• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I got a revolver!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Out of curiosity, what model is it and what .357 Magnum loads do you use? I guess I just can't imagine using a reasonably powerful magnum load out of a 15oz revolver, but I'm a skinny dude so maybe I'm just too weak, lol! I REALLY can't imagine using magnum loads in something like the M&P340 or 340PD. Those things only weigh 11 or 12 ounces!!!

Plus, I don't think I'd really benefit from alternating my loads like that. I'd still have a bigger delay before the next shot everytime I fired a magnum load. If I want a .357 I'll probably just get an SP101 or something like a K-Frame or L-Frame S&W.

Right now I want a sub-compact 9mm, like a Glock 26, although I may end up going with a Glock 29 because I still really want a 10mm. I also want a Kel-Tec PF-9 for a really slim pocket gun, so I may just get that and a Glock 29. My next revolver would most likely be a S&W 610 with a 4" barrel.

Oh, I'm going to order some of these rounds from Double Tap today, I'll let you guys know how they are. Getting a 125gr Gold Dot to make 336ft.lb. at 1100fps out of a 1.875" barrel is freakin' awesome!!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_57&products_id=215

I use Federal Hydroshock 158 Grains. Yes shooting a Magnum round from a gun so light is like holding the bullet in your hands and hitting the primer with a nail, (that’s what I always say about it) but if I ever had to use my gun, I won’t mind the punch to much. Firing Magnum rounds from this gun is not something I would make a habit of that’s for sure, but having a magnum round for SD is a must. Bullets lose velocity from short barrels that is why I got the Magnum. Also the wife and use +38 in it, she is a small lady, and gets hurt easily.

My gun is not as pretty as yours. I wanted that color so bad, but I heard they stop making that color for the Mag. The SP101 is a beautiful gun, and I bought my Magnum a guy I met there was carrying one. It would be more practical for the magnum rounds, I think, but I wanted something that was powerful and I could slip in my pocket and just forget it was there, for all day carry. When I was home, when I would wake up, and placed that S&W in my pocket as soon as I put on my jeans.

Model: 340PD
Caliber: .357MAG/.38+P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
Front Sight: Red Ramp Front
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Rubber Grips
Frame: Small - Centennial Style
Finish: Blue / Black
Overall Length: 6 3/8"
Material: Scandium Alloy/Titanium/Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 12 oz.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh, I ended up getting the "clip draw" thing. So far it's been awesome, I carried it all over today and it is really comfortable and firmly held in place, yet if it needs to be drawn it will come out in a hurry. It's also invisible even under a small shirt that actually fits. It doesn't get in the way of opening the cylinder or when you carry it in your pocket either. This is what it looks like installed:

Weak 9mm

imported post

The main problem I have with the clip is that it doesn't provide any protection from something getting caught on the trigger.

In the 1 o'clock position clipped inside the waistband of your pants there's not a whole lot to get caught on. Well, I guess there is one thing.. but that would take some work... :uhoh:

The trigger isn't exactly what I'd call light with a DAO revolver. I would take this clip over any IWB holster honestly, they would just be bulky and annoying. This allows you to carry it absolutely everywhere, honestly I think it will work even if you went jogging in shorts that don't have pockets or belt loops (As long as your shorts actually fit). Plus it's extremely easy to draw compared to any holster I've used, yet it stays in place during pretty much any kind of activity I would do in a given day. I haven't tried to hang upside down with it clipped in, but it seems like it could probably do that as well. If I want I can transfer it to my pocket too, because the clip doesn't increase the overall width more than a few millimeters due to it being offset to the 4:30 position relative to the cylinder.

I guess it just doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you, you probably don't really want a pocket gun anyway. All of the pocket and IWB holsters I've seen are bulky and seem to be more trouble than it's worth for me with a small revolver like this. First of all, I'm too skinny to conceal it at all times if I have to use a holster, it severely limits my choice of clothing. Second, if I have it in my pocket, I don't want to pull it out under stress with a holster over it and then get shot in the face because I can't pull the trigger. One of my favorite things about this firearm is that if you're wearing a jacket you could pull the trigger without even taking it out of your pocket if you had to. That's one of the benefits of a DAO snubby! When it's IWB using this clip, getting it out is extremely simple and it provides maximum concealment for someone with my body type.

