• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macey's Grocery Store

goosemama

imported post

I go into stores frequently (Maceys, WalMart, Costco, Smiths, you name them) and have never had anyone stop me because I was OC. I simply do my shopping, ask what questions I need if I can't find something, pay for my purchases and leave. I was waiting in line at the Clinton WalMart to check out one evening and did have a LEO behind me. He was just curious on what I carried and how I liked it. He was a very nice young man and we had a great conversation.

I think a lot of it has to do with your actual body language and demeanor. If I was to go out and about with 4 guns a-strappin and a belt full of extra mags (NO OFFENSE TJ!! - I LOVE YOU JUST AS YOU ARE), then I would expect a little extra attention thrown my way. I DO love the extra attention I get when I have the goose with me, but not when I OC. Another observation, I am of the "softer" sex (LOL - SOFT MY ASS) and most people don't expect to see a woman OCing and it does come as a shock to some.I expected that when I started OC. I just stay polite, answer their questions as best I can, refer them to the website and let them know when the meetings are so they can become educated. I figure that's all I can really do.

swillden

imported post

goosemama wrote:
Another observation, I am of the "softer" sex (LOL - SOFT MY ASS) and most people don't expect to see a woman OCing and it does come as a shock to some.
I think that probably helps you to have uneventful OC days. Right or wrong (and, statistically, it's mostly right) the perception is that women are less likely to be a physical danger to those around them, so people might be a little more surprised to see a woman carrying but I think they're also a lot less scared.

That's why I really love to hear of women who OC. You can help make our point and support our rights, with significantly less risk of upsetting people or being hassled.

I haven't been bothered much myself (and never by LEOs), but I notice that the two occasions where I was hassled a bit were both times when I was alone. I think being with my wife or my kids adds the "Oh, a family man" vibe to the "Weirdo with a gun" vibe and the "Well-groomed, nicely-dressed guy" vibe and the net effect is "Strange but not scary". Which is exactly what I'd prefer.

In fact, lately I've taken to concealing when I'm alone. I'd rather people see the "family man with a gun" rather than the "man with a gun". Less chance of upsetting them.

goosemama

imported post

I know what you mean. When I'm out and about on business, I CC. When I just have errands to run and stuff to do, I OC.

I do have a question. I have a .9mm XD. The current holster I have is a left handed paddle and I hesitate to OC when I ride my motocycle. I don't want to the gun to "pop-out" and get lost on the road. Do you have any suggestions on a brand or type of holster that I can get so I can OC. The gun does me no good when it's in the trunk of my bike. I would also have to get one for my husband. His is a .40 XD.

This stuff gets rather expensive when you have to buy double of each. 2 Goldwings, 2 guns and accessories, etc.,3 horses. Luckily we only have 1 dog, 1 catand 1 pet goose.

swillden

imported post

goosemama wrote:
I do have a question. I have a .9mm XD. The current holster I have is a left handed paddle and I hesitate to OC when I ride my motocycle. I don't want to the gun to "pop-out" and get lost on the road. Do you have any suggestions on a brand or type of holster that I can get so I can OC.
I'm sure you're going to get a chorus, here... but I'll be the first:

Blackhawk CQC Serpa

It's what I carry my XD9 in, too.

Great holster, and great retention. As long as nothing pushes the button on the side, the gun CANNOT come out. Even if something does push the button, there's an adjustable retention screw that lets you set how tightly the holster grips the gun.

EDIT: Oh, and pushing the button is a very natural part of a normal draw stroke, so the gun does come out easily when you want it to. Just extend your index finger to push the button, then pull. It leaves your trigger finger alongside the gun, exactly where it ought to be until you're ready to put it inside the trigger guard. Great design.