• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO breaks OC'ers driver's license in half (Ohio)

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Allegedly, of course.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=21257

On Saturday July 5, 2008 at approximately 20:30, my daughter, (redacted), and myself pulled into Netty's Ice Cream Shop at 4568 Woodville Road in Northwood, Ohio for an ice cream cone for her birthday. We were riding my motorcycle for the evening. When we arrived at Netty's, there was a short line so we stood in line for a few minutes before we were served. After receiving our ice cream cones, we returned to my motorcycle and began having a conversation.

At about 20:40, a Northwood Police car came flying into the parking lot. The officer jumped out of his patrol car and walked over to a man wearing a gray shirt, baseball cap, and blue jeans. The officer and the man in plain clothes had a short conversation and then proceeded to approach me and my daughter. I told the police officer that I held a CHL and was carrying my gun. Both men then identified themselves as Northwood police officers. The uniformed police officer then told me that he didn't want to see my concealed handgun license (CHL) but wanted my drivers license. I gave them my identification. The off-duty officer (ODO) stated that he was concerned that I was open carrying a gun with children in the area, referring to his children that were with him. I then asked him if his children had ever seen his gun since he was a Northwood police officer. He never answered my question. Both officers then proceeded to tell me that my gun had to be concealed. A "spirited" conversation then ensued about the law on concealed carry weapons. I stated that open carry was legal and stated dates and cases to prove my knowledge of the concealed carry laws. The ODO stated that I was wrong and that it was not legal. The uniformed officer then stated that open carry was illegal. I began to repeat myself to the uniformed officer when a third officer arrived and the ODO left.

The uniformed officer that had arrived stated that open carry was illegal. I told him that I had spoken with the Ohio Highway Patrol (OHP) and that they stated that open-carry was legal. He then stated that the OHP lied to me. He then told me that the Northwood Police Department had me on videotape at Speedway on Woodville Road in Northwood, Ohio, carrying open and that I was impersonating a police officer. This particular Speedway is not posted regarding carrying a concealed weapon on premise. I then asked him if I looked like a police officer since I have over 30 tattoos and multiple piercings over my body. He agreed and stated that I didn't look like a police officer. I also stated that I didn't have to wear a uniform to carry a gun and that I had the documentation to prove my information was correct but the officer wasn't interested in seeing the documents. He also stated that if he arrived at a call and saw me, because of my appearance, that I would be the first person he would take down. He continued threatening me by stating that because I didn't wear a uniform I would get shot because of my appearance. As our conversation continued the officer stated that if he arrived at the company I patrol in the area (redacted) and had seen me with a gun he would "pop" me because of my appearance. The officers said that they would let this instance slide this time but if it happened one more time that they would arrest me and let the judge decide who was right. I asked the officers on what grounds would they arrest me on and neither officer could answer my question.

The officer that had my ID gave it back to me broken. When I told him that it was a new ID and that he had broken it in two, he shrugged his shoulders and said oh well. The officers then turned and went back to their cars and left.

The following night, I returned to Speedway and the young girl at the counter stated that the officers were there asking if she was scared of me and the fact that I carry a weapon in the open and her reply was that she felt safer with me around because I stop in every night to check on her at various hours of the night and that was more than the police department has been doing for her.

This is not the first time The Northwood Police Department police officers have behaved this way towards me. There have been several encounters over the last three years involving the same issues. Each encounter has increased with hostility.

IMO, the officers knew from the get-go that OC was legal. Else they would have arrested him.Their goal was to simplyharass him.

Sheriff

imported post

In the Officer.com thread I just posted a link to....

quote, Chief Wiggum: "Just out of curiosity has O.com become an official open carry forum? You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting an open carry thread."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheriff

imported post

Jacksnack wrote:
We now have an update..... "......On the issue of the broken driver's license, his information was that the license was "old and crumbly" and had been broken inadvertently by the officer. My information, with supporting photos of the license in question, is contrary to that claim......"
Boy, ohh boy! They seem to be in CYOA mode now. Shameful! :banghead:

Gunslinger

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Jacksnack wrote:
We now have an update..... "......On the issue of the broken driver's license, his information was that the license was "old and crumbly" and had been broken inadvertently by the officer. My information, with supporting photos of the license in question, is contrary to that claim......"
Still and all, chalk this one up for the good guys. :celebrate

Sheriff

imported post

To the best of my recollection, an Ohio driver's license is just like a Virginia license -- very thick hard plastic. They do not get "old and crumbly".

I would feel like a total incompetent moron trying to use the "old and crumbly" defense. :cuss:

Deanimator

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Jacksnack wrote:
Nothing's better than to see the other side "has each other's backs"... and knives poised to plunge into them. I like to see bad liars try to keep five stories straight while under oath...

XD-40-Bob

imported post

So the Law director is letting this slide and nothing will be done?

Moon Doggie

dbc3804

imported post

I've been shifting over to this link every few days just to check on progress.

Things got real quiet for a while, but thenDaniel the Site Administrator received a letter from the Chief of Police informing him that nothing the officers did was improper, that the Ohio Drivers Licenses had a flaw that caused them to break, and that the internal investigation was closed.

They are having an OC get-together on Sept. 20 at noon where they will take a stroll through the park, (beside the Police station), have lunch a a local restaurant that they already have confirmed will welcome them, and then possibliy visit a local gun store.

The only downer for the whole thing was the original ice cream store that was the site of the encounter has told them that they would not be welcome there. Bummer.

I do wish it wasn't so far away. I'd like to be there with them.

Danny

Ohio Patriot

imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
I've been shifting over to this link every few days just to check on progress.

Things got real quiet for a while, but thenDaniel the Site Administrator received a letter from the Chief of Police informing him that nothing the officers did was improper, that the Ohio Drivers Licenses had a flaw that caused them to break, and that the internal investigation was closed.

They are having an OC get-together on Sept. 20 at noon where they will take a stroll through the park, (beside the Police station), have lunch a a local restaurant that they already have confirmed will welcome them, and then possibliy visit a local gun store.

The only downer for the whole thing was the original ice cream store that was the site of the encounter has told them that they would not be welcome there. Bummer.

I do wish it wasn't so far away. I'd like to be there with them.

Danny
A thread has been started on the OC gathering:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/15654.html

ADulay

imported post

"The following night, I returned to Speedway and the young girl at the counter stated that the officers were there asking if she was scared of me and the fact that I carry a weapon in the open and her reply was that she felt safer with me around because I stop in every night to check on her at various hours of the night and that was more than the police department has been doing for her."

I would have loved to seen the look on the officer's faces with that perfect reply.

As a former officer I'm finding a lot of the stories I read on this forum just incredible. I used to run into some real jerks when I was on my motorcycle until I informed them of my "status" at the time.

You done good and I look forward to OC in Ohio when I come up to visit my brother in the coming months.

AD

Sheriff

imported post

ADulay wrote:
As a former officer I'm finding a lot of the stories I read on this forum just incredible.

As a former officer, I don't.

Doesn't take but 1% to 2% of a department to tarnish the image for all.

KBCraig

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
ADulay wrote:
As a former officer I'm finding a lot of the stories I read on this forum just incredible.

As a former officer, I don't.

Doesn't take but 1% to 2% of a department to tarnish the image for all.
The "it's just 1%!" excuse has always been a bad cop-out (pardon the pun). For the citizen being detained, handcuffed, searched without warrant or consent, verbally harassed, physically intimidated, and possibly even threatened, it doesn't matter than 99 other cops wouldn't do the same.

For that citizen, it's 100% of the cops he's dealing with at that time. Given how seldom average citizens have contacts with LE, that could very well be 100% of their lifetime interaction with police. Nothing is "routine" about it to the citizen.

Sheriff

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
The "it's just 1%!" excuse has always been a bad cop-out (pardon the pun). For the citizen being detained, handcuffed, searched without warrant or consent, verbally harassed, physically intimidated, and possibly even threatened, it doesn't matter than 99 other cops wouldn't do the same.

For that citizen, it's 100% of the cops he's dealing with at that time. Given how seldom average citizens have contacts with LE, that could very well be 100% of their lifetime interaction with police. Nothing is "routine" about it to the citizen.

Yes, I certainly understand this.... and agree with you.

Believe it or not, after having been a sworn deputy sheriff for almost 3 decades, I have been on the receiving end of what you just mentioned above back in 1997 myself. But the other officers on the department apologized to me for the rookie being a total and absolute moron. I had to sue the rookie and his sergeant to clear my namein public. In lessening his own liability, the police chief publicly refused to admit his moron rookie had made any mistakes. He stood by the false arrest in the media. As soon as the judge set a definite jury trial date for my lawsuits against them, they were knocking on the door wanting to settle out of court, they didn't want their dirty laundry hung out for the public to see. And the sergeant on duty was eventually terminated.