• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macey's Grocery Store

scorpioajr

imported post

Singlestack wrote:
Has anyone have oc'ed in a Macey's Grocery Store? If so.. what were y'alls encounters?

Ok, I have not been to a MACY's, but I frequest the Smiths in Eagle Mountain/Saratoga Springs probably no LESS than once a week. i always OC. Not 1 person has said anything. I have walked by famillies, mothers, daughters, children, babies, fathers, etc...No dirty looks, no spoken ignorance.

ps- i DO get VERY nervouse when i check out though, there is a bank in the smiths that seems to be positioned directly at the entrance. Am I still cool to OC if there is a Bank in the Grocery store?

GooD Luck.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

do it and let us know :lol:

I haven't done it there but in Smiths, Albertsons, Harrisville Walmart, and Harmons

Just remember the places the law does not allow you to go with a firearm, as for all other places you can peacefully carry a firearm to defend yourself.

Don't forget the Utah gun laws pamphlet for reference, and recorder if you have one, and be polite

Singlestack

imported post

Didn't make it to the Macey's today here in Tooele, but I did go to Walmart... got a few oogles, but nothing dramatic. Not even a word was spoken to me. So for my first OC event, it was rather eventless.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

My wife and I have openly carried in the Spanish fork Macey's without incident.

scorpioajr wrote:
ps- i DO get VERY nervouse when i check out though, there is a bank in the smiths that seems to be positioned directly at the entrance. Am I still cool to OC if there is a Bank in the Grocery store?
There are no laws against carrying in a bank, I do it all the time.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
My wife and I have openly carried in the Spanish fork Macey's without incident.
One of the times without Sarge, just me and the kids I had an older couple just stare and seemed to be following me or (watching me). They kept there distance, maybe I should have went up to them and talked to them. :shock: There is always next time!:quirky

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Singlestack wrote:
Didn't make it to the Macey's today here in Tooele, but I did go to Walmart... got a few oogles, but nothing dramatic. Not even a word was spoken to me. So for my first OC event, it was rather eventless.

Thats how my first one was...

and most of them are,

but congrats on breaking that barrier :monkey

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

scorpioajr wrote:

GooD Luck.
I'm fairly amazed that anyone would engage in any conduct involving a firearm that he did not KNOW, with certainty, was legal.

It is one thing to ask for assistance in advance. Even then, I'm pretty keen on personally verifying any advice I get on the internet by checking the cited statutes or court precedence BEFORE making any potentially life altering decisions. "Some guy on OC.org" is just not going to hold any weight in a court room.

I might even see looking back at a single experience and wondering if it was (and/or is currently) legal.

But to be routinely be doing something that you are not personally, 100% sure is legal?!??!!?

Do you have any idea how easy it is, when carrying a gun, to commit the kind of crime that will bar you from EVER owning or even legally touching a gun again for the rest of your natural life?

To run around not sure of the law is either crazy, grossly irresponsible, or begging to spend a couple of inheritances trying to get the next Heller ruling.

PLEASE, get educated BEFORE you head out into public. The last thing you (or the larger OC/RKBA community needs is for someone to do something illegal and end up on the evening news as the new (criminal) poster boy for OC.

Take a concealed permit course from a reputable instructor like Clark Aposhian, Mitch Vilos, or others. Even if you never want a permit, the instruction on off limits locations is invaluable.

At the very least, pick up a copy of Vilos' book, "Utah Gun Laws: The Good, the bad, adn the ugly" and read and digest it before heading out.

Friends, OCing is NOT a game. It is deadly serious and those who presume to run around without a firm, solid knowledge of the legal limits and requirements are not doing themselves or the rest of us any favors.

No disrespect intended, but please, THINK about the consequences of your actions.

Charles

Singlestack

imported post

Mr Utbagpiper made a comment that has not kept me in the dark from Oc'ing, but rather chose NOT to OC because I was uninformed.

" Friends, Oc'ing is not a game....No disrespect intended, but please, THINK about the consequences of your actions. "

It is because of that, and because of my coworker turning me onto this website, that I have waited to OC before now. Hell, I have never even carried a firearm into a bank. Reason, because I konw that Ignorance is no excuse of the law.

Cop: Why did you bring your gun into the bank?

me: cause I thought it was legal!

Cop: well, son, it's not.. here I have some matching braclets for you

me: DEE DEE DEE

That scenario played over and over in my head, cause I honestly thought for some reason that it was illegal to carry a firearm into a bank. Glad to know I was wrong all along, but made the right choice ( in my mind ) to not test it without prior knowledge.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Singlestack wrote:
Mr Utbagpiper made a comment that has not kept me in the dark from Oc'ing, but rather chose NOT to OC because I was uninformed.

" Friends, Oc'ing is not a game....No disrespect intended, but please, THINK about the consequences of your actions. "

That scenario played over and over in my head, cause I honestly thought for some reason that it was illegal to carry a firearm into a bank. Glad to know I was wrong all along, but made the right choice ( in my mind ) to not test it without prior knowledge.

Exactly. Always err on the side of caution when it comes to what is legal or not. If in doubt of what is legal, DON'T do it until you are sure. Sure enough to cite chapter and verse.

