• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just for fun

Eeyore

imported post

I was thinking about the reputation/image and market position of various handgun companies (automatics, mostly) and comparing them to those of car makers. Hmmm...automatic and automobile....coincidence?

I'm not trying to insult anyone's choice of gun (or car). This was just an interesting mental exercise. Here's my analogies and reasons for choosing them. Feel free to suggest your own.

Glock: Toyota. Best selling importfor its high quality in the mid-price arena, but not everyone loves them. [Toyotas have been recently redesigned to look less stodgy; Glocks haven't. :p]

XD: Honda. Best selling importin the mid-price market; practical and high quality. The new XDm is like Acura--a sexed-up Honda at a BMW price.

Sig and H&K: BMW and Mercedes. (Take your pick on which is which.) High quality, precision German engineering with luxurious feel, high performance,and a price tag to match. I want one, but can't justify spending that much.

Bersa: Subaru. Well thought of in its niche market, but a relatively small player overall.

Taurus: Hyundai. Economical; still trying to prove they've solved theirquality problems.

Kimber: Cadillac. Big american metal competing with BMW and Mercedes in the high end of the price spectrum. Building a classic with new twists.

Springfield Armory and S&W 1911s: Buick. Same chassis as the Cadillac, but less fancy.

ParaOrdnance 1911s: Chevy. A slightly lower-priced Buick.

Steyr: Saab. European maker with only afew models. Not the first name you'd think of when asked to name a European sports sedan, but there's nonconformists out there who love their quirks.

Beretta: Alfa Romeo? Unique Italian designs--interesting and sporty, butmaybe priced higher than their market share or reliability justifies.

Ruger: Chrysler minivans. Big and practical, but nothing sexy about them. Rugers are probably more reliable than Chryslers, though.

Smith & Wesson: Ford. Been around since the beginning, and their product line covers the entire spectrum. They've had their Pintos (Sigma) and Edsels over the years but they keep plugging along.

Colt: GMC. American steel, nothin' fancy.

CZ: At first I thought VW, but I own a VW and I wouldn't want to insult CZ by comparing them.:X Maybe pre-2005 Volvo--ugly but quietly good. The CZ100 is definitely boxy enough to be an oldVolvo.

Walther: Opel. Made in Germany, but the only way they sell in the U.S. is when an American company builds them under license. (S&W99 = P99. Some new Saturn models are rebadged Opels). On the other hand, they also build ultra-high performance competition target models. Like a Ferrari--great for what it was intended for, but totally impractical for day-to-day driving.

Kahr: Willys Jeep. Like the original WW2 Jeep, they're compact, simple, reliable, go-anywhere American-made machines.

Kel-tec: Kia. Cheap and small.

Magnum Research: The Desert Eagle is clearly a Humvee--huge, ugly,and totally impractical. It's all about being ostentatious. The Baby Eagle is like Nissan--muscular-looking and heavy, but not a market leader.

FNH: Land Rover.Rover is aEuropean company building refined SUVs--something pioneered by an American company. FNHbuilds refined Browning Hi-powers.

Tanfoglio: Fiat. Cheap, Italian, and not very pretty to look at. (In fact, the M88 and polymer-framed Witnesses are flat-out ugly.:p Probably more reliable than Fiats, though.)

Armalite: like when they built VW Beetles in Mexico during the 90s. Go to a "developing" nation to build someone else's olddesign cheaply using updated manufacturing methods. This might fit Stoeger, too.

Now that I've offended everyone, I'll stop. :D

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
Bersa: Subaru. Well thought of in its niche market, but a relatively small player overall.
Ruger: Chrysler minivans. Big and practical, but nothing sexy about them. Rugers are probably more reliable than Chryslers, though.

I happen to own a Subaru, and I happen to own a Ruger, and I'm not quite sure these comparisons are fair.

