• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Best Answer Of All Time

Alec411

imported post

If my mother handed me her handgun, saying "it isn't loaded"; I'd still check the the gun, twice!

Weak 9mm

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Purchase some plain white business cards, with the words:

Google Search: Lee Paige

The next time someone asks you why you carry, simply reply "Because Lee Paige might be nearby." Then, give them a card.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY
My favorite part about that video (At least the full length version), is that he says to the guy on the phone "I had an AD."

NO, DUMBS**T, YOU HAD A NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE! THAT WAS NO ACCIDENT.

(It's incredibly easy to see that there's a loaded magazine in a Glock. The fact that he didn't notice it is insane.

I also love the part where he tries to show them another gun and people start muttering stuff and you hear some people yell "NO!"

cjlandry

imported post

If you understand Glocks (which I'm sure most of you do), you can see that he's planning to field strip the gun. Unfortunately, he starts off in the wrong order. He drops the slide, then he drops the magazine. He points the gun down to pull the trigger in preparation for removing the slide. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that he'd just chambered a round.

He was so busy bragging about how professional he was that he failed to pay attention to what he was doing.

I don't understand how "Because Lee Paige might be around" would be a "good answer", or how it relates to open carry, but the video is often good for a laugh.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cjlandry wrote:
If you understand Glocks (which I'm sure most of you do), you can see that he's planning to field strip the gun. Unfortunately, he starts off in the wrong order. He drops the slide, then he drops the magazine. He points the gun down to pull the trigger in preparation for removing the slide. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that he'd just chambered a round.

He was so busy bragging about how professional he was that he failed to pay attention to what he was doing.

I don't understand how "Because Lee Paige might be around" would be a "good answer", or how it relates to open carry, but the video is often good for a laugh.
The point of the joke was that if we don't carry, then we are dependent on law enforcement to protect us. And while most law enforcement are professional, competent individuals, if you are unlucky enough to be in a position to need a firearm, then you might be just unlucky enough to have a Lee Paige responding to the call.

I would rather be responsible for my own protection. :)

cjlandry

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
cjlandry wrote:
The point of the joke was that if we don't carry, then we are dependent on law enforcement to protect us. And while most law enforcement are professional, competent individuals, if you are unlucky enough to be in a position to need a firearm, then you might be just unlucky enough to have a Lee Paige responding to the call.

I would rather be responsible for my own protection. :)
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. :cool:

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alec411 wrote:
If my mother handed me her handgun, saying "it isn't loaded"; I'd still check the the gun, twice!
Amen, and that's why you'll never accidentally shoot yourself in the foot with an "unloaded" handgun. You're just the sort of gun owner I prefer to be around.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think most gun owners would do the same. We know that we are responsible for our actions and possessions.

The problem is that when you tell idiots that they're "professional enough" to have a gun, it gets to their head, and they start to believe it at face value.

Weak 9mm

imported post

The interesting this is that the idiot that shot himself might not have been the only person in the room capable of safely handling a firearm (This is assuming he hadn't shot himself and the statement had been true). His ego was so inflated that he truly believed that nobody else in there was capable of handling a firearm, even though there were adults everywhere.

Honestly, I believe there were children in there who were more competent with firearm handling than he was. I can't stand that attitude coming from LEO's, thinking that their job title makes them more knowledgeable than anyone else. Lots of citizens believe that fallacy as well. They think that because someone is an LEO, they must know the answer to "x, y or z."

Another thing that gets me is that motorcycle cops do not wave apparently. None of the ones I've gestured to have gestured back. They're not above physics, that's for sure. Even the badge can't give them that much power. They're on a bike too and they could be hurt just as easily as anyone else on one. It's just common courtesy for motorcyclists to gesture to one another as they go by, but for some reason the police I've seen don't do this. Other riders I've spoken with have said the same thing. Motorcycle police are too cool I guess. :question:

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eah...

Cops have it tough. Everyone bitches about them.

They are taught to be super-professional, because if they aren't, some ass will be filing a complaint.

For example, the Tucson police are trained to refrain from smiling. Somebody made a big stink about how the officer was "laughing at them" while issuing a citation.

Most likely the same thing with motorcops... If they waved back, someone would probably stay they were giving them the finger, or such.

But, to back up your statement, several of the Tucson motorcops are dicks. They would tag a fellow motorcyclist faster than a 4-wheeler. Never did understand that. But, then again, they have to wear black uniforms and buckets in 110 degree heat. Me zipping by in a t-shirt and pair of sunglasses might just piss them off.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well, I'll wear full gear (Other than the fact that I wear thick Blue Jeans instead of leather pants) in any weather, but I do have a mesh jacket so riding in hot weather isn't that bad once I'm moving. I wear a full face helmet, a jacket with CE certified pads, gloves, jeans and boots at all times though. You never know when you'll go down and I'd prefer to walk away from a crash with minimal road rash.

But I guess somebody could say the cops were giving them the finger, so maybe they're told not to wave. LOL.

demnogis

imported post

Wierd... The couple of bike cops and CHPs near my area usually return a wave. Then again, I'm partial to the one's in my neighborhood because they pull over those people on their phones who run the red lights...

Weak 9mm wrote:
Another thing that gets me is that motorcycle cops do not wave apparently. None of the ones I've gestured to have gestured back. They're not above physics, that's for sure. Even the badge can't give them that much power. They're on a bike too and they could be hurt just as easily as anyone else on one. It's just common courtesy for motorcyclists to gesture to one another as they go by, but for some reason the police I've seen don't do this. Other riders I've spoken with have said the same thing. Motorcycle police are too cool I guess. :question:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yes, he's an arrogant, ignorant, no-taking-personal-responsibility-for-it chump.

Affirmative Action...in action.

Let's continue the watering-down of standards and expectations everywhere in this country...it's the new and PC-approved American way.

-- John D.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Yes, he's an arrogant, ignorant, no-taking-personal-responsibility-for-it chump.

Affirmative Action...in action.

Let's continue the watering-down of standards and expectations everywhere in this country...it's the new and PC-approved American way.

-- John D.
Whooooah, there, Nelly....

It took me a second to figure out what the hell you were talking about... :D

What is the matter with you, making an on-topic post?

CAN'T YOU SEE WE ARE DISCUSSING MOTORCOPS?

:lol: