• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We don't need no steenking permission

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Venator wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
I think it's a matter of being polite and getting the law on your side FIRST instead of waiting for something to happen.

I know people do not like to hear "you're just looking for trouble" but it seems to me that by going as a GROUP into any place that's not used to seeing large numbers of firearms, without at least giving warning before hand (which is not the same as asking permission), that's exactly what you're doing. Dickson City shouldn't have happened, but because it did I'd be even more wary of an OC dinner because now people are watching for us.

I've got reservations about OC, so I am probably biased, but hear me out. If you go about your business alone, OC'ing, you are far less threatening than if you are in a group. That's a huge issue in the eyes of someone who is afraid or uncertain around an OC'er. In the eyes of someone like that, one person is something to avoid but a group is something to call the cops on. All the average person hears about guns is that they are used by gangs. You might look like the cleanest, neatest dressed, most polite "gang" out there, but you are armed and in a group and a person who has never met with that situation before may panic and make really stupid accusations about your motives.

Second: In most areas, activism in groups is encouraged or required to have permission. What we are doing with OC is definitely activism, and OC groups doubly so. If you expected to go hand out flyers in a restaurant in a large group, or stand outside the public library waving signs, participate in a group march, or most other activist activities, wouldn't you call ahead to let people know you would be there? It's not a matter of being a second-class citizen, it's simply being polite to the people who will have to deal with you (and with anyone who wants to start fights with you).

Finally, I'd feel really horrible taking advantage of the kindness of a restaurant or other gathering place by assuming that just because they tolerated me (or even if they openly supported me), they would also tolerate a large group of people like me. There is no guarantee that restaraunt owners will be agreeable to OC groups in their establishment no matter how friendly they are to a single man or a family. They may have plenty of reasons for this, too, including liability issues and not knowing whether one of their servers will flip out and call the cops. I'd gladly give up a dinner at my favorite restaurant while in an OC group if it meant that we avoided another Dickson City.

If you don't feel like asking permission for a gathering, or feel like the expectation is wrong, then by all means continue without permission; I don't think it's wrong, just impolite and more likely to get you into confrontations that my instinct would be to avoid. I would simply feel far more comfortable knowing that the servers and staff were on our side, at the very least because servers could then quiet down patrons before anyone whipped out their cell phones. As great as OC is for spreading word of our cause, I think it's also important to make it look like we have someone other than ourselves on our side, and places openly hosting OC gatherings instead of being targets for them would be a good start.

*prepares for argument*
Poppycock!
No argument sir, just the facts - that means no opinions or feelings.

First I have been OCing for more years than many on this site of lived on this earth.
I OC a vast majority of the time 24/7 and dine with large and small goups of fellow OCers regularly. Do we just march in enmasse and take over a section of the establishment - no! Do we make recommendations as to places that one or two of us have eaten before while OCing - yes. No I ask permission first - absolutely not.

Now to address some points with facts (not opinion or feelings):

getting the law on your side FIRST - the law is already on my side! I cannot and will not attempt to educate in advance each and every LEO I might happen to meet.

Dickson City shouldn't have happened - the problem did not lie with the restaurant or staff but with the manner in which it was handled by LE. I will not debate this beyond this statement until after all law suits related are over. Bluntly though, sir, you do not know of what you speak.

but a group is something to call the cops on - let's substitute motor cycle riders or people in Arab clothing (see the fallacy)for other citizens doing nothing wrong except in the imagination of a very few. Yes I said a very few. In the many, many dinners I have attended, their has never once been a problem! Actually major problems are extremely rare but do admittedly garner a lot of press.

required to have permission - decided not true in Virginia. To have a parade or picket or have speeches and hold banners may require a permit or permission under some circumstances but not to eat as a group, have a picnic or hold a public or private meeting especially while maintaining good order.

participate in a group march, or most other activist activities, wouldn't you call ahead to let people know you would be there? - most definitely not! When meeting with public active activism (Lobby Day at our General Assembly, gathering at MMM demonstrations etc) it would be counter productive/bad tatics to forwarn/forarm the opposition.

