Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is hi point a good gun?

Post imported post

hi everyone, i just joined and would like to know about hi point for open carry, i'll be using a fobus holster. i chose the hi point over cobra because the dealer told me they were better guns, but i want to know what you all think. i'm on a fixed income and can't afford the other exspensive guns, it took awhile to save for the hi point. any help would be appreciated, thanks. ps, i live in kentucky.

Post imported post

I have the Hi-Point C9 and for the money it is a good gun. You need to do a little tweaking to the magazines to ensure they feed correctly from the start, but that is easy. And if you can, remove the slide and polish the feed ramp. That will ensure that the powdercoat that the gun comes with doesn't chip and hang up any rounds.

Once these two things are done, you will have a reliable affordable weapon.

I have put about 700 rounds through mine and the few misfeeds that I have encountered have been because I didn't keep my wrist tight.

Oh yeah, be prepared for a whole bunch of people who have never even held a Hi-Point to chime in with "Hi-Points are Crap" or "What? A Ghetto Glock? Are you crazy?" Ignore them. The people who have actually owned them either like them and the way the perform, or they don't like them because of ergonomics, they don't like the "feel" of the gun.

Post imported post

Oh yeah, and go into your profile and update your information.

Post imported post

Hey, welcome, Boomer!

I have used a C9 myself, and own a 995 Carbine, which I believe is baed off the C9. It's a GREAT piece of work.

We've already got a great deal of discussion on the C9 here...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/3666.html

... if you want to join in.

P.S. The warranty IS as good as they say! I've had to use it, and it was even my fault!

Also, what Decoligny said is right on the money. Prepare for the haters, and laugh at 'em.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I have a Hi-point JHP .45. Love it! Well worth the money, and has performed great! Just don't limp wrist when you shoot since that can cause a jam.

As for a carry weapon, it's my OC choice. I hear that if your holster covers the trigger well, and the safety is not in danger if accidentally getting knocked off, carrying it with a round in the chamber is doable.

I doubt you'll find any better bang for your buck outside of Hi-Point.

Post imported post

i have the C9 too. Nice pistol for the price. I use it for my carry pistol at the moment.

Post imported post

On a budget, you can't beat a Hi Point or a milsurp pistol. I've never shot a Hi Point, but I've seen plenty at the range, and I've NEVER seen a Hi Point jam. All I can say is don't be afraid of the low cost. They might not even have a face a mother could love, but they seem to work great.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Hi-Point's are ugly, heavy, cheap, but go bang every time you pull the trigger. People who have never used one hate them but those that own one love them. I have one and have no problems with it and for the price you can't beat it. It is not a concealed carry gun but will work fine for OC and is as reliable as any other gun I have found.

Post imported post

I have two, a C9 and a CF.380 They both work flawlessly.

Their trigger is actually pretty nice, and they are decently accurate.

The downsides, aren't bad at all, They are ugly, loud, and have heavy recoil for their caliber.

But I love them both.

My wife carries the .380 I would carry the 9mm, but I got my XD very shortly after I got the C9, and I got a Serpa for that one, so that is my carry gun.

That being said, I would definitely trust the C9 for a carry gun.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    The downsides, aren't bad at all, They are ugly, loud, and have heavy recoil for their caliber.
    Just a note, the recoil for my 45 seems to be less than most 45's due to the weight. I don't know about the C9 since I've never shot that.

Post imported post

Well, my XD recoils much less than the C9. I believe because of the weight of the slide vs. the weight and size of the frame.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Well, my XD recoils much less than the C9. I believe because of the weight of the slide vs. the weight and size of the frame.
    Agreed..... I too have a C9 and it kicks almost as much as my XD .40 IMO. I have put 150 rds. through the C9 and two times the last round in the mag FTF and turned straight up, I wonder if that's a mag, ammo or limp wrist problem? BTW I don't usually have an issue with limp wristing. I like the High Point though, very accurate.

Post imported post

Tried a little oil in slide rails?

Tried waiting until you're at 500 rounds?

Post imported post

Yeah I actually wasn't even going to mention it until I had properly cleaned and lubed it, and put more rounds through it. Like I said though I do really like the High Point....well except for tearing it down

Post imported post

Yeah, give 'er a clean and lube, another 7 boxes of bang bang, and see how it does after that.

It's just like breaking in a new car.

