• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO breaks OC'ers driver's license in half (Ohio)

Deanimator

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
The "it's just 1%!" excuse has always been a bad cop-out (pardon the pun). For the citizen being detained, handcuffed, searched without warrant or consent, verbally harassed, physically intimidated, and possibly even threatened, it doesn't matter than 99 other cops wouldn't do the same.

For that citizen, it's 100% of the cops he's dealing with at that time. Given how seldom average citizens have contacts with LE, that could very well be 100% of their lifetime interaction with police. Nothing is "routine" about it to the citizen.

Yes, I certainly understand this.... and agree with you.

Believe it or not, after having been a sworn deputy sheriff for almost 3 decades, I have been on the receiving end of what you just mentioned above back in 1997 myself. But the other officers on the department apologized to me for the rookie being a total and absolute moron. I had to sue the rookie and his sergeant to clear my namein public. In lessening his own liability, the police chief publicly refused to admit his moron rookie had made any mistakes. He stood by the false arrest in the media. As soon as the judge set a definite jury trial date for my lawsuits against them, they were knocking on the door wanting to settle out of court, they didn't want their dirty laundry hung out for the public to see. And the sergeant on duty was eventually terminated.
I hope you didn't settle.

Sheriff

imported post

Deanimator wrote:

Yes, I did. For two reasons --

1) the attorney I had hired to represent me in the lawsuits screwed them up pretty badly by missing deadlines, and other miscellaneous screwups. I had to go out and hire a second attorney to clean up the mess she made. (IMHO, she packed up and left town after being intimidated by the cops she was suing. They told her their would never be a working relationship between the police department and her in the future since she had chosen to sue them on my behalf)

and

2) it was never about money in the first place, I wanted to clear my name in public. After my being a sworn deputy sheriff for decades at the time, and this while the rookie was still in diapers and sucking a pacifier none the less, he was trying to make the public think I was one of the bad apples out here, a bad cop. This seemed much easier to him than simply admitting he was a moron and had made a mistake.

As I said above, they offered to settle because we had the dirty laundry to hang out for all to see. Just a very few examples were --

a) my identity was confirmed 4 hours before the rookie, in swearing to the warrants,told the magistrate that he was not successful incontacting my sheriff. My sheriff and captain would have testified that the rookie was willfully and maliciously lying to the magistrate.

b)a subpoena was issued for 911 tapes to prove my sheriff had indeed identified me in a timely fashion, the tapes were then "accidentally destroyed" and could not be produced after the subpoena was acknowledged by the 911 center director. We had evidence to prove that a 911 employee was assigned to cut the tapes into pieces no longer than 1 inch. They thought we would never find out about the intentional destruction.

c) the sergeant on duty was my brother-in-law, and he knew I was a sworn deputy sheriff, he was later terminated as I said above.

d) the rookie entered my home under false pretenses presented to my wife, and searched it without probable cause or a warrant; he told my wife he had my permission to view police badge and police patch collections. Two way radios in my home belonging to me personally were confiscated, warrants were issued because they looked like police radios so they must be police raidos, and they therefore had to be stolen since they looked like official police radios. Can you say "Keystone Cops" three times real fast?

e) after the rookie realized he had made a mistake, he fabricated other charges to add to the package against me. All of them were obviously tossed out of court before trial. One such charge was 'sawed off shotgun". He later claimed he measured it wrong. Another was "burglary tools" based upon my department issued slim-jims.

f) the rookie's department attempted to coerce my sheriff into denying I was a sowrn deputy sheriff. My sheriffrefused to lie for them.

g) the rookie tolda felow officerthat my infamous arrest was going to land him a promotion that he had so desperately been seeking.

h) the day after my arrest, another local sheriff told the rookie he had made a mistake and better start cleaning it up real quick. The rookie toldthis sheriffhe was going to prosecute me and was going to get a conviction.

i) In the dark, the rookie left my 4-year-old daughter in my car with a loaded shotgun for 45 minutes on a very busy 4 lane highway. His claim was he was at all times watching her and she was never in any danger. But the reason for the traffic stop was very darkly tinted windows on my car. He could not see into the car to have had her under observation at all times. Suppose my daughter had stepped out of the car and been run over?

j) rookie was presented with a valid Virginia State Police exemption certificate for the windows. He confiscated the certificate, called it a forgery, and stated he would be placing criminal felony charges for it too. Needless to say, this blew up in his face too. But when returned to me the certificate had a big chunk torn out of it.

...... trust me,the list goes on and on! I should not have settled.

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Yes, I did. For two reasons --

1) the attorney I had hired to represent me in the lawsuits screwed them up pretty badly by missing deadlines, and other miscellaneous screwups. I had to go out and hire a second attorney to clean up the mess she made. (IMHO, she packed up and left town after being intimidated by the cops she was suing. They told her their would never be a working relationship between the police department and her in the future since she had chosen to sue them on my behalf)

and

2) it was never about money in the first place, I wanted to clear my name in public. After my being a sworn deputy sheriff for decades at the time, and this while the rookie was still in diapers and sucking a pacifier none the less, he was trying to make the public think I was one of the bad apples out here, a bad cop. This seemed much easier to him than simply admitting he was a moron and had made a mistake.

