• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire Mission! Poll for Mr. Heller Presentation Handgun!

AnaxImperator

imported post

Please sign up on Gunsnet.net, and if you're down for the idea, vote! While I'm sure Mr. Heller will likely be deluged with gift firearms from grateful Americans & gun-advocacy groups/websites, I'm willing to bet that 98% of them will be sent right back.... as semiautomatic handguns & rifles are still illegal in DC.

But we at Gunsnet decided that rather than possibly force the poor guy into another lawsuit against DC on the semiauto issue, we'll present him with a handgun that he can actually register and keep in DC.

Poll- Which Handgun for Mr. Heller?

But please don't vote unless you're willing to donate to the cost of the handgun you voted for.

I'm pulling for the Smith & Wesson Model 327 TRR8. It's S&W's newestPerformance Centerrevolver.... and a high-capacity (8-rounds).357 Mag at that!!! Plus it features an accessory-rail under the 5" barrel, with an includedtop-rail for optics. I personally cannot think of a revolver currently on the market that would give aOC/CC defensiveautoloader a run for its money better than the S&W 327 TRR8.

170269_large.jpg

So far the S&W Model 29 is pulling ahead in the poll.... seems that a lot of Gunsnet voters seem to think that Mr. Heller is a ringer for Harry Callahan, and that a blued6-1/2" barrelled,.44MagModel 29 would be suitable for the defense of his home & his work as a security guard. :quirky

Michigander

imported post

I simply am not going to forgive him for his comments regarding full auto's. As far as I'm concerned you're either with or against gun owners as a whole, and he is against.

thx997303

imported post

They didn't push for full autos in the case.

After listening to the arguments and reading the transcripts, it is apparent to me that if Mr. Gura had argued for fully automatic weapons, we would be staring down the business end of the ruling.

We have a victory which is a platform that we can now use against bans on guns.
The key words are "in common usage"

The trick is to prove that fully automatic weapons would be in common usage if they weren't banned and therefore horribly expensive.

This isn't the end, it's only the beginning.

Michigander

imported post

Exactly. He wanted to put himself first, his only goal was apparently to get the right to own a handgun for himself and maybe his local friends. I have fought hard for full auto rights, emailing, calling and otherwise talking to a lot of politicians, educating others, and encouraging people who feel the same way to do the same. To have him so uncaringly throw me under the bus really pissed me off.

thx997303

imported post

This is not an US Vs Dick Heller thing okay?

The truth is, if he lost WE ALL LOST. This case set the precedent by which gun control will now be judged.

They could have tried to argue for full auto weapons and lost.

Then where would we be?

I'll tell you where we would be, Total Gun Ban 2008.

Either that, or we would only be able to own single shot rifles for "Sporting Purposes"

And we would have to store our guns at a "Gun club"

Mr. Gura arguing for Fully automatic weapons would have been a huge mistake.

Have you listened to the audio file of the case?

If not, then here is a nice recording.

http://guntalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=318947

All of this does not mean that we will never be able to buy full autos in the future.

We just need to fight for it, and now we have a foundation with which to work.

ETA: The case was narrow by design. If it was too broad, SCOTUS may not have even taken the case and left it to the lower courts. Which would have done us no good really.

Keep in mind, the DC gun ban was declared unconstitutional long before it reached the supreme court. But it didn't carry this sort of weight, and would have only affected those in DC.

Oh yeah, and this put to rest the whole Collective Vs Individual right crap.

I really think you were asking too much out of this.

AnaxImperator

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
This is not an US Vs Dick Heller thing okay?

The truth is, if he lost WE ALL LOST. This case set the precedent by which gun control will now be judged.

They could have tried to argue for full auto weapons and lost.

Then where would we be?

I'll tell you where we would be, Total Gun Ban 2008........... Either that, or we would only be able to own single shot rifles for "Sporting Purposes"............ And we would have to store our guns at a "Gun club"......... Mr. Gura arguing for Fully automatic weapons would have been a huge mistake.
------------------
Oh yeah, and this put to rest the whole Collective Vs Individual right crap.

I really think you were asking too much out of this.

You completed my reply to Michigander before I could get around to it...... and I couldn't have said it better myself. DC vs. Heller wasn't about full-auto (or even semi-auto) firearms; Mr. Heller (via Mr. Gura) did not "throw us under the bus", and the case wasn't a self-serving suit solely for the benefit of him & his friends.

A lot of Gunsnet members & myself feel that it would be a nice gesture to present Mr. Heller with a handgun that he can actually own under DC's still existing semi-auto/machinegun ban. Lets not forget that DC is the only place in the entire Nation that considers the Colt 1911 as a machinegun!

thx997303

imported post

Holy Crap! I have 5 machine guns according to that definition.:quirky

I can't believe that they define semi autos as machine guns.

Michigander

imported post

Tomahawk, Wasn't it Heller that said that full auto bans were be a reasonable restriction? I could have sworn that's what they said on the radio.

I disagree whole heartedly with the analogy that if they would have tried to take it too far they would have gone for a total gun ban. They didn't have the votes for an anti ruling, and if the justices didn't want to overturn 922 (o), they wouldn't have. The problem with coming down with a serious gun ban is that for one thing, Montana would secede from the states, which could fairly easily start a civil war. A civil war isn't productive so far as making a bunch of money for the greedy bastards that run the country, so I just don't see that being allowed to happen.

If you come out in one of the biggest gun cases in the history of our nation and say that a ban on any class of small arm for the law abiding is reasonable, in particular one so harmless and un used in crime as registered full auto's, you will forever be a worthless sack of crap to me. I'm not asking you guys to agree with me, but my feelings on this matter will not change.

imperialism2024

imported post

Michigander, I believe you're confusing Mr. Heller with Mr. Gura, one of the attorneys in his case. I agree with much of your sentiment, but I focus it toward Gura, as he was the one throwing FA's under the bus. I have nothing against Mr. Heller. Once gunsnet.net gets together a plan for accepting donations, I'll gladly make one.

<rant>
But hey, everyone wanted a 2nd Amendment case decided before SCOTUS... so we got it, good and hard. So now the anti's can't use the "but it's a collective right!" argument (and instead just say the 2A should be repealed), but essentially legitimized 99% of gun control legislation in existance right now. I'm sorry, but I'm more focused on individual rights than bragging rights. So now we wait a few more decades for a case where SCOTUS corrects itself... and good luck getting all the good little "conservative" justices to look past the use of FA's by "terrorists" and assorted herb-importers.
</rant>