Post imported post

holeinhead wrote:
    As for a carry weapon, it's my OC choice. I hear that if your holster covers the trigger well, and the safety is not in danger if accidentally getting knocked off, carrying it with a round in the chamber is doable.
    just a quick comment on this. I have a C9, and have decided to make it my regular carry gun, at least for the foreseeable future. since I was a little worried about the safety of carrying a Hi point hot ( it specifically says not to do so in the owners manual), I contacted HP tech support. the gentleman I talked to assured me that the warning was in the manual solely based on teh fact that some holstersfit loose and allow the gun to much wiggle room, possibly taking the safety off. I was matter-of-factly informed that as long as the holster fit right, the C( was just as safe as any other weapon to carry hot.

The safety mechanism is equipped with a mag safety, a drop safety ( ever hear the rattle with the mag out? that's what it is) andthe manual safety blocks the firing pin from contacting the primer.

Post imported post

Good to hear, I'm glad of that.

Post imported post

holeinhead wrote:
    I have a Hi-point JHP .45. Love it! Well worth the money, and has performed great! Just don't limp wrist when you shoot since that can cause a jam.

I doubt you'll find any better bang for your buck outside of Hi-Point.
    Dammit, now I really need to change my avatar.......I carried a Hi Point 45 for over a year, always been a good gun.

Post imported post

I am a Hi Point owner (although I now carry a Glock 22) and I hate the damn thing. My magazine will not stay in. At first I though it was because the magazine release button was pressing against the inside of the holster, so I filed the button down. However, when the problem persisted, I discovered that a slight tug on the bottom of the magazine (while it is still in the gun!) was enough to make it slide out.

One good thing about the Hi Point compared to my Glock, however, is the trigger pull, which to me, is comparagble to that of a 1911. Furthermore, all Hi Point guns come with a lifetime no questions asked warranty, regardless of whether you're the original owner. I suppose when I get around to it, I'll send mine in and have the magazine problem fixed, but I'm enjoying my Glock too much to think much about it right now.

Post imported post

Your mag release spring is weak.

You can disassemble the weapon and add a small coil spring under the button and it will help with this. I used to have this problem, and I did this and it worked well.

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    I am a Hi Point owner (although I now carry a Glock 22) and I hate the damn thing. My magazine will not stay in. At first I though it was because the magazine release button was pressing against the inside of the holster, so I filed the button down. However, when the problem persisted, I discovered that a slight tug on the bottom of the magazine (while it is still in the gun!) was enough to make it slide out.
    And WHY haven't you sent this off to be fixed? :P

Wadda ya gonna do when your Glock Kbs? Send 'em both off at once?

Post imported post

High points are alright. I have a 45 and its an alright gun. It shoots pretty accurate.HOWEVER, there is not an high capacity mag for this gun. They look ugly, and they are extremely top heavy.

So if your lookin for something cheap, go with the high point, if you want a nice gun, nice feel and nice weight, get something else.

Post imported post

I have had my C9 for a few months now and can only find 2 faults with it. Lack of accessories and the extreem diffaculity in breaking it down. With the first fault, are any of you aware of a good holster for the C9. Preferably one with some type of retention? I currently use the IWB from Uncle Mikes, but while concealed it does not hold very steady, and there is no way I want to make a regular practice of OC'ing with this holster.

As far as the performance of my C9, my first 100 rounds down the range with it, before cleaning or anything fired flawlessly. As a matter of fact, the ONLY misfires / jams I have ever encountered with my C9 was at my CPL class using lead free rounds. Those things jammed constantly! I was actually a little worried since that was the second time I had fired the gun. But since the class I have fired at least another 300 rounds with it using cheap rounds and have not had one single jam.

Post imported post

Tattss1 wrote:
    I have had my C9 for a few months now and can only find 2 faults with it. Lack of accessories and the extreem diffaculity in breaking it down. With the first fault, are any of you aware of a good holster for the C9. Preferably one with some type of retention? I currently use the IWB from Uncle Mikes, but while concealed it does not hold very steady, and there is no way I want to make a regular practice of OC'ing with this holster.

As far as the performance of my C9, my first 100 rounds down the range with it, before cleaning or anything fired flawlessly. As a matter of fact, the ONLY misfires / jams I have ever encountered with my C9 was at my CPL class using lead free rounds. Those things jammed constantly! I was actually a little worried since that was the second time I had fired the gun. But since the class I have fired at least another 300 rounds with it using cheap rounds and have not had one single jam.
    What do you expect ? It's a $150 dollar gun.

I'd say buy one for every drawer in the house !

OR, save your money and buy you sometyhing NICE. XD/Glock/SIG/ etc.etc.

Post imported post

ANY gun will tend to have problems in its breakin period (first 500).

Even my XD would FTE a lot before I gave it a good clean, lube, and healthy diet in its younger days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast