• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you have an interest in applying for a CHL in Oregon?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Currently, the state of Oregon engages in the following forms of discrimination:

1) State of Oregon only allows residents of CONTIGUOUS states to apply. Californians, Washingtonians, Idahoans, and Nevadans can apply, Arizonans, Utahn's, and Montanan's cannot.

2) Even if you a resident of a contiguous state, you are subject to a may-issue statute which requires a "business or legitimate demonstrated need".

3) If you're a non-citizen of the United States, you cannot apply to any jurisdiction at all under the provisions of ORS 166.291. The Sheriff can only waive the residency requirement residents of CONTIGUOUS state, not the citizenship requirement, and the state requires that a non-citizen live in a county for 6 months, and declare to the Immigration services that you make citizenship in the United States, which may trigger your deportation depending on your status.

4) The law, as purely worded, does not give you the right to appeal a revocation or denial of the non-resident CHL issued to contigious state residents. By it's own words, it requires application to the court of the person's residence, which leaves out of staters SOL.

The good news is that this can be challenged similar to the recent case against the Georgia Probate Courts by GeorgiaCarry.org. Even better, at least for 9th circuit, is that using the 2nd amendment isn't even neccesary, it would be a pure "privileges and immunities" challenge. If the state loses in the United States District Court for Oregon, and appeals, it goes up to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which means that a P&I holding requiring a state to accept license applications from all US residents would have a wider effect than just Oregon. Take a guess which state I'm talking about. :D

I cannot sue them myself. I currently possess a CHL, and there's been no attempt to deny a renewal for my CHL. I am a US Citizen, and there's been no attempt to revoke my CHL.

Here's what I need: I need to collate a list of people who want to apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun license (which functions as an open carry license in the "loaded carry ban cities" as well as an open carry license for public buildings), but cannot do so due to the following reasons:

1) Not a US Citizen but resident in a contigious state
2) Not a Resident of a Contigious state.
3) US Citizens of a contigious state who are willing to apply to a jurisdiction that flat out refuses to issue to non-residents.

This will be specifically put into a round file for future use of people ready to go. It may require going to an Oregon county and applying for a license and being denied once funding has been secured.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your personal information off the board.

-Lonnie Wilson

Phssthpok

imported post

Aw hell... I was planning on applying soon anyway... mebbe I'll hit a foul ball into Multnomah county and help get this ball rolling.:p

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I'm for it. I will be soon leasing land that borders Umatilla & Union counties. However, from what I have heard Umatilla County is usually easy to get.

Orygunner

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
I would be happy if they would at least Recognize Out of State CWP's....

There was a reciprocity bill submitted during the last Oregon Legislative session (2007), but it went to the judiciary committee, and sat there until the end of the session.

I Emailedboth of the Representatives that co-sponsored the bill, and one of them replied to say they will be re-submitting it at the start of the next session (2009).

So we can hope Reciprocity with other States will happen by next year :) I occasionally travel to Washington, and they won't honor Oregon's CHL, unless Oregon honors theirs.

...Orygunner...

FMCDH

imported post

I just so happen to be going about this with Washington County right now. My application goes off in the mail tomorrow morning. I have heard that Sheriff Rob Gordon there is fair on this type of thing, and they have a VERY professional 4 page application. Sheriff Gordon is also very protective of his applicants rights not to have their CHL info published or available to the public.

The one thing I am a bit cloudy on however is this line on the application which pertains to the methods by which you can show compliance of ORS 166.291 (f)...

Begin quote:"
(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service. To present proper documentation through the military service, please bring your DD214. Your DD214 MUST indicate training/qualification with a handgun, sidearm or pistol. Should your DD214 indicate only "small arms qualification" it does not qualify as handgun training. In this case, you will need to take a handgun safety course to meet this requirement. Sorry, there are not exceptions allowed by law.
End Quote:"

Now, everything I know about a DD214 is that its what you get AFTER you separate from the service (with the exception of the Army). I can show that I have qualified with a pistol in the military, but not on a DD214 since I am still active duty. I have earned the right to wear the qualification ribbon for the pistol and can show that by documentation, but does that imply enough to qualify? To me, it sounds like its a DD214 or nothing. I have a WA. CPL, and have had one without interruption since 1997. I hear rumors that this helps in some cases.

Input anyone?