As I said above, they offered to settle because we had the dirty laundry to hang out for all to see. Just a very few examples were --

a) my identity was confirmed 4 hours before the rookie, in swearing to the warrants,told the magistrate that he was not successful incontacting my sheriff. My sheriff and captain would have testified that the rookie was willfully and maliciously lying to the magistrate.

b)a subpoena was issued for 911 tapes to prove my sheriff had indeed identified me in a timely fashion, the tapes were then "accidentally destroyed" and could not be produced after the subpoena was acknowledged by the 911 center director. We had evidence to prove that a 911 employee was assigned to cut the tapes into pieces no longer than 1 inch. They thought we would never find out about the intentional destruction.

c) the sergeant on duty was my brother-in-law, and he knew I was a sworn deputy sheriff, he was later terminated as I said above.

d) the rookie entered my home under false pretenses presented to my wife, and searched it without probable cause or a warrant; he told my wife he had my permission to view police badge and police patch collections. Two way radios in my home belonging to me personally were confiscated, warrants were issued because they looked like police radios so they must be police raidos, and they therefore had to be stolen since they looked like official police radios. Can you say "Keystone Cops" three times real fast?

e) after the rookie realized he had made a mistake, he fabricated other charges to add to the package against me. All of them were obviously tossed out of court before trial. One such charge was 'sawed off shotgun". He later claimed he measured it wrong. Another was "burglary tools" based upon my department issued slim-jims.

f) the rookie's department attempted to coerce my sheriff into denying I was a sowrn deputy sheriff. My sheriffrefused to lie for them.

g) the rookie tolda felow officerthat my infamous arrest was going to land him a promotion that he had so desperately been seeking.

h) the day after my arrest, another local sheriff told the rookie he had made a mistake and better start cleaning it up real quick. The rookie toldthis sheriffhe was going to prosecute me and was going to get a conviction.

i) In the dark, the rookie left my 4-year-old daughter in my car with a loaded shotgun for 45 minutes on a very busy 4 lane highway. His claim was he was at all times watching her and she was never in any danger. But the reason for the traffic stop was very darkly tinted windows on my car. He could not see into the car to have had her under observation at all times. Suppose my daughter had stepped out of the car and been run over?

j) rookie was presented with a valid Virginia State Police exemption certificate for the windows. He confiscated the certificate, called it a forgery, and stated he would be placing criminal felony charges for it too. Needless to say, this blew up in his face too. But when returned to me the certificate had a big chunk torn out of it.

...... trust me,the list goes on and on! I should not have settled.

Jeebus H Christ this sounds like a BAD TV Show :D

But what the hell was going on that your Brother In Law turned on you and wouldn't tell them that you were a Deputy ?

And how did it go from a Traffic Stop for Tinted Windows to the Rookie illegally searching your house while you and your 4 year old Daughter were in custody or Semi Custody?

Sounds like they had it in for you for some reason and I am glad you came out on top :D

I bet the Holidays are Peachy with your Ex Cop Brother in Law and the Family all gathered.

Sheriff

imported post

Moon Doggie wrote:
Jeebus H Christ this sounds like a BAD TV Show :D But what the hell was going on that your Brother In Law turned on you and wouldn't tell them that you were a Deputy ? And how did it go from a Traffic Stop for Tinted Windows to the Rookie illegally searching your house while you and your 4 year old Daughter were in custody or Semi Custody? Sounds like they had it in for you for some reason and I am glad you came out on top :D I bet the Holidays are Peachy with your Ex Cop Brother in Law and the Family all gathered.

I don't even think HBO has writers that could come up with stuff this good. I had almost finishedwriting a book aboutthe entire eventwhen something else just as serious took place. The book will now include this something else. Some of the original actors in the first event were involved in the second event.

My brother-in-law simply does not like me. Prior to my false arrest he had actually contacted my sheriff by phone and tried to have me fired, so he knew who who I was --this we could have proven easily with just my sheriff's testimony if we had gone to trial.

We couldn't actually prove why any of this took place, all we had to prove was the fact that it did unlawfully take place and the fact it was indeed a "false arrest". At trial we hoped to prove to the jury that it was with conspiracy, malice and forethought. Was the incumbent sheriff involved in this false arrest? We just don't know and could never get a handle on this so far as proving it.We couldn't use it at trial, but I have strong suspicions it took place because I was getting ready to run for sheriff in a city I had previously worked for over 2 decades.

