Thread: does anyone do this?

Post imported post

Does anyone carry with there saftey off at certain times or certain places?

Post imported post

I don't have a safety. (I presume you're referring to a thumb switch of some sort).

Post imported post

yes sir

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
    It is an incredibly dumb idea to carry a 1911 style SA loaded with the safety off.

DA and DAO semiautos it is generally safe.

Some pistols don't even have a traditional safety.

Post imported post

I only turn the safety off when I am preparing to fire.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

stanicus wrote:
    I only turn the safety off when I am preparing to fire.
    My gun is ALWAYS prepared to fire: mechanical safety is always off, I prefer a real-time biological safety - ME!

Post imported post

I turn my off when im driving at night like 1 or 3 in the morning or if im going into a gas station late at night. Just wanted to see what some of you did.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I keep my safety on for my 1911. If I was ever followed by someone at night on the street as I walked, I may take the safety off then. But as of now it stays on.

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    slowzx320 wrote:
    It is an incredibly dumb idea to carry a 1911 style SA loaded with the safety off.

Why is it a dumb idea? Even if the safety is not on, the grip safety and the trigger need to be pressed before the gun can fire. As long as it is holstered, I don't see how you can say that not having the safety on is a bad idea.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    ilbob wrote:
    slowzx320 wrote:

Why is it a dumb idea? Even if the safety is not on, the grip safety and the trigger need to be pressed before the gun can fire. As long as it is holstered, I don't see how you can say that not having the safety on is a bad idea.
    I agree with you that 1911 are safe guns, and as long as the trigger is covered it should be fine with the safety off, but you know mechanical things can malfunction. A 1911 only allows about 2-3cm of error if the weapon does malfunction, or just one SIMPLE act of carelessness then BOOM you have a Wal-Mart discharge.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, I carry a Springfield Armory XD.

There is no manual "move this before you can shoot" safety.

The only external safeties are the grip safety (think 1911) and a trigger safety (think Glock).

I open carry, cocked and loaded, in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster, which (of course) fully covers the trigger guard.

Basically, once the gun is in my hand, it's "hot".

Post imported post

I carry an XD so no manual safety to disengage.

When I carried an Hk USP 45 I carried it with the hammer down and safety on. I trained to draw and release the safety simultaneously. I could have carried it with the safety off, the DA pull was pretty heavy, lol.

I do occasionally carry my 1911. When I do it's cocked and locked. The trigger pull is so crisp and clean there is no way I'd want to holster it with the safety off. One errand fiber of clothing in the trigger guard as it goes in and that'd be it if the web of your hand was depressing the grip safety.

1911's were designed to be carry cocked AND locked. The safety is an intergral part of the drop insurance as well.

As to the XD I always make sure I don't depress the grip safety when holstering. Just in case.

I wouldn't take the safety off unless the gun was in my hand. Fiddling with the controls is introducing randomness to something that should be learnt and fall under muscle memory.

Do it the same way every time. No exceptions lest you find yourself trying to take a safety off that's already off, decocking on accident, trying to load a cell phone into your mag well ect. ect.

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA

Post imported post

I carry a revolver these days. Back when I carried a self-shucker, I packed a cocked & locked 1911A1. It didn't get unlocked until it was out of the holster.

Post imported post

I carry different guns at different times. Of the 5 that I may carry (2 different XDs, a Ruger P95DC, a GP100, or Beretta Tomcat), only the Tomcat has a safety selector switch. When I carry it, it is always on safe. If the time comes that I have to draw it, then it will be switched to the "go" position.

I agree with Prometheus' reasoning.

Post imported post

I carry a Glock saftey is when you pull the trigger. Keep your finger off the trigger and you are ok . And hi to everyone in Indiana im in Hebron.

Post imported post

Glock 21 chambered hot.

Post imported post

Safety's on, round in the chamber, hammer decocked.

Taurus PT92SS-17

I practice the draw/unlock, it's one motion to draw and have the safety off. I feel a bit better about it that way for some reason.

One of things I don't like about the Glock's. Academically I know it's as safe as anything else, it just *feels* weird to me.

Post imported post

Only one safety thats me. I carry a glock 21 No safety except me thats the way it should be but to each is his own
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    slowzx320 wrote:

Actually the 1911 was designed to be carried with the safety off or disengaged, this is the waythe designer planned it, at least this is what my c.c.w instructor told us.

AlthoughI carry mine with the safety on, I also do a lot of practising with it and am confident that the safety wont be an issue.

But I wouldn't make a big deal about some one else carrying there's with it disengaged. just besure to keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot someone.

Post imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
    ilbob wrote:
    slowzx320 wrote:

Actually the 1911 was designed to be carried with the safety off or disengaged, this is the waythe designer planned it, at least this is what my c.c.w instructor told us.

AlthoughI carry mine with the safety on, I also do a lot of practising with it and am confident that the safety wont be an issue.

But I wouldn't make a big deal about some one else carrying there's with it disengaged. just besure to keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot someone.

The thumb safety was added at the insistence of the then "senior service" of the US Army, the Cavalry which was concerned with what a cavalryman would do with a loaded, cocked pistol when he didn't have to fire it anymore, was riding with the reins in one hand and needed to holster the weapon.

So yes, JMB did originally intend for the grip safety to be it, on the 1911.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 23 with a full mag and one in the pipe.

Post imported post

I have several pistols, of which I might carry. IF I am packing any of them, the are all carried with one in the pipe.

When packing the Taurus PT92AFS, the hammer is down and the safety is on.

When packing my EAA Witness 10mm, the hammer is cocked and the safety is on.

When packing my Walther P38 (post WWII production) the hammer is down and the safety is off.

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    Alwayspacking wrote:
    ... A 1911 only allows about 2-3cm of error if the weapon does malfunction, or just one SIMPLE act of carelessness then BOOM you have a Wal-Mart discharge.
    FYI, 2 to 3 centimeters is a bit over an inch. That said, what exactly does "2-3 cm of error" mean? That unless you pull the trigger 2-3cm it won't discharge? Stay 2-3cm away from children's fingers, hooks, and corners? Your post doesn't seem to make much sense.
    I agree with Bill.

It boils down to one of the bigger safety rules.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

I had to use, it's too funny and true not to.

2-3CM is a LOT of room for error honestly. If it makes you feel better, use the thumb safety, but I wouldn't be too worried about it w/ a 1911. My Taurus doesn't have a grip safety, so I use the thumb safety.

Heck, a typical glock doesn't have anything more than an extra part to their trigger for a safety, and they're just fine. (Just not my preference -- I just don't like how they shoot).