• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just got asked to leave subway for OCing

Glockguy

imported post

Soo Me and my Fiance Went into Subway this evening, and i was OCing.. and i wasnt in there for more then 30 seconds.. and a worker... who was older id say 35-40 called me over to the counter and asked if i had a permit for the gun and i said yes... and hes said that their store Policy was No weapons.. soo i asked if hed like me to take it off.. he siad yes cause the customers didnt like it.. im like uhh no one even looked at me but ok... Soo my Girl went and looked at the enterence and there nothin that said anythin about Weapons... Soo was I right for taking it off? Iv OCed all weekend... into tacobell... Fredmyers... safeway... and no ones said anything... but nooo subway has a no weapons policy lol.... hmmmmm

And this was In albany OR

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I would have to say it depends...

It is private property and they do have the right todeny you access. You might consider speaking to a manager or owner and get the skinny on the offical policy.

If they don't want your business because you OC, I am sure you can find others who'd be happy to take your money.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You did the right thing by leaving if asked. You could have pessed it more by asking to see the written polcy. Also you could have asked for the district manager's phone number to confirm this. Alot of times I've read that it turns out that it has nothing to do with an actual policy, but merely their own opinion. If you find out for sure what the policy is, make sure they educate their workers. I do know that all subways a franchises - not sure how this could be corporate policy.

I find it funny that people ask if you have a permit for 'that gun'. That just means that they don't know anything about the laws.

Dannny L

imported post

That I find kind of strange. Why ask you if you have a permit if they were going to ask you to leave anyway with or without a permit.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

usually the guys and gals on duty THINK they know the law or what the owner MIGHT think but most times if you got the real skinny from the owner most would rather you spend money at THEIR establishment with or without a gun then somewhere else.

It makes sense NOT to raise a fuss BUT you could have asked the person if he was the manager and if NOT if you could have his or her number or THEIR bosses number since you saw no real sign or posting stating the bullshit the guy tried to dish out.

We WILL make this normal in the states whether they want it or not, if places don't want us to oc then enjoy losing our money BUT that only works IF you alert the owner to your decision because if you make your point to someone who is NOT in control but just playing a power role it would be pointless.

Get the owners number and contact him or her and see what the real deal is. Keep us posted.

grishnav

imported post

I've OCd into lots of Subway's without issue. I used to know some people that worked at one, and they knew of no corporate policy. Doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one, but if I were you, I would make some efforts to (respectfully) contact management and clarify.

If indeed they don't want our business, we'll add them to the DNP (which we really need to get started for Oregon... working on THAT project too :)

Orygunner

imported post

Yeah, Glockguy, definitely contact the owner, and get clarification.

I haven't been asked to leave anywhere yet, but I think I'm prepared:

If asked: "Do you have a permit/license for that?" I'll say "You don't have to have a permit or license to own or openly carry a firearm in Oregon!" (One of those public education moments.)

If asked to either leave or remove the firearm, at this point I will start my voice recorder and inform them that I am recording our conversation (as required by Oregon state law ;) ) and ask them to repeat the request.

My first question will be: "Are you the person in charge?" If their response is no, I'll ask to speak to the person in charge.

If the person in charge is not available, I'll tell them "For the order to leave to be legal,Oregon law requires a 'person in charge' to ask me to leave."

If they are the person in charge, I'll first ask them why.

If they say "other customers have complained" or "it's making other people nervous", I'll inform them that I am a law-abiding person, just exercising my right to carry a firearm for personal protection. I'll ask if I may just conceal it and still stay. If that's acceptable, I may try to engage in a little discussion about open carry :) but otherwise go about my business.

If they say it's company policy, and/or still insist on my taking it out to my car, I'll ask them if they are going to be responsible for everyone's personal protection while in their place of business. I would expect this answer to be "No." Then I will ask them, "if you are not going to be responsible for my protection, and you have no guarantee of my safety, wouldn't it be a poor choice for me to give up my right of self-defense?"

This could go about anywhere at this point, but my goal is to push it as far as I feel is reasonable and give them enough information for them to re-think their position. I'm not going to stand there toe-to-toe and argue, but if I feel the conversation is getting somewhere I'll press on. If they still insist I leave, I will, but I'll make it clear that I will be contacting the owner/corporate with a complaint, andthe recording of our conversation.

