just to save me some trouble. I have CC'd in my daughters school, with my CHL of course.

Orygunner

imported post

Yes, an Oregon CHL exempts you from federal and state restrictions on carrying firearms in a school or on school property. I started open carrying a few weeks before the end of the school year, and only applied for my CHL a few weeks ago. It should be here any time now :)

With my CHL, I COULD legally carry into my kids' school, but I don't plan on trying it. I'm not willing to cause THAT much of a panic...

...But I will carry concealed...
...Orygunner...