feel really horrible taking advantage of the kindness of a restaurant - kindness? They are operating a business and we are spending 200-300-400 or more dollars there! Do you really think that an owner or manager is being "kind" to you when he gives you"permission" to spend your money there? :shock:

I'd gladly give up a dinner at my favorite restaurant while in an OC group if it meant that we avoided another Dickson City. Only through this type of reaction (though it was not of their choosing) will some wrongs be corrected. The very best way to avoid conflict in life is to do nothing. I am tired of political correctness, attempts to make everybody happy and of "if it only saves one" at the expense of many.

just impolite - Sir, I admit that I take umbrage at your inference that I am impolite for not doing so. I sincerely doubt that there is anyone more deeply commited to furthering this cause in the State of Virginia than I am nor anyone more polite - granted others may spend more time and/or be more effective than I.

more likely to get you into confrontations - you mean like OK Corral, and Dodge City et al predictions. In other words, if we don't conduct ourselves by someone else's standards we'll get into trouble.....PLEASE! This is from the playbook of the MMM.

I fear that if many had your "tip-toe" approach we will be asking the National Police for permission to eat out on alternate Tuesdays only and then sans our defensive tools. Sincerely, I am not trying to be insulting but you must grant me one small opinion.

Question sir - are you planning on attending the multi-state meet-up or do you just want to be sure that everything has been done to assure the comfort of others. I somehow doubt the former - if the latter, don't bother we are all big boys and girls.

Yata hey

PS - We cannot carry concealed in anyplace that serves alcohol for on premises consumption in Virginia. If we are to carry, it must be openly to be legal. The state and the king require it.

Edited to add Post Script

Sheriff

imported post

I think Grapeshot laid it out on the table in it's best and most correct form.

Well said, Grapeshot! :celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

And to add to my previous rebuttal -

Paraphrasing Col. Jeff Cooper -

No, I not go looking for trouble but should it unavoidably find me, it is my sincerest wish that it should find considerably more of it than it was seeking.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Aran wrote:
Only one minor (major?) correction though - Pegasus is female, so it'd be ma'am, not sir. :p
Sir = seriously induced rancor, also exaggerated politness that a Sgt might use when addressing a shavetail Lt. w/elevated ideas as to the value of his opinions. For me, ma'am denotes respect for position or age. Occasionally I use "sir" with equal sarcastic impunity thus avoid even the appearance of a personal attack on the individual. Yes I also utilize "sir" as a form of respect. Which applies in a given instance? Good question but one that shall go unanswered.:)

To those that think a multi-state meet up of a couple of dozen would be a "large group" warranting advance notice of who and what we are: our Richmond OC dinners frequently have 1 1/2 dozen in attendance, VCDL meetings with 30-40+ people often have nearly 2 doz. gathering to eat afterwards. A really "large group" would be like the recent VCDL picnic with about 200+ showing up. To the best of my knowledge neither did we state in advance that we would be OCing nor did we contact LE in any preceeding instance.

I would sincerely hope that more than 2 dozen commit to attending the meet-up in Leesburg, Va. In fact I fully expect that will be the case and we shall have to adapt if that becomes apparent.

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

I apologize if this has already been stated, because I haven't read the whole thread yet.

I think, more than anything, it's a practical matter.

If you should up somewhere and get kicked out, you now have to:

1. Find an alternate venue that
2. Is agreeable to the group and
3. Can accommodate you, as well as
4. Figure out transportation for anyone that arrived by bus/train etc., and
5. Notify anybody attending who hasn't show up yet
6. who may be out of cell range, or
7. Risk them being arrested because they already "told the guys with the guns to leave," and your late straggler is now presumed a trespasser because he "hung around anyway"...

From an organizing prospective, finding a "safe" place is a matter of logistics and convenience more than anything else. Asking if they'll take your gun group is no different than asking if they can handle your group of 200 people. Some restaurants simply won't be able to accommodate your request, for whatever reason, and knowing that fact before hand saves a lot of hassle. It's not about making yourself a second class citizen any more than finding out if a place is accessible by bus/wheelchair makes them second class, or finding out of the place can accommodate 200 people makes the whole group "second class" when they then say, "Oh, we only have room for about 50 here..."

