• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How open carry prevents violent crime

gamestalker

imported post

according to stats provided by the fed. gov.overall violent crime in states allowing open carry drops on avergae by 18%. This includes a drop of 32% in robbery, 21% drop in homicide. I'm convinced if more people were to exploit their weapons in a respectful and responsible manner of OC, we would see an even more dramatic drop in violent crime. But in a modern society it is becoming less acceptable and the notion that its not necessry iswinning popularuty the result of ignorance.

gamestalker

lostone1413

imported post

I many times open carry. But with me if you see me open carry a gun you can bet I have another gun you won't see. I believe you should with your open carry also have a gun concealed.

gamestalker

imported post

Icompletely agree with that method for obvious reasons that go way beyond just prevention. The ability to defend our selves is always going to be the primary reason for any type of carrying. Open is just one of the helpful deterrent's in this process, as you've paraphrased. And whereOC isn't appropriate, CC is definitely thebest choice in my opinion.

gamestalker

Amendment 2

imported post

gamestalker wrote:
according to stats provided by the fed. gov. overall violent crime in states allowing open carry drops on avergae by 18%. This includes a drop of 32% in robbery, 21% drop in homicide. I'm convinced if more people were to exploit their weapons in a respectful and responsible manner of OC, we would see an even more dramatic drop in violent crime. But in a modern society it is becoming less acceptable and the notion that its not necessry is winning popularuty the result of ignorance.

gamestalker

Just curious I'm from utah and I was wondering if you had a link or copy of those sats would like to post that on our forum.

just FYI im coming to scottsdale in two weeks very excited i love arizona very freindly firearm state. :celebrate

gamestalker

imported post

Hey there Amendment2,

Those stats came from the FBI. I found them on there web site while researching federal firearm laws. So if you look there I'm certain you'll find those stat facts. And hey, I hope you enjoy your visit to Arizona.

gamestalker

Amendment 2

imported post

gamestalker wrote:
Hey there Amendment2,

Those stats came from the FBI. I found them on there web site while researching federal firearm laws. So if you look there I'm certain you'll find those stat facts. And hey, I hope you enjoy your visit to Arizona.

gamestalker

sweet thanks oh ya i always love arizona

kenpoprofessor

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
I many times open carry. But with me if you see me open carry a gun you can bet I have another gun you won't see. I believe you should with your open carry also have a gun concealed.

Ditto, I keep a P3AT BUG in my pocket when I OC. I'm also very aware of my weapon, and I try to keep it contacted with my arm in places around people and I can't watch my environment well enough.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

gamestalker

imported post

Hey, speaking of keeping contact with your weapon, I had a very disturbing incounter with a child a couple of days ago in the grocery store. I was walking down an isle when this 7 or 8 yr. old girl stopped me with her arms spread out and said" You can't go by until you pay me $1. " being a Father of 6 and now a Grand parent of 7, I was light spirited about it and said, " sweetheart, please let me go by so I can finish my shopping"knowing that kids aren't alwaystaught good behavioral habitsor taught to respect others. As I expected she refused to step aside so I politely got her Mother's attention and said, Excuse me Mam, would you please ask your daughter to step aside and let me finish my shopping", she turned and yelled at the top of her lungs at the chilsd cursing and making a huge scene and the child finally stepped aside while being jerked out of the way by Mom. Wow, I thought, this lady really needs to take some anger management classes at the very least. Well when I finished my shopping I was standing in line to check out, and out of no where this child appears with both hands on my firearm trying desparately to pull it out of my holster which is very secure. I grabbed her by the arm with one hand while keeping my firearm from being loosed from the holster with the other and this time demanded with a firm voice that this woman control her child. I said mam get your child now before I call the police on you for failing to control her. She instantly responded by accusing me of putting my hands on her child and said, on no, you don't touch my daughter! I got pissed at this point and said Mam, she is trying to grab my firearm and your not doing your job of preventing this, get her now, now! All the while I'm struggling with the kid to keep her from getting my gun out. Give me that gun, I want to shoot you with it. Let me have it now, right now, I want it. This kid was totally out of control and the woman wouldn't budge and do anythoing to stop this kid. SoI did what was necessary to prevent a potential tragedy and firmly removed her hands from the gun and yelled at the woman to be a parent and come get her child or the next thing she hears will be an officer reading her rights to her! She finally grabbed the kid and walked out of the store leaving her basket of groceries behind! When I walked outside after paying for my groceries she was standing by the front door arguiing with the kid about and physically trying to stop her from going back into the store to get the gun. She saw me, the kid, and tried to grab for the gun again and this time I straight armed her and said don't you dare touch me or my gun again young lady or your Mom will go to jail! She stopped in her tracks and didn't say another word. Game over!

What the hell is wrong with parents these days? My kids were normal children, but they would have never pulled anything like that ever for fear they would get their asses blistered.

