• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heller Victory Party in Richmond on July 19th

Can you make it to the Heller Victory Party?

• Yes - I'll be there!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe - Who's Sen Cuccinelli?

• No - Gas is $4+ per gallon!

• Total voters

TEX1N

imported post

I thought I would pass this along to anyone interested. Sen Ken Cuccinelli (R-Fairfax) is hosting a "Heller Victory Party" next saturday in Richmond. It should be a lot of fun and a great time to meet 2nd Amendment supports from across the Commonwealth.

This is an open invite, so please spread the word!

Heller Victory Party

We would like to invite you to our victory party for the recent U.S. Supreme Court case, D.C. v. Heller. This historic case overturned the unconstitutional DC Handgun Ban and established that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. We'll be talking about the ruling itself and its impact. You'll also have the chance to spend time with other 2nd Amendment supporters to talk about "what's next." Please plan to join us!

Saturday, July 19th
4PM – 6PM

Fuddruckers (Intersection of Broad & Parham)
8205 W Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23294

This event is free to attend! (Food may be purchased on an individual basis as desired.) If you want to come, help sponsor the event, or volunteer at the event, please RSVP to mick [at] cuccinelli [dot] com (the new campaign manager).

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Everytime there is an outing or something as awesome as this I have to work!:banghead:

Ah, yes. To paraphrase W.C. Fields, "Work is the curse of the shooting class".

scarletwahoo

imported post

Are there any decent public or cheap ranges by Richmond? I'd like to stop by, but my friend is coming into town. She is from the armpit of the east coast (NJ) so I'm going to take her shooting, if there is a range around there, I could justify the trip, and show her that it's legal to OC here without getting a felony charge. :)

sitedzn

imported post

Sounds like fun. We'll see how I feel after my 9 hour fishing tournament to see if I'm able to make it across town.

67GT390FB

imported post

scarletwahoo wrote:
Are there any decent public or cheap ranges by Richmond? I'd like to stop by, but my friend is coming into town. She is from the armpit of the east coast (NJ) so I'm going to take her shooting, if there is a range around there, I could justify the trip, and show her that it's legal to OC here without getting a felony charge. :)

http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/

pretty much a straight shot from fuddruckers. 13 miles/19 minutes away(stoplights)
depending on how much and what you want to shoot budget 60-80 bucks for 2 people. also depends if you want to rent anything they have a large rental selection including FA(budget more money)

range fee is 8.00 per person x 2 $16.00

eyes and ears for 2 (couple of bucks) figure your total is at $20.00 at this point

figure an avg of 20 bucks per box of 50 for ammo YMMV depending on caliber(you must buy ammo from them.it doesn't bother me, though some people don't like this. but we are not going to discuss that here again)

targets 2-3 bucks

you're now at about 45.00 bucks total

gun rentals are 10.00 w/ one exchange so think of renting a 22 and blaze away with cheap ammo. particularly if NJ has never shot before. god knows i'm not saying a .22 is all she can handle but you want this to be a positive exp so let her build up to something w/ more pop.

so stay out of the Biltmore this week and don't order pizza or cheesestix and come down and have fun at the range.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hellerkitty372.jpg

sidestreet

imported post

scarletwahoo,

I'd offer to take you to Rivanna Rifle and Pistol club, but it's not really in Richmond. It's in Charlottesville, about an hours drive from the West End.

Beautiful place, Indoor/Outdoor ranges, Clubhouse, even Archery, most of all... great folks! Use your own ammo. Memberships are $100.00 a year, $75.00 if you live outside of a 75 mile radius, guest= FREE!!! Cost of going to shoot there = Quarter to half tank of gas (about 75 miles one way) and whatever you bring with you.

Look it up, http://www.rrpc.org,My family and I are planning to go to the event at Fuddruckers Sat. evening. I'll check back here if you're interested.

sidestreet

imported post

Hey TEX1N, the link to r.s.v.p. isn't working for me. I'm planning onbringing the wife and two kids (16 & 7). Can you help me get in touch? Howmay I help?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sidestreet wrote:
Hey TEX1N, the link to r.s.v.p. isn't working for me. I'm planning onbringing the wife and two kids (16 & 7). Can you help me get in touch? Howmay I help
It is not a link, it is an email address.

Simply address(type correctly) an RSVP as directed and you've done it. :)

Yata hey

TEX1N

imported post

sidestreet wrote:
Hey TEX1N, the link to r.s.v.p. isn't working for me. I'm planning onbringing the wife and two kids (16 & 7). Can you help me get in touch? Howmay I help?
I just sent you a PM. :)

For everyone else, if you don't have plans for tomorrow I would highly recommend trying to make this event!!!

sidestreet

imported post

TEX1N and Grapeshot,

Thanks for all of your help, I typed in every way I could think of, including using the link that Mike put in on the new thread, and I still get an "error" message.

