• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I got a revolver!

Weak 9mm

imported post

It's a S&W 642 Airweight, it should be a nice little handgun for CC. I put it next to the Glock 17 for a size reference. It'll be cruisin' around with me and some 135gr +P Gold Dots for now. :cool:

I feel pretty happy with it, especially as far as reliability will be concerned. What do you guys think?

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh, I forgot to mention that while I was in there I got a chance to check out the Ruger LCP. That is a really nice looking little gun, with a really great feel considering it's size. It's feather light and it seemed to be of significantly higher build quality than the Kel-Tec P-32s they had. The plastics used just look a whole lot better than the Kel-Tec and the price wasn't bad at all. They said the waiting list was really long for it, quite a few people have already paid for theirs and are waiting. After I saw it I can see why honestly, it seems like a nice little gun. I think I might have to get one after they stop being backordered.

Does anyone know what the deal is with that BTW? Is it that Ruger is just trying to build up the hype so their sales will go up or something?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention that while I was in there I got a chance to check out the Ruger LCP. That is a really nice looking little gun, with a really great feel considering it's size. It's feather light and it seemed to be of significantly higher build quality than the Kel-Tec P-32s they had. The plastics used just look a whole lot better than the Kel-Tec and the price wasn't bad at all. They said the waiting list was really long for it, quite a few people have already paid for theirs and are waiting. After I saw it I can see why honestly, it seems like a nice little gun. I think I might have to get one after they stop being backordered.

Does anyone know what the deal is with that BTW? Is it that Ruger is just trying to build up the hype so their sales will go up or something?
You have to have something to sell to build up sales, that said they are selling everyone they make. It's just that demand has outstripped supply. The situation at the shop you went to is virtually the same at every other gunshop around.

Weak 9mm

imported post

First of all, thank you guys for all of the kind words, I'm really glad I finally joined the revolver crew!

Ah, I would have got a .357 mag. Two guns in one
Yeah, thx997303, I know what you mean in theory, but I wouldn't want to shoot magnum loads out of something this small and lightweight (I'm pretty sure it weighs 15oz, lol). The capabilities of the .38 Special +P will be just fine for me anyway. Loaded with 135gr +P Gold Dots it will do everything I need it to in terms of expansion and penetration. I prefer to have quicker follow up shots rather than all out power in something like this anyway. They did have a Ruger SP101 there which is capable of shooting magnum loads and it's heavy enough to probably shoot magnum loads with a reasonable amount of comfort, but it's too big for me to easily conceal like I want to. My number one priority with this purchase was to have something that could be concealed in any type of clothing while providing 100% reliability. I wanted a really easily concealed, super reliable, good looking, awesome revolver and that's what I ended up with! I got it for a pretty good price too. :cool:

Congratulations on your new purchase. What kind of holster do you plan on carrying it in?
Thank you! I plan on carrying it using a clip like this, I'm still not 100% decided, but I really think it will probably be what I use:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=441780

That's how both of the guys at the store were carrying theirs and it seemed to work really well. It was funny because when I asked what they thought about the S&W Airweight they both lifted up their shirts a bit and revealed that they both owned one and carried it, lol. I was pretty much set on the S&W anyway, but that really sealed the deal for me.

This clip should be really useful I think. That way I won't have a big holster or something to deal with. I want this to be a handgun that I can conceal in any type of clothing because it's going to be my 24/7 carry gun. It will be a backup when I'm carrying my Glock 17 and a primary when I'm CCing, at least for now. I really want a Glock 26 for CC too, but if I get that then I'll be carrying it as well as the S&W. It's probably one of the better investments I've made honestly, I think it's going to be my new best friend. It is extremely practical, has a dead reliable design and it can always be with me.

But anyway, back to the question. I'm a pretty thin guy so it's quite difficult for me to conceal a handgun without dressing like an idiot (ie - I'd have to wear a huge shirt and baggy pants, like an idiot thug or something, G-Unit y0!). The clip allows you to carry IWB and I plan on keeping it at 1 or 2 o'clock for easy access and concealment. If I don't get the clip it will have to be an IWB holster that isn't bulky at all. During the winter I'll carry it in my strong side jacket pocket, you could actually just fire through the jacket if you had to!

I have one of those, and I love it. NICE color.
It seems like everyone who has one of these S&W snubbies has nothing but good things to say about it. That great color was another thing that sold me on the 642 btw, this thing is a piece of mechanical art! I really like the writing on it too. See, now I have post another photo of it, lol. :)

thx997303

imported post

Well, you chose a great gun. I'm looking at getting an old K-frame smith in .357

The thing's is new unfired in the box from the 50's. Course that isn't set yet, but if I get it I will post pics.

OBXMIKE

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Ah, I would have got a .357 mag. Two guns in one.;)

I went this route.

I still have 19 of the 20 rounds of federal .357 loads in the original box.....one was enough!!

.38+p for me, thank you!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
First of all, thank you guys for all of the kind words, I'm really glad I finally joined the revolver crew!

Ah, I would have got a .357 mag. Two guns in one
Yeah, thx997303, I know what you mean in theory, but I wouldn't want to shoot magnum loads out of something this small and lightweight (I'm pretty sure it weighs 15oz, lol). The capabilities of the .38 Special +P will be just fine for me anyway. Loaded with 135gr +P Gold Dots it will do everything I need it to in terms of expansion and penetration. I prefer to have quicker follow up shots rather than all out power in something like this anyway. They did have a Ruger SP101 there which is capable of shooting magnum loads and it's heavy enough to probably shoot magnum loads with a reasonable amount of comfort, but it's too big for me to easily conceal like I want to. My number one priority with this purchase was to have something that could be concealed in any type of clothing while providing 100% reliability. I wanted a really easily concealed, super reliable, good looking, awesome revolver and that's what I ended up with! I got it for a pretty good price too. :cool:

What I am about to say is like kicking a dead dog. You already have the +38. which is a good round, but I would just like to chime in if I may ....thank you.

I have the .357mag in S&W J-frame. This is what I think on the matter. When I target practice, I can fire +38 from it. From time to time I could load a .357 in it. But when I carry I could alter the rounds +38,.357 +38,357,357, there you have your quick follow up shots and still have the .357 in the mix. Just putting in my .02.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Out of curiosity, what model is it and what .357 Magnum loads do you use? I guess I just can't imagine using a reasonably powerful magnum load out of a 15oz revolver, but I'm a skinny dude so maybe I'm just too weak, lol! I REALLY can't imagine using magnum loads in something like the M&P340 or 340PD. Those things only weigh 11 or 12 ounces!!!

Plus, I don't think I'd really benefit from alternating my loads like that. I'd still have a bigger delay before the next shot everytime I fired a magnum load. If I want a .357 I'll probably just get an SP101 or something like a K-Frame or L-Frame S&W.

Right now I want a sub-compact 9mm, like a Glock 26, although I may end up going with a Glock 29 because I still really want a 10mm. I also want a Kel-Tec PF-9 for a really slim pocket gun, so I may just get that and a Glock 29. My next revolver would most likely be a S&W 610 with a 4" barrel.

Oh, I'm going to order some of these rounds from Double Tap today, I'll let you guys know how they are. Getting a 125gr Gold Dot to make 336ft.lb. at 1100fps out of a 1.875" barrel is freakin' awesome!!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_57&products_id=215

ODA 226

imported post

I just bought a Taurus M 650 B in .357 Magnum for my new wife (I'm getting married tomorrow! :celebrate) Shes loves it and will carry it once we get her permanent residency papers!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
It's a S&W 642 Airweight, it should be a nice little handgun for CC. I put it next to the Glock 17 for a size reference. It'll be cruisin' around with me and some 135gr +P Gold Dots for now. :cool:

I feel pretty happy with it, especially as far as reliability will be concerned. What do you guys think?

Nice. My wife wants one too, but with the laser grip. I mean she want the the 637 with a hammer in +P.

I would like to have one for ankle carry myself.

Nice shooter

TJ