• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It happened at the gun show today

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While working the VCDL table at the gun show today, I had the chance to greet a lady who had just made her first gun purchase - and it was a toofer! :celebrate She had a nice stainless J-frame in some sort of generic nylon clip-on holster with a thumb break, and a rifle wrapped up in a nylon case. The rifle was to be for targert practice, and the revolver for self defense. She told us about the "absolute fun" she had at her last trip to the range, and about how she used to shoot her brother's BB gun back home in Jersey.

This woman stopped to look at the VCDL info (are YOU a member yet?) and within seconds of arriving at the table we (me & grapeshot, who had dropped by to pass some time) found out about her purchase and a bit about her background. She grew up in NJ, in a family that votes the straight Democrat ticket, and she said she had even voter for Jimmy Carter herself. She said she had votes straight DEmocrat ticket until the last election, but had changed her mind since then about a lot of things, including her politics.

More gabbing back and forth and we come to find out that she had not bought any ammo to go with her to gun purchases. She said she was not going to buy any ammo until her friends taught her how to clean the two guns, as she did not want to leave them "all dirty and messed up."

Well, grapeshot and I at just about the same time began discussing the merits of a holstered paperweight, and how althougfh it was good that she was going to be receiving more instruction from her friend, her handgun was going to be of little use to her if a need to defend herself arose between now and when her friend taught her how to clean it.

She mulled that over for about 4 seconds, said "You know, you are right!" and started back inside to pick up some ammo. Sue (the other VCDL table volunteer) had come back to the table just about that time, and offered to go in with her to help pick out ammo if she was not sure what to get. The lady said one of her friends was a dealer inside and would know what to buy.

Not 5 minutes later a smiling new gun owner came back to the table, held up her plastic bag, and told us she had gotten ammo for the rifle and the revolver. We chatted a bit more, she repeated that she had not thought before that a gun without ammo was pretty much useless, and thanked us for our assistance in making her day complete.

Made her day complete? I had a :Dfrom ear to ear for the rest of the afternoon, and still have it plastered on my face.

The only thing to add was the "dream" I had - that she went out to her car, opened up the box of ammo, and loaded her revolver and took it home that way.

Yep! All that happened at the gun show today. Oh, yeah. I got some beef jerky, too. :p

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
dbc3804 wrote:
Skidmark

The web site for the gun show has a no loaded guns - no exceptions message on it.

So you can't carry there?

Danny - you can carry, but it must be unloaded.

Jim
Show promotor's rules are 1) No loaded weapons (except LEOs) inside the building - this means you must clear your weapon(s) outside and since no safe unloading station is provided most visitors do so at their vehicle; 2) Local LEOs will examine your weapon to assure it is clear and zip tie the breach/ port/cylinder to restrict loading same then return weapon(s) to you. You may reload after leaving - again I suggest at or in your vehicle - be safe and discret.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Talk about thread hijacking! :shock:

Well, the weather report did say chance of showers, so I guess I should not be upset that there was a little rain on the parade. Such is life.

In spite of it all, I still maintain my :Dfrom yesterday. There is a new member of the gun fraternity/sorority out there - and best of all it is someone who "finally got it" after years of anti-ness.

You may now return to your whinging about gun show promoters' rules.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

New recruits (newbies), converstions, cross overs, former closet gun owners, et al are life blood of our movement - they provide the growth in numbers so demanded to have a positive impact on our goals. It happens one person at a time.

What was so amazing was to witness part of this epiphany first hand. This lady was so elated, so proud that she had made the decision and taken action to be responsible for her own safety that she HAD to tell someone - and she choose us! She walked right up to the VCDL table, told her story and listened to our suggestions and perhaps more important, took the advice offered.

No one brought her in hand to the show. Nobody led her from table to table. She showed no fear nor hesitation at her decision - she was in one word "empowered."
Will she need more instruction - yes and I have no doubt that she will acquire it - she is a woman on a mission - a force with which to be reckoned!

She was intelligent, articulate and poised and now much less likely to become a victim. A great day for all!

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Did she join the VCDL?
She took the information/application form with her and I believe that she signed up for the Va-Alerts.
Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Re: It happened at a gun show
What did you observe or particpate in at a gun show that would add to the positive experience reporting of this thread. A young couple talking about campus safety or a person showing the benefits of a retention holster to another perhaps.
Did you take the opportunity to tell them of the wealth of information availble on VCDL and OCDO? Share with us your positive observations.

