• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

does anyone do this?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
Does anyone carry with there saftey off at certain times or certain places?

It is an incredibly dumb idea to carry a 1911 style SA loaded with the safety off.

DA and DAO semiautos it is generally safe.

Some pistols don't even have a traditional safety.

slowzx320

imported post

I turn my off when im driving at night like 1 or 3 in the morning or if im going into a gas station late at night. Just wanted to see what some of you did.

tattedupboy

imported post

ilbob wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

It is an incredibly dumb idea to carry a 1911 style SA loaded with the safety off.

Why is it a dumb idea? Even if the safety is not on, the grip safety and the trigger need to be pressed before the gun can fire. As long as it is holstered, I don't see how you can say that not having the safety on is a bad idea.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
ilbob wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

Why is it a dumb idea? Even if the safety is not on, the grip safety and the trigger need to be pressed before the gun can fire. As long as it is holstered, I don't see how you can say that not having the safety on is a bad idea.
I agree with you that 1911 are safe guns, and as long as the trigger is covered it should be fine with the safety off, but you know mechanical things can malfunction. A 1911 only allows about 2-3cm of error if the weapon does malfunction, or just one SIMPLE act of carelessness then BOOM you have a Wal-Mart discharge.:banghead:

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I carry a Springfield Armory XD.

There is no manual "move this before you can shoot" safety.

The only external safeties are the grip safety (think 1911) and a trigger safety (think Glock).

I open carry, cocked and loaded, in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster, which (of course) fully covers the trigger guard.

Basically, once the gun is in my hand, it's "hot".

Prometheus

imported post

I carry an XD so no manual safety to disengage.

When I carried an Hk USP 45 I carried it with the hammer down and safety on. I trained to draw and release the safety simultaneously. I could have carried it with the safety off, the DA pull was pretty heavy, lol.

I do occasionally carry my 1911. When I do it's cocked and locked. The trigger pull is so crisp and clean there is no way I'd want to holster it with the safety off. One errand fiber of clothing in the trigger guard as it goes in and that'd be it if the web of your hand was depressing the grip safety.

1911's were designed to be carry cocked AND locked. The safety is an intergral part of the drop insurance as well.

As to the XD I always make sure I don't depress the grip safety when holstering. Just in case.

I wouldn't take the safety off unless the gun was in my hand. Fiddling with the controls is introducing randomness to something that should be learnt and fall under muscle memory.

Do it the same way every time. No exceptions lest you find yourself trying to take a safety off that's already off, decocking on accident, trying to load a cell phone into your mag well ect. ect.

cce1302

imported post

I carry different guns at different times. Of the 5 that I may carry (2 different XDs, a Ruger P95DC, a GP100, or Beretta Tomcat), only the Tomcat has a safety selector switch. When I carry it, it is always on safe. If the time comes that I have to draw it, then it will be switched to the "go" position.

I agree with Prometheus' reasoning.

squisher

imported post

Safety's on, round in the chamber, hammer decocked.

Taurus PT92SS-17

I practice the draw/unlock, it's one motion to draw and have the safety off. I feel a bit better about it that way for some reason.

One of things I don't like about the Glock's. Academically I know it's as safe as anything else, it just *feels* weird to me.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

ilbob wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

Actually the 1911 was designed to be carried with the safety off or disengaged, this is the waythe designer planned it, at least this is what my c.c.w instructor told us.

AlthoughI carry mine with the safety on, I also do a lot of practising with it and am confident that the safety wont be an issue.

But I wouldn't make a big deal about some one else carrying there's with it disengaged. just besure to keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot someone.:cool:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
ilbob wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

Actually the 1911 was designed to be carried with the safety off or disengaged, this is the waythe designer planned it, at least this is what my c.c.w instructor told us.

AlthoughI carry mine with the safety on, I also do a lot of practising with it and am confident that the safety wont be an issue.

But I wouldn't make a big deal about some one else carrying there's with it disengaged. just besure to keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot someone.:cool:
The thumb safety was added at the insistence of the then "senior service" of the US Army, the Cavalry which was concerned with what a cavalryman would do with a loaded, cocked pistol when he didn't have to fire it anymore, was riding with the reins in one hand and needed to holster the weapon.

So yes, JMB did originally intend for the grip safety to be it, on the 1911.