• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I used my gun yesterday..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So about a month ago, there was a girl shot in the parking lot of the building next to my apartment (link). The shooting happened during a confrontation involving at least 20 idiots that constantly hang around there playing loud music, drinking, and just being obnoxious.

Well yesterday I was walking down to the car as my girlfriend and I headed out to dinner. I happened to be sporting my new shoulder holster for my SW99 :D. I heard yelling as I came down the stairs, and when I stepped into the parking lot I see a group of at least 20 people in that same parking lot again, yelling and someone was throwing punches. My girlfriend was already to the car, so I tossed her the keys so she could get in, and I started to retrieve my cellphone. Just then, before I had my phone out, I saw one of the guys in the group turn and see me standing there. He immediatelyyelled "oh @($*!! lets go!" and the group dispersed. I kept my distance and called the cops to let them know that there had been another group and a fight had started, but people were clearing out, then I headed to dinner. I didn't get to the end of my street before two police cars sped past me in the opposite direction.

So yeah, for a split second I had the feeling that I might have to take some sort of action, but luckily I didn't have to. I am now thoroughly convinced, though, that open carry does absolutely deter crime.

danbus

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So about a month ago, there was a girl shot in the parking lot of the building next to my apartment (link). The shooting happened during a confrontation involving at least 20 idiots that constantly hang around there playing loud music, drinking, and just being obnoxious.

Well yesterday I was walking down to the car as my girlfriend and I headed out to dinner. I happened to be sporting my new shoulder holster for my SW99 :D. I heard yelling as I came down the stairs, and when I stepped into the parking lot I see a group of at least 20 people in that same parking lot again, yelling and someone was throwing punches. My girlfriend was already to the car, so I tossed her the keys so she could get in, and I started to retrieve my cellphone. Just then, before I had my phone out, I saw one of the guys in the group turn and see me standing there. He immediatelyyelled "oh @($*!! lets go!" and the group dispersed. I kept my distance and called the cops to let them know that there had been another group and a fight had started, but people were clearing out, then I headed to dinner. I didn't get to the end of my street before two police cars sped past me in the opposite direction.

So yeah, for a split second I had the feeling that I might have to take some sort of action, but luckily I didn't have to. I am now thoroughly convinced, though, that open carry does absolutely deter crime.
Word.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

interesting...

you stopped the fight by doing nothing, either they saw the gun or you on the phone looking at them and decided it was enough. I'm sure they saw the gun and thought you were a cop.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

usSiR wrote:
interesting...

you stopped the fight by doing nothing, either they saw the gun or you on the phone looking at them and decided it was enough. I'm sure they saw the gun and thought you were a cop.

The phone wasn't even out yet. I paused for a moment with my hand in my pocket to see what was going on, so I could decide whether I needed to call or intervene. That is when the guy yelled and everyone ran off.

Most of the neighbors around here know I carry, since I'm in and out of the apartment on a regular basis. The kids in the building on the OTHER side like it when the girlfriend and I come back from the range, because they usually get a glimpse of the mossberg and/or the .308 winchester :D. Anyway they may have thought "cop", or they may have just thought "oh crap, there's that guy with the gun" lol. Either way, things went well.