I have long advocated that each VCDL member bring in one new member a year. This would effectively double the membership each year - VCDL would grow geometrically and there is political clout in numbers.

Yata hey

PS to Skidmark - this isn't highjacking, it's refinement. :)

AbNo

imported post

Hey, sounds pretty good.

I've enjoyed working the VCDL table over here in Harrisonburg. I've met some really good people this way.

PS: Skid, I see you're a fan of Max Cannon. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Hey, sounds pretty good.

I've enjoyed working the VCDL table over here in Harrisonburg. I've met some really good people this way.

PS: Skid, I see you're a fan of Max Cannon. ;)
He is Max Cannon!

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
What!? No way! :p

No, no, no! I am definately NOT Max Cannon.

I was the model, which Max had to tone down quite a bit, for Earl.

And I have on occasion been referred to as a loose cannon.

stay safe.

skidmark

sidestreet

imported post

Had a great time there Saturday with my little girl and meeting you guys, although I'd seen you before at the VCDL meetings at Tuckahoe and Topeka's.I came back to help at the table Sunday afternoon just like I said I would. I really love it. I just hopeI can make time to do it some more. I helped once before a couple of years ago, had a great time then. Thank you guys and Audrey (sp?) especially, I'll do a better job of helping you pack up next time. I ran into an old high school buddy of mine and just lost track of time. The good part is, he took an application with him and he's probably going to join, and that will be a major plus for us. He's a great guy and plenty smart (always has been!),and he's a real patriot!

I feel like I let us down a bit though, we had one of our members ask a question and although he seemed to like the answer I gave him, I've been kicking myself for not thinking of this first.

He said he has a friend who has a CHP, carries all the time, but refuses to join groups like ours because of his job (I think he said he sold real estate) and asked hisfriend (our member) "Why would you have your name out there, linked to a group of people like that?" The member wanted to know what he could say to his friend.

I told him that I understand both sides of that situation and for me, I realized one day that if I wanted fairness in the world, I would have to be willingto be fair, ifI wanted truth in the world, I'd have to be willingto tell it, IfI wanted love in the world, I'd have to be willing to give it.

Another of our members manningthe table said " If it weren't for groups of people like us, he likely wouldn't be able to legally carry a concealed handgun!" a GREAT response!!!

After more thought, I think I should have told him this, "Yeah, I'm sure some folks said the same thing about Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington and the rest of that 'group of people' that signed the Declaration of Independence, and your friend may realize one day that many, many good men and women have sacrificed their fortunes and laiddown theirlivesto preserve therights that he has enjoyed unto this day, and so for those who have fallen,I feel honored and obligated to stand up, becauseI have pondered thatingratitude mightjust bethe greatestunmentioned sin, and that gratitude sometimes requires much more than lip service or just saying 'Thanks".

We are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

sitedzn

imported post

sidestreet wrote:
"Why would you have your name out there, linked to a group of people like that?"

Are you kidding me? My boss actually had it put onto our company website as an affiliation under my bio! Everyone else has stuff like ASCE, Urban Land Institute, etc. - things that actually pertain to our jobs. I guess since I didn't belong to any of those, he thought it would be a good idea to put VCDL in there.

I didn't believe him when he told me, but sure enough it's there!

dhdac

imported post

Is the gun show a good place to buy a first gun from a private seller? Also how do I make sure I dont get ripped off. Im young and look even younger than I am. Thanks

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dhdac wrote:
Is the gun show a good place to buy a first gun from a private seller? Also how do I make sure I dont get ripped off. Im young and look even younger than I am. Thanks

It all depends if there is a private seller who is offering what you are looking for.

From that point forward it is all negotiation - or as we chin-waggers call it, haggling.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430and http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816have great info on checking out revolvers, and http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htmis pretty good for info on checking out the function of a 1911-style semiauto.

You need to enter the gun show knowing both what you are looking for and how much you are willing pay for it - not only for firearm but for any accessories or gunsmithing you may need to bring it into useable-for-you condition. Without those figures etched in stone you are just so much chum in a sea of sharks - kindly, well-meaning sharks, but sharks nevertheless.

If you are not up to speed on all of this technical stuff, you might wantr to find a mentor to take with you.

stay safe.

skidmark