• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cyclists open carrying?

hsmith

imported post

I had an interesting discussion with someone I know who is a "pro-am" cyclist. It is his hobby, he races all the time, he bikes to work, everything.

Most interesting was his commenting on how every single day he has an incident with a car, someone will swerve at him, people will throw things out their window, the list goes on. Swearving at someone, IMO seems to be assault with a deadly weapon, brandishing so to speak.

He has asked about OC'ing to deter this type of activity towards him. I didn't convey my opinion, because I am not sure what I think on the matter of only OC'ing for this single purpose (I say carry it all around!). As well, I am unsure of the deterance it would have for someone in a car, would they see it, ect.

Would you advise or not advise someone who is in this situation do OC for a deterant factor while cycling? Clearly his safety is at risk from people who have total disreguard for his life.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Some people sure are rude to bicyclists.

I don't bike race, but I do bike ride quite a lot. I always open carry when I bike ride, and I see no reason not to. I once even fell off my bike while open carrying, and other than a scraped up holster and some scratches on the gun it caused no problems.

I don't know if the OC deterrant factor will always work at stopping jerks.Deterring people from being jerks is not why I open carry anyway, butwhile bike riding I still had someone drive by in their truck and yell at me as they went by. But I carry my gun typically on the right side where it may not be the most visible. If he carried on the left side more people would notice.

Michigander

imported post

Of course he should OC and ride, I do. That is, if he understands all of the responsibilities that go with open carrying.

It goes without saying that if he starts carrying his mindset needs to be as far away from I'm gonna draw down on these jerks as it can be, and instead he should probably be eager to call the police on any car that gives him trouble. That's the great thing about license plates.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

not to start an argument. but bikers who don't follow the rules of the road are extremely irritating and deserve whatever they get.

not saying your buddy does this or not. but i have to deal with this bullshit everyday going to and from work in portland and it pisses me off enough to want to bash the heads of these bike nazis

Michigander

imported post

It's a 2 way street that both sides have their right to bitch about. Some drivers are jerks, and some cyclists are too. It's the same road, with the same rights and rules. Only thing is the slowest vehicles, bicycles, they need to stay to the right as far as possible.

Proper ticketing of all guilty parties is the way to go.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

id rather have the bikes ride on the sidewalk. i dont think they belong in traffic.

honestly, i never see anyone in a car do anything against a person on the bike. everyday i see multipal bike riders cause trouble.

i could literally count at least two dozen violations by bike riders on my 5 block walk from my building to my motorcycle which is parked in a garage

SpringerXDacp

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
not to start an argument. but bikers who don't follow the rules of the road are extremely irritating and deserve whatever they get.

not saying your buddy does this or not. but i have to deal with this bull@#$% everyday going to and from work in portland and it pisses me off enough to want to bash the heads of these bike nazis
I don't know about the laws in Oregon, but, in Michigan it's legal for cyclists to ride two abreast on our public roads...no cycling on highways, of course. Providing, they follow the same lawspertaining tomotor vehicles.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
id rather have the bikes ride on the sidewalk. i dont think they belong in traffic.

honestly, i never see anyone in a car do anything against a person on the bike. everyday i see multipal bike riders cause trouble.

i could literally count at least two dozen violations by bike riders on my 5 block walk from my building to my motorcycle which is parked in a garage
Again, in Michigan, this is illegal, unless the sidewalk is specifically posted for bicycles. You may want to research Oregon laws to see what you can do about your menacing, Nazi-cyclists that you are so fond of.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

i dont think its "illegal" to ride on the sidewalks in oregon, but its certainly legal to ride in the street in portland and everyone does it and they do not follow the traffic "laws" like a car would. and they are rarely enforced against bikers

i watched some woman crash yesteday in the middle of portland on a bike it was hilarious she screamed for a good 20 seconds while she skidded down a hill where some other guy on a bike actually stopped for the light, didn't attempt to swerve or move just screaming. crashed into him and went flying.

hsmith

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Of course he should OC and ride, I do. That is, if he understands all of the responsibilities that go with open carrying.