FMCDH

imported post

Update:

I just got a call from Washington County Sheriff's Office and they are denying all out of state applications unless the applicant has a business interest withing the county itself. I was advised to try Multnomah. I did not talk to Sheriff Gordon, but a receptionist. The exact wording was..."The sheriff is cracking down on out of state applications...". :cry:

Any other experiences out there regarding this?

FMCDH

imported post

Update: 28 Nov 2008

Had my appointment with Multnomah Sheriff's Office yesterday. Friendly staff and the entire thing took a little more than 5 minutes.

1. They use electronic finger printing system, so no ink. (yeah!)

2. Show your proof of competency. In my case a letter of training in executive protections from 1997. They knew I was active duty military but didn't ask for any military training documentation. (I had it with me just in case)

3. Show two forms of photo I.D. In my case, my drivers license and my Military I.D.

4. Get your picture taken which goes on your CHL.

5. Pay your $65.00 by check or cash.

6. Wait a few weeks and they mail you the CHL in the form of a hard plastic I.D. card. Good for 4 years. Re-application requires all the above except proof of competency.

Information and application for getting a CHL from Multnomah can be found here...
http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm

PM or post any questions you may have. Good Luck!! :)

FMCDH

imported post

Update: Dec 22 2008

Received my CHL from Multnomah County today. Not a bad turn around considering they were warning it would be 5 to 6 weeks. Its a hard plastic card with your color photo and the normal statistics. No bar codes, no holograms. The back side is completely blank.

I received the following form letter with it....

Enclosed is your Multnomah County concealed handgun license. You are required to be in possession of your license whenever you carry a concealed handgun. Failure to carry your concealed handgun license, when you carry a concealed handgun, is prima facie evidence that you do not have a concealed handgun license.

For your information, please remember that you must never carry a concealed weapon in posted private facilities, a federal facility, the courthouse, the Justice Center, the Gresham Division of the District Court, the Donald E. Long Home, Indian Reservations, National Parks, or State Forest Lands. Remember your concealed handgun license is not valid outside the State of ORegon except, in certain states that recognize Oregon permits.

If you have questions regarding a specific place that you would like to carry, please contact that specific place or the agency that they are a part of.

Please be aware of the expiration date of your license. You may not receive notification that your license has expired. Your license is valid for four years, unless revoked.

If you move, you must contact the Concealed Handgun License Unit to apply for a replacement license, which reflects your current address.

If you move out of Multnomah County, contact the Sheriffs Office in the county you have moved to. Your license becomes invalid when you move and is subject to immediate revocation and the applicable reinstatment fees.

If you have any questions about your license, contact the Concealed Handgun License Unit at (503) 251-2417

Sincerely,

BOB SKIPPER
Sheriff

FMCDH

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Well, congratulations!

Kinda wondering about the Sheriff's note in regards to the places you're not allowed to carry concealed...

I found Kevin Starret's page at Oregon Firearms Federation for Multnomah County:
http://oregonfirearms.org/chlcentral/multnomah.htm

Worth a read (his whole site's full o' good stuff, actually)...

...Orygunner...
Actually, that's being discussed over in this thread....
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/18171.html

Thanks for the link. That page is where I started my process to apply in Oregon actually. Always know and obey the laws. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about revoking my CHL if they thought they could for any legitimate reason.

FMCDH

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
I'm curious to know if this is still in the works.
I believe that it was scrapped for the most part due to so many County's being willing to issue and few people from other than the contiguous states that are looking to get a CHL in Oregon. Maybe Lonnie will have more info, but not many people answered when he first posted the proposal.

FMCDH

imported post

Why are you inquiring? Your a Washington resident so they will issue one to you. Did you get denied somewhere?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I had two people signal interest, one in Alaska and one in Montana. I have them roundfiled waiting for three things:

1) Nordyke v. King

2) An attorney willing to take this case on contingency or not charge an arm and a leg up front.

3) Money to start up the case.

Article1section23

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Currently, the state of Oregon engages in the following forms of discrimination:

I cannot sue them myself. I currently possess a CHL, and there's been no attempt to deny a renewal for my CHL. I am a US Citizen, and there's been no attempt to revoke my CHL.

Here's what I need: I need to collate a list of people who want to apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun license (which functions as an open carry license in the "loaded carry ban cities" as well as an open carry license for public buildings), but cannot do so due to the following reasons:

Lonnie,

Can you apply for the license and refuse to pay for the permit to OC (cities/public buildings)? When they deny you, then you will have standing tosue for having to pay for a permit to OC? Of course, I don't know what the statue say..so just wondering?