Weak 9mm

imported post

So um, would it be total blasphemy if I happened to go trade some stuff in and get a Glock 30?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I just bought a Taurus M 650 B in .357 Magnum for my new wife (I'm getting married tomorrow! :celebrate) Shes loves it and will carry it once we get her permanent residency papers!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Could that clipsimply clip onto your pocket and just cover the gun with your shirt, where you do not have to place your hand all the way in your pocket... Using a pocket holster does take practice to do it without the holster coming out with the gun. The only time I had the holster come out is when I did not really try to draw correctly,just did ahalf a**draw.

Weak 9mm

imported post

What stuff?
Guns I don't use anymore.

Could that clip simply clip onto your pocket and just cover the gun with your shirt, where you do not have to place your hand all the way in your pocket...
Yep, as long as your shirt was long enough to cover the grip if you're going CC. I tried that yesterday when I was at home actually, but my shirt wasn't long enough to cover it so I didn't wear it out like that. It works just fine in that position. It really makes the gun significantly more versatile.

Using a pocket holster does take practice to do it without the holster coming out with the gun. The only time I had the holster come out is when I did not really try to draw correctly, just did a half a** draw.
Yeah, plus they're bulky and like I was saying, I'm skinny and I actually wear clothes that fit to a reasonable degree, so I have a lot of trouble concealing a handgun. When it's clipped on my waistband it dissapears and with that clip on it will still disappear into a pocket. Plus, like you were asking about, if you wanted to you could also clip it on the seam of your pocket so the grip is just right there. It's SO easy to draw from any of those positions, easier than anything else I've ever seen to be honest. The draw is smooth as butter. :cool:

For me another key issue with a CC weapon is that you've got to get it out in a hurry and under stress. You're already at a disadvantage, but this clip draw thing makes drawing incredibly quick, easy and almost foolproof. You don't have to conceal it in some crazy place that's impossible to get to even in tight summer clothing with no pockets. It's only like $19 anyway, so it's worth a try for anyone IMO. It costs way less than an acceptable IWB holster, which again generally has the restriction of requiring a belt and is really bulky. If you're wearing clothes that fit, the holster makes them look kind of strange IMO. Like you have this weird spot on your waist that sticks out more. But this thing is not in any way noticeable. When clipped at about 1 o'clock IWB the grip is right there too.

Basically, if you're a holster kind of guy you'd have to buy an IWB holster and a pocket holster to have this kind of versatility. And even then, you wouldn't have the same versatility because if you went out in pants with no belt loops or pockets you can't carry it very easily at all. Plus, you couldn't readily convert from one mode of carry to the other at any time. If you were to go jogging or to work out it would be weird in a pocket holster because it would keep bouncing and stuff as you moved around, but clipping it IWB would make it just fine for that application as it will stay in place perfectly. Considering someone jogging locally was murdered and had their carcass dumped somewhere recently (And I'd imagine that was probably over money for someone's crack fix, what a stupid reason to die), that is a reasonable concern to have. I got this revolver with the intention of it being a 24/7 gun. The clip draw helps it do that job even better and at an affordable price. It comes in stainless or black to suit the color of your revolver btw.

Ok, I don't know how to post more than one picture per post so I may have to make a few posts in order to show you guys what it looks like.

First of all, this is what it looks like when you're wearing it with a shirt that is pretty small.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Clipped to the seam of the pocket, like deepdiver was asking about:

ODA 226

imported post

Thanksto all of you for your kind words! The wedding went quite well! As always, I was dressed for the occasion! ;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Thanksto all of you for your kind words! The wedding went quite well! As always, I was dressed for the occasion! ;)
"I thought you'd be bigger." - Roadhouse :p

Nice pistol. Lovely woman. Congratulations. If that is not your now wife but instead say an unmarried sister ....

UTOC-45-44

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Nice pistol. Lovely woman. Congratulations. If that is not your now wife but instead say an unmarried sister ....

There was a pistol in the Pic...:shock:...:p...:lol:

I all I saw was a HOT woman.;)

By golly don't say that's your wife...:what:...LUCKY B*S*A*D:cuss:

TJ

ODA 226

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

There was a pistol in the Pic...:shock:...:p...:lol:

I all I saw was a HOT woman.;)

By golly don't say that's your wife...:what:...LUCKY B*S*A*D:cuss:

TJ
Roadhouse,

I'm 6'0" 222! How much bigger did you expect me to be? When I was younger, I was 265 lbs at 9 % body fat!