EVERYONE who carries a gun needs to KNOW the LAWS that govern such conduct. This is NOT like parking a couple of feet too close to a fire hydrant, intersection, or railroad track. It is NOT like cracking a speed limit by a couple MPH, or letting the weeds in your yard get a couple of inches too tall.

There are no "fix it tickets" for violating gun laws. There are not very many "minor" violations. The most minor of violations involving a gun can cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees just to avoid jail time. Many fairly minor crimes become felonies (with automatic, nearly impossible to reverse LIFETIME loss of RKBA) if there is a gun anywhere within spitting distance.

Ok, maybe a BIT of hyperbole there, but not much.

KNOW the law. Take a carry class from Clark or Mitch or some other instructor and get to the know the law. Spend some time reading Mitch's book, "Utah Gun laws: good bad and ugly." Spend some time researching and reading actual Utah code. It is easy to access via the legislative web page at www.le.state.ut.us.

But know the law. AND THEN carry with true confidence.

Charles

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not sure which side of this isle I stand on, but here's another point of view from Tactical Response instructor James Yeager: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/169

Selections:
The incident essentially occurred like this: Rob went out on the lake with his daughter and two other adults, launching his boat from a public ramp. The murderer apparently waited all day at the ramp for Rob to return. The murderer approached, there was an altercation of sorts, and he fired two rounds from a .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk and then walked in and did a contact shot to Rob’s head.
gunfight rule number one as being “Bring a gun.” Owning a gun doesn’t make you safe.
It is true though that many shooters do not carry a gun everyday. There are certainly reasons not too, but I cannot think of one reason that is worth dieing over. Rob would have been carrying illegally. Was that why he wasn’t armed?
you are very likely to think carrying your gun is a burden, will get you in trouble, or won’t be needed.

What good is a fireman without water? All of that knowledge and skill goes to waste as the building burns in front of him. Guns are like fire extinguishers. You hope you never need one, but when you do you want the biggest damn fire extinguisher you can pick up.

I have lost sleep over this. I have cried over this. I have gotten angry over this. How do I reach people? How do I motivate them enough to save their own life?
A good man is dead.

Be alert. Be armed.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

asforme wrote:
Not sure which side of this isle I stand on, but here's another point of view from Tactical Response instructor James Yeager: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/169

Selections:
It is true though that many shooters do not carry a gun everyday. There are certainly reasons not too, but I cannot think of one reason that is worth dieing over. Rob would have been carrying illegally. Was that why he wasn’t armed?
you are very likely to think carrying your gun is a burden, will get you in trouble, or won’t be needed.

Be alert. Be armed.

Particularly in a public forum I cannot and will not suggest anyone violate the law. We should all be involved politically and socially in lawful efforts to change the law to remove restrictions on the ability to lawfully defend oneself.

I would suggest, however, that if one is going to violate the law only for the moral intend of saving his or another innocent life, he might be well advised to take reasonable measures to avoid being detected violating said law. IOW, OC is probably not a really good option for anyone who has made the determination to carry in contradiction of some law, rule, or regulation. Which means that any discussion of carrying in violation of the law is off-topic on an OC board.;)

Charles

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Very true, with OC you need to be hyper aware of the laws. I'm not advocating anything, I follow the laws and don't have a CC permit yet. I just think it's sad that people have to make the decision to either obey the laws or be ready to save their own lives, and I certainly don't fault those who have evaluated the situation and decided to take the risk of going to jail over the risk of dieing.

While I don't advocate breaking the law, I will say that if you are unsure of the law it is best to have a CC permit so that even if you do choose to continue carrying in an area you are not sure about, you can switch to CC and avoid trouble.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

asforme wrote:
While I don't advocate breaking the law, I will say that if you are unsure of the law it is best to have a CC permit so that even if you do choose to continue carrying in an area you are not sure about, you can switch to CC and avoid trouble.
Yet again, I will emphasize the need to KNOW the law. Then, if someone makes an informed choice to discretely and completely peacefully violate an unenforced gun ban (really bad idea trying to go through a metal detector or pat down while illegally carrying) in some location, I will leave that between himself, his conscious, and if found out what I hope would be a fully informed jury. That said, I would never count on a jury in this day and age nullifying a gun ban.

Given the serious consequences of most gun related violations, I believe one should KNOW the law and make fully informed decisions. Not being sure is not making a fully informed decision. For example one might be willing to risk an infraction or even a misdemeanor for violating a gun ban, but would consider a felony too high a risk. Well, how do you know whether a particular area carries a felony or infraction level penalty if you are not even sure whether guns are banned?

Indeed, this is one reason I oppose giving ANY legal weight to gun ban signs on private property. First come the signs, then comes legal weight, and with every violation (intended or otherwise) comes pressure to ramp up the penalty. And as with EVERY gun law, NO penalty will be high enough to dissuade those willing to risk a capital offense for a crime like felony murder, but most anything more than a $25 infraction is grossly disproportionate for an otherwise law abiding and peaceful gun owner who honestly missed a sign, or simply decided his life was worth more that day than adherence to some misguided and bigoted policy.

Charles