Can't speculate about why people are asking police departments for permission, though... That's just wrong.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I agree with grishnav.

(I was waiting for someone to post with something I agree with, as I have a horrible tendency to completely miss the mark on what I mean to say)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

grishnav wrote:
I apologize if this has already been stated, because I haven't read the whole thread yet.

7. Risk them being arrested because they already "told the guys with the guns to leave," and your late straggler is now presumed a trespasser because he "hung around anyway"...

From an organizing prospective, finding a "safe" place is a matter of logistics and convenience more than anything else. Asking if they'll take your gun group is no different than asking if they can handle your group of 200 people. Some restaurants simply won't be able to accommodate your request, for whatever reason, and knowing that fact before hand saves a lot of hassle. It's not about making yourself a second class citizen any more than finding out if a place is accessible by bus/wheelchair makes them second class, or finding out of the place can accommodate 200 people makes the whole group "second class" when they then say, "Oh, we only have room for about 50 here..."

Can't speculate about why people are asking police departments for permission, though... That's just wrong.
Why do some people think that we are blindly jumping into unchartered waters?
Of course we check out/test the reception to OCing. Of course we inquire and politely make reservations for the benefit of the restaurant/staff as well as for ourselves. We do not throw a dart at a restaurant map and decend like foraging ants. We do not ask if they will take our "gun group" which was the point of some posters. Yes often we have made friends of the manager or servers during previous visits.

I am also not entirely convinced that such questions have not been raised for reasons less than beneficial to us. But as I said before, we are big boys and girls - we have been there and done that.

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
grishnav wrote: Why do some people think that we are blindly jumping into unchartered waters?
Of course we check out/test the reception to OCing. Of course we inquire and politely make reservations for the benefit of the restaurant/staff as well as for ourselves. We do not throw a dart at a restaurant map and decend like foraging ants. We do not ask if they will take our "gun group" which was the point of some posters. Yes often we have made friends of the manager or servers during previous visits.
:what: Dayum. Didn't mean to offend. Sheese.

I just don't really see asking a "family restaurant" (or most any kind for that matter) if your "gun group" is Ok as being a lot different than asking, say, Ruth's Chris what the dress code is. They might want to maintain a certain atmosphere, and might consider certain things inappropriate to the atmosphere they are trying to maintain. Wrong as it may be, a family restaurant might not want guns. Wrong is it may be, Ruth's Chris might not want jeans and a T-Shirt.

Ruth's Chris might not be any more receptive to a smelly tie-die hippie-fest in their restaurant than Sunshine Pizza is to having a bunch of guns bein' toted around the children playing video games there. Showing up and seeing if they have the balls to turn you away after the fact might mean you get to eat there, but still end up patronizing an anti-firearm establishment who just happened to have a group of people on duty that day that didn't notice or care. Calling the manager before hand means you spend your bucks at a place that supports your rights. And it makes it less of a hassle as you won't get turned away at the door. In my mind, it's got nothing to do with being a second class citizen, and thinking it does seems like hyper-sensitivity (which I seem to detect just a little bit of in your reply!).

Isn't "testing the waters," as you call it, just a subtle way of asking permission?

Anyway, I don't ask for "permission" to OC into restaurants -- which I guess is what you're getting at. If I'm OCing that day, I just go in. If they wanna kick me out, fine.

If I'm organizing a group, I just find out what the decorum is. It's not a big hassle to me if I get kicked out of somewhere, but it is a big hassle to me if the group gets kicked out. In some places, they won't be receptive to OC, and it's their property right not to be. In other places (like Sunshine Pizza, as it turned out) they will be. I'll save my money for the places that are. That doesn't make me a second class citizen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

grishnav wrote:
I apologize if this has already been stated, because I haven't read the whole thread yet. You really should read it all first.

1. Find an alternate venue that Prior planning - Done that
2. Is agreeable to the group and " " Done that
3. Can accommodate you, as well as " " Done that
4. Figure out transportation for anyone that arrived by bus/train etc., and - N/A
5. Notify anybody attending who hasn't show up yet Routine
6. who may be out of cell range, or Not likely
7. Risk them being arrested because they already "told the guys with the guns to leave," and your late straggler is now presumed a trespasser because he "hung around anyway"... each person would have to be indivdually told - little to no risk

Can't speculate about why people are asking police departments for permission, though... That's just wrong. They wish to make waves, are anti-minded or simply not well informed/practical if they are well intentioned.

