• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie Info

Greggamma

imported post

OK. I am fairly new to carrying CHP or Open. Iam a VCDL member, NRA, and The RRPC in C'Ville. I had/have heard that Wal-Mart has a no gun policy? Is that accurate? Does it have to be posted on the store? Even if it isn't I am NOT planning on asking them to advertise it!

Also,Virginia says that you can OC in any restaurant that serves alcohol but NOT CHP-is that accurate? If so why the discrepancy?

Lastly, What do you do when you can CHP from here to Illinios but then can't? Do I do the standard-unload and lock-up in 2 places?

Thanks for ANY info.

Signed, Just learning to be brave and accept my 2nd Ammendment Right.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Wal-Mart's policy is to reflect state law. At times the local management has told people to leave, but they have usually been corrected by the corporation when people have informed the corporation about their experience.

As for OC w/ alcohol but not CC, I have no idea. It makes little sense, but many states seem to think OC is protected by the constitution while CC is not. Or maybe they just think if its concealed other people might agitate you. I have no idea what logic those crazy politicians have.

Federal law says an unloaded gun in a locked case in the trunk is safe anywhere in the U.S.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Wal-Mart's policy is to reflect state law. At times the local management has told people to leave, but they have usually been corrected by the corporation when people have informed the corporation about their experience.

As for OC w/ alcohol but not CC, I have no idea. It makes little sense, but many states seem to think OC is protected by the constitution while CC is not. Or maybe they just think if its concealed other people might agitate you. I have no idea what logic those crazy politicians have.

Federal law says an unloaded gun in a locked case in the trunk is safe anywhere in the U.S.
Actually this is wrong. Wal-Mart has a policy to support the States concealed carry laws so that if soneone was lawfully allowed to conceal carry they could in the store unless at any point the gun was no longer concealed.

They expressly forbid any case of a firearm being visible. Wal-Mart Policy Letter

Orygunner

imported post

Well, that Wal-mart letter is dated over 9 years ago... I wonder if they've changed their policy?

I'll still continue to OC in Wal-Mart until it becomes an issue.

...Shouldn't even shop there to begin with, but the prices are too seductive!...
...Orygunner...

Greggamma

imported post

Thanks for the info. IOC'dat Guadalajara (sp?) in Charlottesville. Fine. I had to laugh though my wife didn't even notice I was carrying until after we got home. :lol:Lowe's here today to, no problems, looks, etc...:celebrate

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's the law on carrying in establishments serving alcohol.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, ...[a bunch of other weapons you probably don't care about]... he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. ...[penalties for multiple offenses]... For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.​

AbNo

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Actually this is wrong. Wal-Mart has a policy to support the States concealed carry laws so that if soneone was lawfully allowed to conceal carry they could in the store unless at any point the gun was no longer concealed.

They expressly forbid any case of a firearm being visible. Wal-Mart Policy Letter

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]
[/font] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]ERROR[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The page you are looking for has been moved or does not exist on this server. Please go the the Home Page
.[/font]

Tucker6900

imported post

The emailI got from walmart,(still looking for it, once I find it Ill post it) States that The walmart policy is to follow the Law of the state that the store is located in. So therefore, in Michigan walmarts, OC is allowed, and supposedly, they have inform all MI Walmart management of this.