• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO Launches Texas Billboard Fundraiser

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

http://www.opencarry.org/billboard.html

OpenCarry.org needs your help! We plan to keep the pressure on in Texas by placing a billboard calling for Open Carry just outside the capitol where legislators and constituents will see it in the run-up to the 2009 legislative session.

We have a donor who has agreed to match all donations we receive dollar-for-dollar and Mike and I will be contributing personal money as well.

We need to raise $5,000 in order to get the billboard up and keep it there for for 2 months. If we can raise more, we will keep the billboard in place well into the legislative session.

All members who donate at least $10 to this effort will be recognized as "Activist Members" on the forum while all members who join Mike and I in donating at least $100 will be recognized as "Founder's Club Members".

EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR RAISED WILL BE USED FOR THIS PURPOSE ONLY!

Mike and I will be posting the current billboard ideas in a separate thread with a poll so that you can help us select from amongst the competing ideas.

PS. Those who wish to mail a check instead of using PayPal are welcome to do so. PM me and I will provide the address.

http://www.opencarry.org/billboard.html

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

ilbob wrote:
I don't live in TX but I can pony up $10 to help the cause there.
Thank you! With the number of members we have here, if everyone who is in a position to do so, contributes $10, we can achieve our goal in no time!

John

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I see my $10 was already incorporated in the total. Does this happen automatically, or do you have to add it up by hand? Just curious. Paypal has some cool stuff to help you manage this kind of thing.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

ilbob wrote:
I see my $10 was already incorporated in the total. Does this happen automatically, or do you have to add it up by hand? Just curious. Paypal has some cool stuff to help you manage this kind of thing.
Currently by hand. I was just on the ball. :cool:

But I am looking into the options for automation.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm curious... Do the totals on the donations page reflect the amount of "unmatched" donations, or the donations plus the matching amount?
I'm just wondering if we've raised $620 (as of now) or $1240?

-I know I'm probably reading too much into it-

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

That includes the matching donation. So ... we have raised $620.00.

jaredbelch wrote:
I'm curious... Do the totals on the donations page reflect the amount of "unmatched" donations, or the donations plus the matching amount?
I'm just wondering if we've raised $620 (as of now) or $1240?

-I know I'm probably reading too much into it-

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I need to add the new member levels and I am just about to get on a plane. I will have all users who donated recognized by tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all who have already donated!

Mike wrote:
jpierce wrote:
I was just on the ball.
Yeah, Yeah. If you were really on the ball, Ilbob would already be listed as an "Activist Member!"

thePirho

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Where will the billboard be? And will it go up as soon as the limit is reached or will there be a particular date set for the start and finish of it? I think once the government isn't taking a break would be the best time for it to go up.

And youv'e got my 10 dollars.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

thePirho wrote:
Where will the billboard be? And will it go up as soon as the limit is reached or will there be a particular date set for the start and finish of it? I think once the government isn't taking a break would be the best time for it to go up.

And youv'e got my 10 dollars.
we are carfeully considering several prime locations near Austin, most likley right on I-35. Assuming we get the necessary support to get this bill board up and keep it up, John and I may try to hold press conferences in Austin with legislators favorable to decriminalizing open carry - and Texas gun owners will be invited - presumably, open carry might be allowed if we are on private property but that will take some legal clarification.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Add another $10 to the pot
Thanks! Keep the donations coming! As soon as we have this seed money, we are going to launch.

John is busy this weekend smoozing at Hamline Law School - once he is done and updates the Lori-Meter we will see where we are - and, all the member donation monikers will show up on the discussion thread.