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
grishnav wrote:
You really should read it all first.

Yeah, I think that was my big mistake. I was essentially replying to the OP and not to the thread. Read it in that context and see if it still ticks ya off so much. :p

Oh, by the way, it's left-blocky-thing, forward-slash, queue you oh tee eeh, right-blocky-thing, to end a quoted portion. Remove the forward slash to start a new quoted portion. Like this:

Code:
[quote]
 [quote]
 Nested quoted portion
 [/quote]
quoted portion
[/quote]

response portion

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

grishnav wrote:

You offended me not in the least and my reply was not a slap but a simple declaration. We do not embark on such outings without considerable planning.

Yata hey

grishnav

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
grishnav wrote:

You offended me not in the least and my reply was not a slap but a simple declaration. We do not embark on such outings without considerable planning.

Yata hey
You'll forgive my understandable confusion, I'm sure.

For me, I just considering asking about Open Carry (or testing the waters) part of good planning. Never meant to imply that you guys didn't do that.

Friends? (Or, at least, not enemies. :D)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

grishnav wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
grishnav wrote:

Yata hey
You'll forgive my understandable confusion, I'm sure.

For me, I just considering asking about Open Carry (or testing the waters) part of good planning. Never meant to imply that you guys didn't do that.

Friends? (Or, at least, not enemies. :D)
Friends absolutely, hope that I didn't give any other impression.:D

Testing the waters, befriending mgr - good form; asking permission - bad form.

BTW - I do tend to speak my mind don't I.

Yata hey

RedKnightt

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
grishnav wrote:

Why do some people think that we are blindly jumping into unchartered waters?

I am also not entirely convinced that such questions have not been raised for reasons less than beneficial to us. But as I said before, we are big boys and girls - we have been there and done that.

Yata hey
Actually, nowhere have pro2A and Wynder (who are the people who appear to be organizing this thing) stated that they have done any of the items you speak of. I've seen no posts where they have checked out/tested the reception to OC, nor made friends with managers/staff during previous visits.

Also, once again, I will ask anyone to show me in my posts where I've said we need to ask permission of any police or sheriff's department to have our gathering. Anyone?

Grapeshot, if you are "not entirely convinced that such questions have not been raised for reasons less than beneficial to us", why haven't you asked me why I raised the questions? Was it simply safer to post a cheap shot online? I used to have a pretty large helping of respect for your opinion based on the posts of yours I've read, so I'm pretty shocked that you would make a thinly veiled accusation that I was asking these questions to try and undermine the event. If you want to know why I asked these questions, go back and read my posts in both threads. I clearly stated why. There is no hidden agenda.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Actually, nowhere have pro2A and Wynder (who are the people who appear to be organizing this thing) stated that they have done any of the items you speak of. I've seen no posts where they have checked out/tested the reception to OC, nor made friends with managers/staff during previous visits.
[/quote]
There are a number of folks who have previously OC'd at RH&B and found them to be accepting of OC. That was one of the reasons the venue was suggested. Sorry if you were not aware of that from posts in other threads.

Also, once again, I will ask anyone to show me in my posts where I've said we need to ask permission of any police or sheriff's department to have our gathering. Anyone?
I may have missed where anyone suggested such. If they did, be assured that there are several posters to this thread who are of the opinion that doing so is A Bad Thing[suP]TM[/suP].

Grapeshot, if you are "not entirely convinced that such questions have not been raised for reasons less than beneficial to us", why haven't you asked me why I raised the questions? Was it simply safer to post a cheap shot online? I used to have a pretty large helping of respect for your opinion based on the posts of yours I've read, so I'm pretty shocked that you would make a thinly veiled accusation that I was asking these questions to try and undermine the event. If you want to know why I asked these questions, go back and read my posts in both threads. I clearly stated why. There is no hidden agenda.

