• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

man found with gun in st george airport

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This story is very short and KSL is knownto exaggerate and mislead on story's. I wonder if he really was in a secure area or tried to enter through the security gate, when this was found. Razors? What kind? Shaving or utility?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3736323

ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) -- A 28-year-old man was taken into custody after being found with a gun at the St. George Airport.
Police say there was a full magazine for the .32 caliber pistol and razors in the bag the man was carrying in a restricted part of the airport.
Police Sgt. James Van Fleet says the man told officers he didn't know the weapons were in the bag.
The man was taken to Purgatory Correctional Facility on charges of weapon possession in an airport, possession of a concealed weapon and possession of a loaded weapon.

The Salt Lake Tribune story is almost the same, same facts

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9849892

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scorpioajr wrote:
usSiR wrote:
....Police say there was a full magazine......charges of.....a loaded weapon.....

Sooo....thats gonna get dropped, right? Or maybe we dont have all the facts?
I dont think we have all the facts. Just out of cuiosity I would like to know all the details and how it turns out.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ilbob wrote:
If he was already in the secure area, how did they find a gun on him?

That what I want to know...

Also how did he get into the secure area with it? Was he a ticketed passenger or employee in the airport?

Did he have bad intentions, or really forget it was in the bag. I've had my handguns in my bags on road trips, but I put themaway when I get home.

Singlestack

imported post

I am wondering if they considered the ticketing area a secure area, and then when he went through the TSA checkpoint, they found it... unless of course, they sulfur sniffing K9's were out and went ballistically ( no pun intended ) crazy.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Singlestack wrote:
...ballistically ( no pun intended ) crazy.
:p http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns ;)

What is this? Most people use use "no pun intended" as cliche. Some nut job who spent too much timeon his psychology major came up with this BS, and it was only to suit HIS mindset toward its usage. However, I'll let you off the hook this time because of those little smily faces on both ends of the link. lol

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Some nut job who spent too much timeon his psychology major came up with this BS, and it was only to suit HIS mindset toward its usage. However, I'll let you off the hook this time because of those little smily faces on both ends of the link.
If you read the rest of Maddox's website, you will realize that this is just the fratire of the saddest caveman. ;) Also, he does not have a degree, he is attending the University of Utah, where he is majoring in math.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

usSiR wrote:
ilbob wrote:
If he was already in the secure area, how did they find a gun on him?

That what I want to know...

Also how did he get into the secure area with it? Was he a ticketed passenger or employee in the airport?

Did he have bad intentions, or really forget it was in the bag. I've had my handguns in my bags on road trips, but I put themaway when I get home.
I'm just guessing here as I have no more details of this incident than y'all do. But I grew up in St. George and spent some time at the airport both with family who fly as well as flying in and out commercially.

The St. George airport is very small and the bulk of traffic is private aviation. The "secure area" of the airport consists of a small waiting room beyond the metal detectors, and then a nebulous area on the tarmac between the outside door of the secure waiting room and the commercial (SkyWest) airplanes using the terminal.

It is perfectly legal for general (private) aviation pilots and their passengers to have guns in their planes, on the tarmacs, and in their cars that are usually driven onto the tarmac right up to wherever the private plane is parked.

If the guy made it through TSA security with all that in his bag, TSA is doing a worse job than usual. Or, the media is doing a typical job of not reporting the facts and he was caught at the checkpoint.

But it would be fairly simple in St. George to either end up inadvertently in the "secure area" whiile walking to or from a private plane, OR to bypass security in some way.

Charles

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A .32 is smaller than 9mm right? Wow, that is a small round. But then again, if you mean to do damage, a .32 to the head, or thru an airplane window would be effective enough depending on the shooter's goal. But no, I wouldn't carry that as a defense load.

xmirage2kx

imported post

timf343 wrote:
A .32 is smaller than 9mm right? Wow, that is a small round. But then again, if you mean to do damage, a .32 to the head, or thru an airplane window would be effective enough depending on the shooter's goal. But no, I wouldn't carry that as a defense load.
I like .32 better than the .380 auto loads that won't penetrate a heavy T-shirt