And regarding a concealed weapon, this would have been an appropriate time to have cc my weapon. Oh ya, I'm disabled and use a cane and nearly found myself on the ground several times while trying to stop this child!

gamestalker

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gamestalker wrote:
What the hell is wrong with parents these days? My kids were normal children, but they would have never pulled anything like that ever for fear they would get their asses blistered.

gamestalker
Gamestalker, you answered your own question. Parents are not allowed to blister little hienies for bad behavior, anymore. Now we are experiencing the results of that.

gamestalker

imported post

You know what I can't understand is why the public schools are allowed to use physical discipline, the paddle, but as parents we cn't. Regardless of the fact that ifwe have to give the public schools permission to use the paddle on our kids, what makes them the more appropriate persons to administer physical discipline? I've never allowed them to touch my kids, but you can bet that my kids were never ones to tell on us for using the paddle on their butts! In fact back in the 1980s a neighbor called CPS on my wife and I after peeking over our fence seeing us spank our son with the paddle. When we responded to the order to report to the local CPS office they asked my kids about the incident and my kids all stood by us and answered that we do spank them and only on their butts as the good Lord intended. We never heard another word about it from the CPS. And our neighbor got a good talking to by the local PD for violating our privacy! because our kids were quite well behaved and disciplined I never had issues with them touching the firearms in the house. They knew where they were and now that they are grown adults I've asked each of them about that and they have all told me the truth, they never touched them or even thought about it!

gamestalker

protector84

imported post

Adults and children both are so out of control these days that it really is scary. I am actually considering eventually carrying a pair of handcuffs in case I need to do a citizens' arrest. This is not something I look forward to but obviously people have to learn the hard way. In that case, I would tell the mother that if she doesn't control her child immediately, I would arrest her and then proceed with detaining her if necessary.

I had a case in a coffee shop where I was standing in line to order and then later at the pick-up counter waiting while a small child was running back and forth totally uncontrolled. The parent who was about 300 pounds was too lazy and fat to get up and control her kid. I didn't really pay much attention to the kid as I was just trying to tune the situation out. Just as I'm getting my coffee and leaving the store, the kid accidently crashes right into the gun and it looked like the kid's head had bumped into it. The kid suddendly realized "gun" as did the stupid mother and both of their faces turned completely white. As I walked out, I said "I bet next time you remember to control your kid."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Anyone lays hands upon my firearm will get hurt... Right Now. 'Don't matter the size or age. That weapon is my responsibility... as is my own safety and the safety of others. This ain't academic. Momma put you in a very bad position. Incredible.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gamestalker wrote:
according to stats provided by the fed. gov. overall violent crime in states allowing open carry drops on avergae by 18%. This includes a drop of 32% in robbery, 21% drop in homicide. I'm convinced if more people were to exploit their weapons in a respectful and responsible manner of OC, we would see an even more dramatic drop in violent crime. But in a modern society it is becoming less acceptable and the notion that its not necessry is winning popularuty the result of ignorance.

gamestalker

Please cite. Telling me that you're sure I'll find them myself doesn't cut it here on OCDO.

gamestalker

imported post

I don't really understand your message? Would you kindly elaborate just a little bit. Not as elaborate or in depth as I get, just a bit more clarity. Thanks.

gamestalker

gamestalker

imported post

I totally understand and couldn't agree more. It puts a great deal of emphasis on the responsibility of carrying a firearm, CC or OC. Along with maintaining control of our weapons at all times, it is also our responsibility to defend those in grave or life threatening circumstances. Though we are not all trained law enforcement officers, we still have accepted some primary responsibilities just by putting on that loaded firearm, and it should definitly be loaded or wehave a whole new problem.

Regarding that, last night I was at my oldest Son's home for a barbeque pool partyj in which a couple of his close friends attended. As son as I arrived one of his friends asked me " that gun isn't loaded right?" I looked at him and really didn't know quite how to reply but said, why wouldn't it be? Well, why would you need to carry a loaded gun, isn't just carrying one enough of a deterent? I proceeded to give him a little education about the reasons, all of them. Why would I even consider intimidation when the circumstances, could, and considering the fact that I'm OC, will probably mean I'll have to use it in most circumstances. I, rather we, carry for more reasons than just self defense. If an individual isn't capable of accepting and enforcing those responsibilities they probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm, for their safety and that of others as well!

I get a few people that ask me if they can hold my gun to look at it. Not a chance, not in a million years. So ya, don't ever, ever touch my firearm or you'll walking on thin ice that just broke through!

gamestalker

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've had people ask... 'Can I see that?'Some have added... "I carried one just like that in the (service). No way! It never leaves the holster.It never will.

gamestalker

imported post

hey marshaul, I have that web site for you. Go to: www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1531733/posts and you'll find the FBI report. Scroll down to the 5th topic called CRIME and you'll see 'The FBI reports, bla, bla, bla and so on. I think my numbers are slightly different than whatthe report states, but I wasclose.

gamestalker

gamestalker

imported post

There is also a bunch of other good information on that web site that reflects DOJ, FBI, and various other entities of government supporting RTC & OC,and how its helped to dramatically decrease violent crime.

Hey, just for the record, I'm an elderly man and would appreciate it if you would go a little easier on me. I'm not claiming to be some expert, or know all individual, and I don't intend to offend anyone. I may have some wisdom the result of growing old, but I certainly don't have all the answers.I also have a great deal of desire to continue learneing as much as possible if the younger generation is willing to teach me.To learn is to listen. I'm trying to listen so I can absorb from your intellect, but it must be with some form of constructive criticisim, not insults, or an offensive demeanor, as I sometimes feel is being projected. I'm inclined to think your a very intelligent person, which is why you might be a little impatient with me, it seems to be a common trait of those with above average intellect.

I'm actually a first timer with regard to blogging or what ever its referred to as. I realize your probably far more up to date with this computer stuff and I think that's great. But I'm not.

gamestalker