• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Briefly detained at a gun store of all places

RIAShooter

imported post

I just got back from the shooting range which is located here in Florence that I've been to a few times, walked-in oc'ing no problem, went into the range and shot off a few rounds.

As I was packing up I noticed a LEO walked into the gun store and sat down and was chatting with the owner, no problems. As I was walking out of the gun store the Erlanger police officer asked me if I was planning on walking out with a loaded, exposed pistol on my hip. I said yes sir is that a problem? He continued to tell me it was a problem, and while OC'ing itself wasn't illegal, I could be charged with inducing panic, (which thanks to this site, I know better), to which I said it would be thrown out, and probably with a mandatory 2nd amendment rights education class following it. He kept looking at my gun and my hands the whole time we were talking, though he didn't bother to even get out of his chair, I felt like :Ricky Bobby".

"http://www.youtube.com/v/QqhkdHlCHLk&hl=en&fs=1"

Well after he started rattling on againI just kept asking "Am I being detained?" "Am I free to go?" to which he answered yes but I had better be careful how I carried my pistol from now on. To which I answered "Always am."

Ha Ha I noticed quite a few police cruisers staying close to me as I was going home, oh well guess it's time to get a tape recorder.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe a thread title adjustment is needed.

I don't see that the OP was detained.

Treated poorly, yes. And still deserving of complaint. Detained, no.

superdemon

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
I just got back from the shooting range which is located here in Florence that I've been to a few times, walked-in oc'ing no problem, went into the range and shot off a few rounds.

As I was packing up I noticed a LEO walked into the gun store and sat down and was chatting with the owner, no problems. As I was walking out of the gun store the Erlanger police officer asked me if I was planning on walking out with a loaded, exposed pistol on my hip. I said yes sir is that a problem? He continued to tell me it was a problem, and while OC'ing itself wasn't illegal, I could be charged with inducing panic, (which thanks to this site, I know better), to which I said it would be thrown out, and probably with a mandatory 2nd amendment rights education class following it. He kept looking at my gun and my hands the whole time we were talking, though he didn't bother to even get out of his chair, I felt like :Ricky Bobby".

"http://www.youtube.com/v/QqhkdHlCHLk&hl=en&fs=1"

Well after he started rattling on againI just kept asking "Am I being detained?" "Am I free to go?" to which he answered yes but I had better be careful how I carried my pistol from now on. To which I answered "Always am."

Ha Ha I noticed quite a few police cruisers staying close to me as I was going home, oh well guess it's time to get a tape recorder.

Coming from an LEO, the tape recorder is ALWAYS a good idea.

Statesman

imported post

To all whom OC, I'd advise a Flip video camera from http://www.theflip.com/, instead of an audio camera. They are cheap, EASY to use, and quick to initialize for use (in case of harassment). Also, the embedded video software makes it easy to post to YouTube.

Perhaps a dedicated "OC Kentucky" YouTube channel may be necessary until our LEO are properly educated.

superdemon

imported post

What gets me is the number of gun stores I go into that have signs on them that say that no concealed/loaded weapons are allowed in the store.

Whatsupwiddat?

Brian D.

imported post

superdemon wrote:
What gets me is the number of gun stores I go into that have signs on them that say that no concealed/loaded weapons are allowed in the store.

Whatsupwiddat?

Probably because some irresponsible poltroon (customer or employee) negligently let off a round inside the place. I don't likeseeing rulesthat arereflective of the lowest common denominator of idiot, but if the store happens to have other businesses located close enough to be breached by those bullets, it may be a prudent course of action.

Personally I seem to fail tonotice such signage with alarming frequency...;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

superdemon wrote:

Whatsupwiddat?
That's to notify you that they primarily cater to hunters and have few if any services, supplies or stock for those who carry handguns for defensive purposes. ;)

Seriously though, I have seen signs like that on three different occasions and upon inquiring about the wording found out all 3 times that there is no objection to customers having a loaded, holstered firearm as long as the firearm did not leave the holster while in the store and unloading only applied if you were intending to unholster the firearm for any reason such as trying out holsters.

If people see such signage I would encourage them to unholster and/or unload as appropriate, go in and talk to them to find out what they really mean. If they really mean no holstered, loaded sidearms, period, then you have the opportunity to explain to them where the gun store that does not have such prohibition is located and that you will spend your dollars there instead.