• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visting Richomind

bradco

imported post

I wll be visiting Richmond the beginning of August, I never OC my dad lives there, and i have CT permit and PA non resident, I am assuming it is okay to OC there has anyone had problem in this town, are there areas to stay away from OCing,

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Check out some of the Richmond threads on this site. Generally Richmond isn't a problem for OC, and the cops certainly know it isn't illegal.

DO NOT carry (open or concealed) on the Virginia Commonwealth Univ. campus, or you will be in trouble. The VA law actually lists VCU as a forbidden place for CC, and the campus police will certainly hassle you for OC (though I don't think it is technically illegal). The foregoing applies only to campus buildings and grounds, not the city streets and sidewalks adjacent to universary property.

Enjoy your visit!

dbc3804

imported post

I have read this section several times and still can't see where it applies to those who are not students or employees of the university. (Not that I'm brave enough to test it :)) Is there somewhere above this section that makes it applicable to people who are not associated with the university?

Danny

bradco

imported post

I did not realize part of belonging to this site was that I had to be an English Major, if you can't help answer the question please do not respond.

SouthernBoy wrote:
Friendly hint. Punctuation.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bradco wrote:

I did not realize part of belonging to this site was that I had to be an English Major, if you can't help answer the question please do not respond.

SouthernBoy wrote:
Friendly hint. Punctuation.

You are correct. You do not have to be an English major to participate in this site. However, if you are seeking the assistance of others it is often better to follow the basic "rules" of good writing (including punctuation) so that anyone reading your post doest not have to struggle to decipher it.

Responding toa comment that suggests that the reader had difficulty responding to your original communication, because of difficulties you created, should not bedone with disdain or disrespect.

As for
are there areas to stay away from OCing
- you might want to check the local crime reports for the parts of town to avoid.

If you were asking if there are places where we locals are aware that OC-ing is not met with an open welcome or at least tolerance - most of that has been answered above. You should also check the VCDL website www.vcdl.org for their list of gun-unfriendly businesses.

I hope this has provided information that you find usefull. Please consider contacting us Richmonders via this forum when you arrive. We might consider a meet-up -- IF your attitude seems more friendly at that time.

stay safe.

skidmark

bradco

imported post

Never mind the question, and I am not looking for friends as the ones I do have do not try and put me down, if you call that an attitude so be it, I will not ask anything again on this site.

SFDoc

imported post

bradco wrote:
Never mind the question, and I am not looking for friends as the ones I do have do not try and put me down, if you call that an attitude so be it, I will not ask anything again on this site.
As my grandkids say "CHILL MAN" - As far as OCing in Richmond, stay away from any area that ends in the word Court or VCU/MCV property. The streets and sidewalks in the VCU/MCV area should be ok but VCU cops can sometimes be a bit of a pain and will sometimes try to push issues regardless of the law. They are use to dealing with mindless collage kids that know nothing about their legal rights.

As far as Richmond PD, they are aware that OCing is legal and those that OC are the good guys, so they normally don’t bother you. There are a few business / restaurants that are a no-go, but few and far between. Just check the doors for signs.

VCDL.org has a link to the state PD for gunlaws and a list of places that are not 2A friendly.

Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your stay.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
I have read this section several times and still can't see where it applies to those who are not students or employees of the university. (Not that I'm brave enough to test it :) ) Is there somewhere above this section that makes it applicable to people who are not associated with the university?

Danny

Danny - you are correct.

The issue comes from the fact that 8VAC90-10-50 is a poorly written statute. One sentence references "members of the university community" and the next sentence follows with "To that end, no person, yada yada yada..."

"To that end" is a little used phrase that is designed to carry on a point further. You could just as easily use the word "so" which entends the point.

The "no person" phrase references those members of the university community, i.e. teachers, students, employees.........

Jim

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

bradco wrote:
No one's putting you down, only trying to give a piece of friendly advice. How you take and use it is up to you.

Like it or not, people judge you on what and how you say things through your writing which I am sure you were taught in grade school. For the most part, you will find people on this site to be quite pleasant and helpful. Whether or not you chose to stay around and take advantage of what can be offered is your decision to take.

taurusfan

imported post

Bradco, there are lots of a'holes on this forum. I didn't find any problem with your English.

Open carry just draws attention to yourself it's not going to do you any good in Richmond. I've never seen anyone open carrying in Richmond.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

glockfan wrote:
Bradco, there are lots of a'holes on this forum.  I didn't find any problem with your English.

Open carry just draws attention to yourself it's not going to do you any good in Richmond.  I've never seen anyone open carrying in Richmond.

Isn't that a banning offense? :shock:

:p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
glockfan wrote:
Bradco, there are lots of a'holes on this forum. I didn't find any problem with your English.

Open carry just draws attention to yourself it's not going to do you any good in Richmond. I've never seen anyone open carrying in Richmond.

Isn't that a banning offense? :shock:

:p
I am totally against banning, when we can have so much fun with folks like glockfan.

BTW, glockfan - the Heller Victory Party is 4 - 6 PM tonight at Fuddrucker's Restaurant on the corner of Broad & Parham. Come on out, have a burger, and see scads of Richmond area folks Open Carrying. You will meet many who live, work, and play within the city limits of Richmond and can tell you of the many good things that OVC does for them.

stay safe.

skidmarkl

taurusfan

imported post

Maybe because I work full time for VCU I never see open carriers except the VCU police jerks. :D

ThunderRanch

imported post

Now now, we can't be going around giving Glockfan a hard time about not seeing people OC'ing in Richmond. After all, he's probably never seen a gun except his glock and most of the "smart" people OC'ing in Richmond carry "real" guns!:p

(Please note the satirical tone in the voice!!!:lol:)

Seriously, though, I have begun looking for others OC'ing and can honestly say I haven't seen the first one yet, but I know they're out there!

SFDoc

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
Now now, we can't be going around giving Glockfan a hard time about not seeing people OC'ing in Richmond. After all, he's probably never seen a gun except his glock and most of the "smart" people OC'ing in Richmond carry "real" guns!:p

(Please note the satirical tone in the voice!!!:lol:)

Seriously, though, I have begun looking for others OC'ing and can honestly say I haven't seen the first one yet, but I know they're out there!
Ya'll haven't been hanging out in the right places