• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ND at Wal-Mart

DocV

imported post

Negligent discharge at a Pensacola Wal-Mart. While I'm sorry someone was injured, this is the kind of incident that hurts our cause. Let's be careful out there!

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080712/NEWS01/807120321

A man accidentally shot himself in the leg Friday evening in the Wal-Mart on Pensacola Boulevard south of West Nine Mile Road, authorities said.

The Escambia County Sheriff's Office responded to the store about 9:20 p.m.
The man, whose identity was not available Friday evening, had a concealed-weapon permit, and the weapon accidentally discharged, a Sheriff's Office dispatch supervisor said.

The man was transported to West Florida Hospital. The extent of his injuries was not available Friday evening.

Wal-Mart officials would not confirm that a shooting occurred in the store and referred all questions to the company's home office in Arkansas.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Dumba$$ ... why was he touching his gun. More importantly why was he touching the trigger of his gun. :banghead:
I agree. When I carry I never touch my weapon only to adjust at times, but it is a nudge. There is no reason to remove the weapon from the holster while carrying. (maybe he was using Mexican carry)
This really sucks because Wal-Mart is OC friendly. I just hope this does not change anything.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
.......This really sucks because Wal-Mart is OC friendly.......
But only if the moon is in it's third phase of alignment; Venus passes the Sun resulting in a rare occultation of Regulus,while the Jupiter and Mars eclipticsrest in atypical node positions.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
.......This really sucks because Wal-Mart is OC friendly.......
But only if the moon is in it's third phase of alignment; Venus passes the Sun resulting in a rare occultation of Regulus,while the Jupiter and Mars eclipticsrest in atypical node positions.

:lol:

From what I read here on OCDO, Wal- Mart follows state laws concerning firearms. I guess some managers are not up to speed with this policy.

thx997303

imported post

(Lets out a large sigh)..........Wal-mart is lying to someone, or everyone.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/13432.html

The posted images are e-mails that were sent from Wal-mart's legal team to someone else in the company.

As you can see, these e-mails are very OC unfriendly and completely contradictory to Wal-mart being gun friendly.

We should not forget that Wal-mart is the company that started taping gun sales, and has given Wal-mart employees discretion on who they sell guns to.

Also, they are the ones that said if any gun you have purchased is traced by the ATF.
Not used in a crime, but traced by the ATF, then they would not sell you a gun.

That means that even if a gun you purchased at Wal-mart was stolen from you, then recovered by the police, Wal-mart would now refuse to sell a gun to you.

I don't know if this is still going on, but if it is, I believe that gun owners should boycott Wal-mart. Not just Open carriers, but gun owners.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Are you sure those messages are from the legal team and not just some Utah divisional manager or something that might himself be out of touch with the corporate policy?

thx997303

imported post

Uh, let me check.

moz-screenshot.jpg
It appears to be from The legal division at Corporate. As it was an e-mail about a Utah incident, and it came from Bentonville, I would have to say no.

thx997303

imported post

Eureka!

You actually may be right.

It appears this second one is from a regional guy.

It also appears that the research that the legal guy has done is inaccurate.

If you read the print just underneath the bulk of the message, you will see that he has put that Utah prohibits Open Carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looks like my comments on the article have generated a little bit of agreement.

After the woman at Sam's let her 4 year old grand-daughter get hold of her CC firearm and shoot herself and now this idiot shooting himself, Wal-Mart may indeed change their policy from following state law. While we talk about actively contacting them to allow carry I'm absolutely sure that these two incidents have led to hundreds if not thousands of letters and emails from antis asking them to ban carry in their stores.

WalMart is in business to make money. Period. The one who flexes the most economic effect on them wins. A couple of well publicized dumba$$e$ NDing in their stores sets back the tens of thousands who carry into Wal-Mart regularly when the letters from the soccer moms pour in asking why they let people carry guns in their stores.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well it looks like Walmart WAS OC friendly:cuss:. Yeah after this incident I would say the future looks bleak for us to OC in Wal-Mart anymore. With this S**t forbrainfool having a ND in the store, I wonder if it will have a wide range effect on public carry now.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Uh, let me check.

moz-screenshot.jpg
It appears to be from The legal division at Corporate. As it was an e-mail about a Utah incident, and it came from Bentonville, I would have to say no.
This letters appears to not address cooperate policy at all. It is a letter from the legal department answering the question as to whether or not they can legally ask someone carrying to leave. The legal team simply answered, yes it is legal. They did not address whether doing so would be a violation of policy or not.

Wheel

imported post

asforme wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Uh, let me check.

moz-screenshot.jpg
This letters appears to not address cooperate policy at all. It is a letter from the legal department answering the question as to whether or not they can legally ask someone carrying to leave. The legal team simply answered, yes it is legal. They did not address whether doing so would be a violation of policy or not.

+1. I was thinking exactly the same thing. You ask a lawyer a question, you get a legal answer. Sure, they can legally ask you to leave. However, if that violates company policy, the company can legally fire them.

The question is still, what is company policy, and does anyone have any proof of it?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have previously posted (although I don't remember if it was on OCDO) a letter from WalMart stating that their policy was to follow state law. I'm thinking it was dated circa '01-'02. I do not have a copy of it and I recall it took some time to find it in google as there are tons of hits regarding the matter.

nh92d

imported post

i used to work for wal-mart but never really learned the policys completely..though a neighbor still works for them,i should ask him to find out from one of the managers for me..

i'll reply back if i hear anything from him.