It goes without saying that if he starts carrying his mindset needs to be as far away from I'm gonna draw down on these jerks as it can be, and instead he should probably be eager to call the police on any car that gives him trouble. That's the great thing about license plates.
No no, he is quite level headed and understands the responsibilities associated with carrying a firearm. And I agree one the 2nd part, calling the police.

kurtmax_0

imported post

The bicyclists around here are pretty good at staying as far to the edge of the road as possible. It's annoying but I put up with it. I even plan to start riding my bike more even.

It's illegal (against a city ordinance) to ride on the sidewalks, unless they are specifically marked as bike paths. Doesn't really matter since there really aren't any sidewalks anyways (Go figure, a university town and the only place with sidewalks is the... university).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I have 40K+ miles as an armed cyclist, CCW because that's what allowed in South Carolina. When I was retired (@ 43 yo) therapist told me to get on a bike and I did about 200 miles per week for ten years, arming myself shortly after starting to ride seriously.

As to rights and ought'a, there is as much controversy and testiness among cyclists as among us OCDO. Most states codes define a bicycle as a vehicle and preempt most ordinances, and that's all there is to any argument.

My pistol never became a issue while riding. It made me a better and more aware cyclist.

My town cops likely knew that I was an armed cyclist.

Michigander

imported post

johnnyb wrote:

I am someone who is very familiar with both sides of the equation. My username is named after a cross Michigan bicycle trip that I like to go on every year. Just the same, I am a lead footed fan of American Muscle. Believe it or not, even if Oregon is full of hippies, there is space for everyone in the street. It's everyones job to be careful. I do understand your anger at people who ride innapropriately, it pisses me off too.

Again, both parties are guilty. Drivers often times give bicyclists as little room as possible, and as was mentioned sometimes get much more aggressive. Then there are bike riders who you have your gripes about that you mentioned, and there can be a lot worse things too. Google critical mass if you want to see more.

Again, I say both parties need to respect each other, and be careful. It also helps when suitable shoulders are made so that bikes don't have to ride so much into the street. Some streets are just made to discourage anything but cars, and that's a solid chunk of the problem.

Take it from someone who was hit by an SUV as a conseqence for riding on the sidewalk, it's not always a good idea. Cars often don't see you as they pull out of parking lots, and often times in business districs you are at a high risk of getting hit by an opening door. Not to mention getting mixed up with foot traffic. The street is usually the place to be, although there are some sidewalks in less busy urban areas that are worth riding on.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I ride quite a bit and I've considered OCing on the bike. I'm just not sure how to do it. I guess I'd have to use a paddle, but I don't have a retention strap on any of mine and I'd be a bit worried about that. A paddle might begin to rub me raw in bike shorts. How do you guys do it?

PS, I too was run-over by an SUV while riding on the sidewalk. Riding in the street is much safer for cyclists and, if you ride fast, it's much safer for the pedestrians.

Michigander

imported post

It's not ideal, but I carry my Sig in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick. I really should get a retention holster, but that sidekick is quite comfortable.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

centsi wrote:
I ride quite a bit and I've considered OCing on the bike. I'm just not sure how to do it. I guess I'd have to use a paddle, but I don't have a retention strap on any of mine and I'd be a bit worried about that. A paddle might begin to rub me raw in bike shorts. How do you guys do it?

PS, I too was run-over by an SUV while riding on the sidewalk. Riding in the street is much safer for cyclists and, if you ride fast, it's much safer for the pedestrians.
Well, I just wear the same jean shorts, shirt, and leather galco belt/holster as I always wear. Iusually only ride about 8 miles and only every 2 or 3 days though.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the several states that I live in, all have required that bicyclists follows the same rules of the road that cars and motorcycles follow. I was actually "pulled over" for speeding on my Schwinn touring bike back in the day (I didn't compete but I often rode with the local Schwinn team). A cyclist who states "But I will always choose to obey the traffic rules when it feels right." is a jerk and dangerous to himself and others on the road. I assume he isn't OC since he openly admits to not being a LAC.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

smash29 wrote:
Can't take credit for this but I have to admit I agree with the sentiment.Occasionally. :D

To all the drivers who get so pissed off at all the cyclists on the road -
Leave them alone. Almost all of them are obeying the rules, trying to stay out of your way, trying to enjoy a nice ride, trying to get some exercise, just not using gas to get to work, school, grocery whatever. They're really not in your way. They're only stopping you from getting to the next red light two seconds earlier.