WhenI think Bersa, I of course think of the Thunder .380, which is a $200 subcompact. Contrast that with Subaru, which makes only one compact car (the Impreza); even the Forester, built on the same chassis, is a pretty full-size vehicle. And even the base models are $20k cars; they're a bit more expensive to start with because every Subaru has AWD and ABS brakes, which are luxury options if even available in comparable makes. The Bersa is no-frills, inexpensive, does the job; the Subaru has more than a few frills but given that is a great value. If I had to compare Bersa to a car company it would probably be Saturn; affordable, no-frills but comfy, get the job done small cars. I don't think I could compare Subaru to a gun make; maybe XDs (mechanically complex but rock-solid, competing with the Germans in the do-all role, two base models on which they build cars of all sizes)

As far as Ruger and Chrysler minivans, oh my god, I'll give you 5 seconds to retract that statement. Ruger P's... Ruger's the Jeep. American, overbuilt, blocky big-fenderedstyling, go-anywhere, feed it anything, inexpensive to buy, especially used, and repair it with bailing wire and chewing gum. Classic models can be used hard and put away wet for years; newer models need a bit more TLC between abuses. All of them have a certain aesthetic that fans like.

Now, their revolvers are a different story; I'd compare Ruger and S&W revolvers to Mustang vs Camaro (not sure which is which). Powerful (with varying block sizes), not much cargo space, easy on the eyes, and they come in many variations and levels allowing pretty high aesthetic and performance customization, but when stock they're very bare-bones as far as the little luxuries.

Michigander

imported post

Thanks for posting, that's funny stuff.:lol:

I agree, or at least don't know that I would take exception to everything but the Pinto and Sigma thing. Some of the older S&W auto's were known to be unreliable trash, but the Sigma's I'm told by a friend who has one is unfailingly reliable, and has a bad trigger, but I've read that's easy enough to fix.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Thanks for posting, that's funny stuff.:lol:

I agree, or at least don't know that I would take exception to everything but the Pinto and Sigma thing. Some of the older S&W auto's were known to be unreliable trash, but the Sigma's I'm told by a friend who has one is unfailingly reliable, and has a bad trigger, but I've read that's easy enough to fix.

Which S&W autos would those be? My 59 was built in the 70s and works perfectly.

thx997303

imported post

Hi-points could be considered Geos, if Geos weighed as much as a truck and sounded like a straight piped V8.

Michigander

imported post

Dr Fresh, it's not that good of evidence on my part, just gun shop talk and the link below, just hearsay really. But it's enough for me that I wouldn't trust anything they make besides the 1911's and the Glock knock offs. Plus, to be honest, I think their line of other auto pistols is even uglier than Hi Points.:what:

http://www.hkp7.com/NJSP.htm

Michigander

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hi-points could be considered Geos, if Geos weighed as much as a truck and sounded like a straight piped V8.

But will a Hi Point last for the gun equivilant of 250,000 miles?

thx997303

imported post

I don't know, I never even thought to figure an equivalent between miles and rounds.

Hmm, I guess we should figure out which gun out there lasts the longest, and figure how many rounds till they wear out.

Then figure the same thing for the gun that lasts the least amount of rounds.

Then we can use those figures to assign a number of rounds to 250,000 miles.

Then we can shoot a brand new Hi-point to that number of rounds, and see if it lasts.

Keeping in mind of course that some failures are to be expected, as with any car or gun.

But the main question will be if it needs to be melted down and turned into a different gun by then.

I have a HI-point, if someone would like to fund this study, I would be happy to shoot the free, er study ammo through it.

Someone else will have to do the mileage conversion research though.

I'm too lazy.:p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The difference between the Hi-Point and the Geo is that unlike the Geo, if the Hi-Point breaks they have a life time warranty and will be repaired or replaced as long as the manufacturer exists so the mileage comparison issue really doesn't apply. If GM put a new engine in your Geo for life if it blew up then we'd have something.

G

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
holeinhead wrote:
Haha, pretty good!

What about Hi-Points?

Hi-points are Geo's :p
I was gonna say that about my Pheonix. Cheap, small, Everyone thinks theyre trash, But I own both, and niether has left me stranded. (Geo has over 200k now.)