How did it go from a Traffic Stop for Tinted Windows to the Rookie illegally searching your house while you and your 4 year old Daughter were in custody? A totally out of control rookie who felt he could do anything he pleased, and obviously felt he could lie about it later. At the same time he had 4 or 5 other"civilians" who were also calling him a pathetic liar and felt that he should have been stripped of his badge and gun. Several of them also filed lawsuits against him. I think he set a local record as the cop with the most pending lawsuits all taking place at the same time. There is no doubt in my mind, sooner or later he will get his, just like his sergeant who was fired got his.

I haven't seen or spoken to my brother-in-law since depositions were taken in the lawsuit back in the mid to late 90s. While he did land another job in law enforcement, he almost lost this new job not long ago when he hired a former fellow cop of hiswho had been fired for physically brutalizing a defendant in custoday during an interrogation. It had all been caughton videotape.

I have debated teling this tale here for a long time. But I feel the members are entitled to know things are not as they should be, especially when cops fight amongst themselves. If they do this to a fellow officer, what will they do to a civilian? I also really hate to expose how corrupt and crooked some cops are.... but please remember, these corrupt,crooked and lying cops are a very small percentage of cops nationwide.

JBURGII

imported post

Well, we know that it doesn't take much to give a single group a bad name. There are 'bad' cops, there are a lot of really good ones.. and there are a lot out there who are ignorant of the law concerning OC and CC, you just have to take every encounter individually while trying to educate the masses at the same time...

I worked closely with all different branches of LE while driving tow trucks in CA. Very interesting to say the least.. I saw a lot of good work, a lot of average and some very egotistical officers who thought they had super powers..

I have a few good friends on the force.. even some of them have that 'cop' aura 24/7, some of it I chalk up to situational awareness.. some of it is puffed out chest, crime fighting super duper bada##es.. which can be entertaining..

But in comment on this thread, I have seen firsthand officers doing things that were not exactly kosher just because of the "Whos gonna do anything about it?" attitude.

J

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Ahhhh the ole running against the incumbent Sheriff story :?

I have seen that happen in my County in the late 70's to mid 80's and then when the incumbent wins, he fires the guy that ran against him or if the challenger wins he fires all the old Deputies that worked for the incumbent, it's a sad state of affairs most times in the Sheriff Dept.

I will admit, the Tuscarawas County Sheriff is Pro gun and a damn good Sheriff in my book and I don't say that much and I will vote for him everytime he runs for Sheriff :D

Politics and Police work combined are EVIL and SOME Cops actually think they are the POTUS and can do any damn thing they want, those are the cops that need "Tuned Up" and set straight!

Any update on the Driver License breaking Cops ?

Sheriff

imported post

Moon Doggie wrote:
Ahhhh the ole running against the incumbent Sheriff story :?

I have seen that happen in my County in the late 70's to mid 80's and then when the incumbent wins, he fires the guy that ran against him or if the challenger wins he fires all the old Deputies that worked for the incumbent, it's a sad state of affairs most times in the Sheriff Dept.

Oh yes! In Virginia, sheriffs can hire and fire at will, with or without just cause.

At the same time as theevents I told above, the Louisa Township police chief decided to run for sheriff in Louisa County - against the incumbent captain in the Sheriff's Department. He too was subjected to a lot false allegations, a major stink storm and devastating media coverage. He won.... and the incumbent captain went bye bye.

cREbralFIX

imported post

It wasn't about money FOR YOU...but you know it's ALWAYS about money for them. At least it's now resolved to your satisfaction.

Sheriff

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
...but you know it's ALWAYS about money for them.

Absolutely. A city or county will spend $150,000 defending their wrongful actions before they will even think about settling out of court with compensation to a plaintiff being nothing more than a public apology. They're spending taxpayer's money to make themselves lood good and proper, they don't care.

Deanimator

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:
...but you know it's ALWAYS about money for them.

Absolutely. A city or county will spend $150,000 defending their wrongful actions before they will even think about settling out of court with compensation to a plaintiff being nothing more than a public apology. They're spending taxpayer's money to make themselves lood good and proper, they don't care.

Thats' why in the case of official oppression type cases, I would NEVER settle, and would make sure my legal representation knew that going in. If you violate my rights, I want it IN WRITING that you did. There isn't going to be "no admission of fault" crap. You don't need to admit it. I've got a legal document that says YOU ARE AT FAULT. And if you violate my rights, I'll DIE before I agree not to talk about what you did and what a degenerate piece of sub-human filth you are and how much money I yanked out of you. I'll make you as famous as Tony Abbate. I'll bet you don't enjoy the notoriety either.

Want to settle? Well MAYBE if you agree to do it yakuza style. What the hell, you didn't need the tip of your little finger and it'll look good in lucite on my computer desk...

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

It doesn't matter if only 1 in 100 is truly bad if the other 99 don't care about lying and otherwise covering for their 'fellow brother.' Indeed, one could say that those who willingly shield evil commit an even greater evil themselves.