--RedKnightt--
Obviously I'm not Grapeshot, but we are known to appear together at times, and tend to have similar minds about most things. So - I'm asking. I've read your posts and I must be dense (you might get lots of agreement from the peanut gallery on that), so please elucidate. Why would anyone want to contact a restaurant or the local cops and ask in advance if they "were OK" withour coming to eat a meal there? Is there anything about us that makes it necessary to secure prior permission?

GRISHNAV WROTE: Ruth's Chris might not be any more receptive to a smelly tie-die hippie-fest in their restaurant than Sunshine Pizza is to having a bunch of guns bein' toted around the children playing video games there.

There is a big difference between your "smelly tie-died hippy-fest" at Ruth's Chris and "a bunch of guns bein' toted around children playing video games" at Sunshine Pizza.

Ruth's Chris has a dress code and obviously the hippies are not honoring it. FLAG ON THE PLAY!LOSS OF 10 YARDS AND LOSS OF DOWN.

Sunshine Pizza does not have any problem with us "toting guns" there because we are quiet, polite, aware of and looking out for the kids playing video games, and much more likely if they are our kids to have taught them not to go running around like little wailing banshees, disturbing the other customers. We do not want little Suzy or little Johnny to get a boo-boo on their head by bumping into out hard guns, and we certainly do nmot want to have to miss our meal because we had to take them outside to put a bandaid on and let them get theur crying done where it does not disturb the other patrons. Play completed sucessfully -at least 10 yards advanced downfield. FIRST DOWN!

Now, if we were some outlaw biker gang coming into town to wreak havoc, and I were some sort of undercover cop, I might want to call the restaurant ahead of time to "ask" if they would bve OK with our eating there, and with contacting the local law to see if they were going to be OK with us coming into town.

But the point is we are polite, law-abiding folks who want to get together for fellowship and food. That some of us openly carry, as required by state law, has nothing to do with what were are planning to do - unless you consider each and every OC outing an opportunity to expose folks not used to seeing guns except on cops to the fact that guns do not spontaneously go off on shooting sprees, and that folks who are not cops but carry guns could be good guys. Me, I consider those serindipitous outcomes. YMMV.

My personal opinion is this: If you truely feel that you must contact the restaurant and/or the local law beforehand, go ahead and do so. But stand up and say you did it. And be prepared to beresponsible for anything that may spoil what should be an uneventful day except for the joy of meeting folks we now know onlly on-line.

stay safe.

skidmark

grishnav

imported post

There is a big difference between your "smelly tie-died hippy-fest" at Ruth's Chris and "a bunch of guns bein' toted around children playing video games" at Sunshine Pizza.

What's that exactly?

Ruth's Chris has a dress code and obviously the hippies are not honoring it. FLAG ON THE PLAY!LOSS OF 10 YARDS AND LOSS OF DOWN.

A dress code is nothing more than a company policy, same as "no firearms" might be.

So if Sunshine Pizza had a no firearms policy would that be a flag on the play for us?

Sunshine Pizza does not have any problem with us "toting guns" there

You are correct. It was merely the first thing that popped into my head as an example. Substitute any business you find appropriate to help you see my point.

My personal opinion is this: If you truely feel that you must contact the restaurant and/or the local law beforehand, go ahead and do so. But stand up and say you did it. And be prepared to beresponsible for anything that may spoil what should be an uneventful day except for the joy of meeting folks we now know onlly on-line.

I don't feel the need to contact local law enforcement.

If I'm organizing an outing, and I don't know whether the establishment is OC-friendly or not, I will try to find out, possibly by calling, possibly by visiting beforehand, whatever. I think I put it wrong when I termed it "asking permission" -- it's more like "checking out their policy to avoid potential hassles." Same way I'd call Ruth's Chris and find out what the dress code is before I organized an outing there becuse I'm really not sure what they'd find acceptable.

Incidentally, I wore torn up jeans and a dirty, smelly t-shirt into Ruth's Chris, because I had no idea it was supposed to be a "nice" place -- it was just where I was heading to meet for our company dinner when I had a last minute fire to put out for a customer, thus getting all dirty and sweaty. They didn't seem to mind.