I'm the one you hate. And I like it.

I rarely stop at stop signs. I'll slow down and make sure the coast is CLEAR. I mean NO-ONE coming. I'm not out to cause an accident. But I'll break the law and ride on through. I like it.

I do stop for red lights - when there is traffic. But I will go if the way is clear before the light turns green. About 90% of the time I will ride through a red light. I like it.

When cars are stopped at a light I'll ride past you all, between lanes and get in front of the first car. It's illegal but I'm never going to get ticketed and I like it.

Excepting highways, I ride on whatever the @#$% road I want - bike lanes or no. If the right side of a lane is trashed (branches, trash, potholes) then I'll ride down the middle of the lane. I'm not moving over when you're behind me either. Hell, if you're going too slow, I'll even move into the left lane and pass you. I like it.

Drivers who yell "the rules" out their windows are hilarious. Faces all crimson with anger. Spittle flying. None of these asshats are people I have endangered. There just idiots who get angry when I "get away" with the @#$% I pull. It's really funny. You've got that special type of anger that driving creates. It makes me feel good that I'm on a bike. So go ahead - YELL! I like it.

Very rarely I'll come across a driver who will express his anger at my rule breaking by driving dangerously around me and pulling stupid @#$% to scare me. I'm not scared. It does annoy me and I will catch up with you and I will come out on top. So go ahead - @#$% with me on the road. My adrenaline is already high, the anger feels good, bring it on. I like it.

I have NEVER hit, or been hit by, a moving automobile (I did run into a parked car when I hit some ice once). I have NEVER caused any driver to slam on their brakes. Yes, I would know if I did. I'm very aware of EVERY car around me (hence, never been hit). These are good stats for the amount of cycling I have done. It make me confident, but not over-confident. The scoreboard stays clear. I like it.

I will NOT slow you down. If I'm riding in town, then I am going as fast as you, faster than you or cruising to a red light. If I have slipped up between stopped cars to get in front of you at a red light (and I wait for the green) I will accelerate through the intersection a lot faster than you no matter what kind of assmobile you have ('cept motorbikes). And then I'll even stay on the right so that you can easily pass me! I know I've just been a @#$% and passed you all at the red, so if you've got enough road to catch up, I'll give you the room to pass! When you do catch up and pass me without having to change lane I'm happy. I like it.

See I'm not really evil. I enjoy all the dip@#$%s who think that they are law enforcement. I'll do my best to not impede you on your urgent mission to get to whereeverthe@#$%. I will absolutely avoid causing an accident or scaring the @#$% out of you. But I will always choose to obey the traffic rules when it feels right. I use my brain. I don't care whether you like it or not. It works for me. I like it.

Out of town - this is a different scene. It's easy to stay on the right. I never ride two abreast. If it's a narrow road, I'll get way over so you can safely pass. If it's a narrow road and you're waiting to pass (out of town, this actually happens a lot) and it looks like it could be a while, I'll even get off the road and stop! I don't care, I'm only racing myself. But WTF is going on? Once you get out of town, something like 99.999% of drivers are REALLY NICE! They pass with LOTS of room. They WAIT to pass, often fairly far behind. NO-ONE honks. NO-ONE yells. They just don't seem as angry as city drivers. I like riding in the country.

So, angry drivers, don't hate all cyclists, hate me. I won't actually cause you any trouble but if you're the easily angered type then I'll gladly annoy the @#$% out of you with the way I ride. Hate me - I like it.

:)
Please tell us that this is all just a little sarcasm on your part. The cyclists who do many of the things you have outlined here are the ones I hope get hit by a car, truck, or whatever.

Not killed.. just a few broken bones and cuts. Pain is a great teacher.