If it IS the owner I am talking to, it's not a corporate chain store, and it's obvious i'm getting nowhere :banghead:I will let them know that I will not be back into their store. In addition,I will advise him that I will do everything possible to let gun owners in the community know that this business cares nothing about people's right to self-defense, including publishing our conversation on the internet :lol:.

References: Criminal Trespass definitions & Statutes are ORS 164.205, 164.245, and 164.265 http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/164.html

...Orygunner...

Czechnology

imported post

I'm a Virginian moving to PDX in a few weeks, and I've had a couple incidents open carrying where a store manager has approached me and asked to see my permit. I smiled and kept my hands in front of me and calmly informed them that there was no such thing, and then educated them on VA's hangun laws. I had one guy go "Oh. You think I could do that too?", and one woman say "Oh, ok. I guess if you were up to no good you'd be hiding it, right?"

I've been lucky so far to have met generally levelheaded managers, but I'm expecting that to change in OR. I'll be getting a CHL asap once I'm there and have a Driver's License.

Orygunner

imported post

C'mon out, Chechnology!

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about store managers being negative on open carry out here in Oregon, So far in two months I've had 0 bad experiences, but then, this is Eugene/Springfield, not Portland. Of course, I haven't read too many negative stories from the Portland area, either...

Note that some people may tell you that you have to live in the county six months before getting your CHL, it is NOT TRUE. That applies to legal resident aliens that are notUSCitizens. You can apply with the Sheriff's office as soon as you move into the County. All you need is $65 and any of the documents that demonstrate "competence with a handgun" (like a class certificate or military training card).

You especially need to get your CHL if you're going to open carry around Portland. they have prohibited loaded carry of loaded firearms (the only thing the Legislature has allowed local governments to control due to pre-emption.

For great Oregon firearms information, check out Kevin Starrett's site for the Oregon Firearms Federation, http://oregonfirearms.org. the FAQ is great.

...Orygunner...

Czechnology

imported post

Thank you for the link! I was hoping Oregon had something similar to the VCDL, and it looks like there is. I've been reading up, and it appears I'm somewhat spoiled in VA w/ regard to Open Carry.

For the CHL, I've got my hunter safety certificate around somewhere. (That worked here, will it also there?) I suppose since OR doesn't recognize other states' CHLs, it would be dumb to assume a current VA CHL would serve as proof of competence, yeah?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to the move!

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Training requirements:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

This can be found here:

http://landru.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

You can also visit:

http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=license_seng&link_item_id=14705

Ken

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

if you have a permit from another state like you can use that. i used my wash permit to get my oregon permit with classes ever and that makes me smile

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes you can get an Oregon permit. It's supposed to be at the sheriff's discretion though. Having a good 'reason' helps out a ton. Like family or business travel.I've heard that Umatilla county is the moreforgiving counties for getting approved for an out of state.

There was a recent thread started by Lonnie regarding getting your Oregon permit.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/13469.html

Ken

neddis

imported post

I just turned in my paperwork for CHL in Umatilla county (I am a resident though) and the Sheriff Civil Division employees are really friendly and supportive of gun rights. There was even a comment made that gun laws only really impact law abiding citizens because criminals don't pay attention to them anyway. WE all know that's true, but it's good to hear that someone with some authority believes it too. :) Anyway, I can vouch for the Umatilla County Sheriff's Office being friendly and supportive - at least they were when I went in.

CaptainAttila

imported post

I dropped in on the Umatilla Sheriff's office Jul 24th to submit my application and can vouch for them being great folks. (I can also highly recommend lunch at Hamley's down the street! Mmmm.)

GlockPDX

imported post

Clackamas county is done through the Public Safety Training Center and is handled by a civilian employee. She was pretty nice though. I didn't stick around too long but I wouldn't mind going back soon for some range time. It looks like a pretty decent place. and cheaper than some of the ranges (The Place to Shoot range fee is WAY overpriced.)

Glockguy

imported post

Turns out that My G/F's Friend manages both the subways here and they have no policy against OCing in there... or weapons at all.... Turns out she ended up firing the guy lol oooops sucks for him

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Turns out that My G/F's Friend manages both the subways here and they have no policy against OCing in there... or weapons at all.... Turns out she ended up firing the guy lol oooops sucks for him
Instant Karma. (It's gunna get you! :uhoh:)