Any how, I just called Senator Cuccinelli's office (thanks for the phone #, Mike!) and rsvp'd with Travis, offering my help, and pledged to be a $100.00 sponsor.

Ireally look forward to seeing you guys. I'm planning on wearing my new VCDL ballcap and poloshirt that I bought from Skidmark and Grapeshot last week at the gun show...PROUDLY!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Everytime there is an outing or something as awesome as this I have to work!:banghead:

Either you played hooky from work or somehow managed to get out of it - 'cause
I have pictures of you there. For a small contribution those picyures can be made to go away:lol:.

Here are all the pictures from the Heller Victory Party. http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/vaskidmark/Heller%20Victory%20Party/

Thanks again to Sen. Ken Cuccinelli for hosting it.

stay safe.

skidmark

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://the.virginianfederalist.com/2008/07/kc4ag-heller-party.html

Saturday, July 19, 2008
KC4AG Heller Party

Senator Ken Cuccinelli (SD37) gathered friends and supporters at Fuddruckers in Richmond this afternoon for a victory celebration of DC v. Heller the recent 2nd Amendment Supreme Court decision. A large group of Virginia Citizens Defense League members were in attendance (most armed). The average number of weapons per person was higher than average for a political event, adding to the jaunty 2nd amendment atmosphere.

(A great interview by James Taranto with attorney Alan Gura, who worked together at Sidley & Austin in Washington D.C. and was a debate partner of Senator Cuccinelli, who took this case through to success before the Supreme Court is in Saturday's Wall Street Journal)
See more below the fold.

Senator Cuccinelli invited VCDL President Phil Van Cleave to make a few remarks to the gathering. Van Cleave noted "this is a good time for gun owners. We have changed the whole discussion and in many ways Virginia has led the way. Virginia led the way 200 years ago and it will lead today." A listener reminded the audience of the words emblazoned on the seal of Virginia: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Cuccinelli noted his interest in Heller around the issue of trigger locks. He observed that it was nice to know that any such legislation in Virginia would be dead on arrival. Another area of interest was the extensive 'keep and bear arms' and self defense history detailed in Justice Scalia's majority opinion. It is a reminder that there is a federal election this year. With only a 5-4 majority of justices for 2nd Amendment rights. As with pro-life issues, every Supreme Court and Appealate court appointment will be critical to the law. The appointment and confirmation of sound judges will be more and more important as the assault on the constitution proceeds.

An important aspect of Justice Scalia's opinion was the recognition that the right to self-defense predated the constitution and that the governments exists to protect those rights. The right to self-defense is a fundamental human right.

Cuccinelli noted that we can see in the next few years that there will be a changeover of the judges. Supreme Court case law precedents do get overturned. The battle is not won or lost at a single case but it goes on forever.

He also remarked that it is worth noting, the (Heller) decision was quite narrow. Alan Gura will be able to make a career out of this. There will be lots of places in the country to work on this. If this is a fundamental right as suggested in the opinion, the language of Heller suggests government restrictions on this right should receive strict scrutiny. The narrow decision is a strong victory. The small items which we may worry about are in the dicta, non-binding. The boundaries of this will be set later, and probably not in Virginia. The Virginia environment in the last 15 years has improved.

In other comments Senator Cuccinelli referred the audience to a YouTube capture of Senator Dick Saslaw (SD35)on the floor of the Virginia Senate expressing his opinion that property rights just do not belong in the Virginia Constitution. A must see to believe.

By the way Senator Cuccinelli is running for Attorney General to succeed Bob McDonnell. The nominee is to be selected at a state convention next year. Senator Cuccinelli is recruiting delegates supporting his nomination for the convention in 09. If you are interested in signing up to be a delegate or to help Senator Cuccinelli's AG campaign see his campaign website.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
T Dubya wrote:

Either you played hooky from work or somehow managed to get out of it - 'cause
I have pictures of you there. For a small contribution those picyures can be made to go away:lol:.

Here are all the pictures from the Heller Victory Party. http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/vaskidmark/Heller%20Victory%20Party/

Thanks again to Sen. Ken Cuccinelli for hosting it.

stay safe.

skidmark
Funny thing about that, I went to work and they asked why I was there. It seems that I had picked that day to be off back in 2007 and I forgot all about it. I'm sure they had a little laugh about that, but at least I was already up early and ready to start my day.